Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Salty Spitoon: Oceanus's Nuvo 16 SPS Adventure

Oceanus

Thank you! That ID seems pretty spot on, the LFS had a huge colony of the stuff. I always get my frags fresh cut lol, the opposite of what I should do. Problem is the LFS only stocks colonies that are super expensive, and I am too impatient to wait for them to cut and heal for a few weeks. The tank feels a lot better with the new rock.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha I do the same from time to time. Never lost any that were fresh cut. I think as long as you get them into the tank quickly enough its not an issue. its when they are cut, glued and shipped where people seem to run into problems.

Yes that seems to be the case. I even get lucky enough that they survive the sloppy gluing. The frogskin acro was polyp out floating in the bag yesterday haha.

• 4 weeks later...

How high do you have your mp10 running at? I have a mixed am running at 25% reef crest and wonder how this measures up with other peoples settings.

My MP10 has the old controller, and the knob is not precise at all. I have the know turned to about 80% on short wave mode. This seems to work well for SPS in my tank; I also have 2 hydor Pico 1200 pumps in the back, for 600 GPH together.

I have my MP10 on Nutrient Transport Mode (Short Pulse). I usually keep it on the 3rd LED sometimes I crank it up to the 4th, but I also have a koralia nano 240 on 12 hrs a day, plus I upgraded the stock pump to an mj1200. My tank is predominantly SPS also.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been 2 weeks, and it's been mostly good growth/encrustation and coloration. I added a new purple digitata and red planet acro this past week. Unfortunately, a few days ago, the smooth skinned green acro on the right of the centre rock began to STN from the base up, for no apparent reason. All of the other SPS and LPS are doing great. I fragged out the STN peice and threw out the main "stalk". Unfortunately, yesterday the frag got the sandpaper skin appearance and I saw some STN at their bases, so I just chucked them because I want no part of this spreading. All of the other acros are growing/encrusting and have good PE and color, no STN at all. I accidentally got a little sloppy with the glue on the new tabling acro and it necrosed a small amount around the base, but has since re encrusted over the dead parts.

There is one other problem. In the last week or so I have had insane amounts of calcium film building up on the front and side glass. Everyday I have to remove it. My params are Ca: 450ppm, Alk: 8dKH, and Mag 1500ppm (I know it's really high, I haven't dosed mag in a while, it used to be unreadably high). If anyone know of a way to stop this, that would be great.

Additionally, I ordered the BRS Dosing Pump kit and it will get here on Thursday! Super excited, because I have to dose around 40ml of alk everyday and am going through premixed 2 part way too fast. I'll try to get some pictures later today, but the calcium buildup is such a pain to remove.

Thank you!

Does anyone have a clue on what this calcium buildup on the front and side panels is all about? Anyway to stop it? I have been using the same supplements for months and this just recently started to happen. Something that has been going on in the same frame is all of my algae has died off.

I am currently using the Seachem Reef Fusion system, but the BRS Dosing kit just got here so I will switch over during the weekend.

So my levels are doing all kinds of weird stuff now and I'm freaking out, so I made a post in the Water Chemistry section. Alk is back to 8dKH today after being 7.3dkH yesterday, and last night's does precipitated (snowflake) out? Ca is down to 275ppm and I can't raise it. Mg is stuck just under 1500ppm. I really need some suggestions guys.

Did a 2g water change with Reef Crystals like I do every week and vacuumed the left side of the tank. Something else I have noticed is all of the algae has died. The little bits of cyano I had are gone, green algae on the glass is gone, calothrix is gone, etc.

Steensj2004
So my levels are doing all kinds of weird stuff now and I'm freaking out, so I made a post in the Water Chemistry section. Alk is back to 8dKH today after being 7.3dkH yesterday, and last night's does precipitated (snowflake) out? Ca is down to 275ppm and I can't raise it. Mg is stuck just under 1500ppm. I really need some suggestions guys.

Did a 2g water change with Reef Crystals like I do every week and vacuumed the left side of the tank. Something else I have noticed is all of the algae has died. The little bits of cyano I had are gone, green algae on the glass is gone, calothrix is gone, etc.

Good luck man... Is playing hell with my Nuvo 16. I have SPS, LPS , and softies doing awesome.... Then others are dying?! My levels stay pretty consistent but I can't get them exactly where I want them. My ALK stays at 9.3 and won't budge either way. I have to dose MAG and Calcium every other day it seems.... But my alk never moves....?

That's really strange. You should check your kit against a reference solution, and see if an LFS kit reads differently. If it is just staying at 9.3 solid, then that's pretty nice. Having to dose Mg every other day is not exactly normal though. What is your kit reading? Are you getting weird precipitation or chunks of solid sand?

Got some bad news today. I had a 1 dKH alk swing yesterday, and my favorite acro (the bushy green one on the left) has got a few patches of STN on the underside. Also, my Calcium is ridiculously low at 220ppm. It has all just been precipitating for the last week or so, couldn't figure it out. I finished up my BRS dosing system this morning and have calcium on currently to raise the level up to 300ppm. Hopefully I don't run into more STN.

Quick little lunchtime update: I have been dripping Calcium into the tank with the BRS doser and polyp extension has increased back to normal on that acro. Ca is still way to low, but it should be back to normal in about 2 days hopefully. No further signs of RTN/STN have manifested on this acro, so hopefully it won't go too much further. All the other SPS are still OK. They're slightly annoyed by the low Ca and the alk swing, but no necrosis and mostly full PE. The BRS dosers are a lifesaver guys, totally worth the money!

That is a very real possibility I suppose. I have been using this batch for the last 3~4 weeks, so that would be 6-8 gallons of bad water that got changed into the system. Just about out of this batch anyways. I don't know if I'll stick with Reef Crystals or try RSCP...thoughts?

Well I'm currently half the country away and this morning the acro showed no further signs of STN. Fingers crossed! Alk was at 8.5dKH so it seems stability my be restored!

Archived