Coral Vue Hydros

The Salty Spitoon: Oceanus's Nuvo 16 SPS Adventure

Oceanus

CrazyCarl

If you really want to know the species of the acro, you can try coralsee.org. they have an acropora key. I have tried to ID a few acros before and I found this site the most useful although sometimes I couldn't get a positive match even when I felt I had all the choices perfect. Those SPS are looking good. Is that a millie on the left?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow thank you for telling me about that website, it is super helpful. That is a red millie on the left, I had it cut off a colony the day I bought it along with the top acro and the stylo. Hopefully it will colour up a little bit more.

I am truly surprised with how simple it can be to keep SPS. I have tried so many times before and any frag I got would RTN or STN within 1 week, with progressively less polyp extension on a day by day basis. All I do on this tank is a 15% weekly water change, ~7ml Ca and Alk each per day, and changing filter floss + carbon. I also have been keeping a logbook with testing on the weekends, and it is quite helpful, and it can help you track problems before they arise.

R.I.P. Sixline wrasse. :( I just saw him swim head on into my vortech and he died instantly. :( I hypothesize something was wrong with him, right? No healthy fish would just swim into a vortech, would it?

Anyways, this is a very sad day. I don't think I'll be getting another fish for the tank. :(:(:(

CrazyCarl

R.I.P. Sixline wrasse. :( I just saw him swim head on into my vortech and he died instantly. :( I hypothesize something was wrong with him, right? No healthy fish would just swim into a vortech, would it?

Anyways, this is a very sad day. I don't think I'll be getting another fish for the tank. :(:(:(

What the crap!?! thats crazy. Really sorry man. Sucks to lose a fish. I would think something was wrong with him but who knows, could just be a freak thing...

Very sorry for your loss. I don't think a normal healthy fish would do that. I am an old salt and I haven't seen that type of behavior anyway.

After I took him out, I noticed one of his eyes was huge and swollen black, but I hadn't noticed anything before hand. Maybe it was blood? He also seemed to have a hazy/whitish sheen on one side. I suspect now that he was probably ill, but sure didn't show it. Earlier today he was swimming around healthy, hungry, and alert. Ah, well somethings weird things happen. :( I had a clownfish jump out of my 125 once. He must have swam head on into vortech, because he couldn't get sucked into the sides. It is on pulse mode. Anyways, I just heard a weird noise, looked over at the tank, and the wrasse was flying through the tank upside down, and then got sucked into the overflow. He had a huge chunk missing from his poor little head. :(

I guess I'll stick to corals.

New blue ORA acro going into the tank today! At $40 it was a steal.

If I do get another fish, I was thinking a yellow "coris" wrasse. A good idea? Bad idea? I like the utility aspect of these wrasses, eating flatworms etc. in case I ever miss something during dip.

New blue ORA acro going into the tank today! At $40 it was a steal.

If I do get another fish, I was thinking a yellow "coris" wrasse. A good idea? Bad idea? I like the utility aspect of these wrasses, eating flatworms etc. in case I ever miss something during dip.

I think a yellow Cori's wrasse would be a good choice. They need meaty foods so you'd have to be careful with your feeding and having the SPS.

That is very true. I do have an overabundance of pods though, and that sixline remained very plump with 2-3 feedings a week. I feed some mysis, so that should do the trick I hope.

Getting some pictures of the new acro tonight! It is really sweet, two of the branches grew together and fused, kinda interesting.

Lol I got a nice purple tort today. This is really an addiction.

Also, I saw the remaining frags of my green acro at the store today. Wow, the color has changed so much. It was a sort of drab green in the store, now it has become neon.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 2 weeks and the tank has sort of been on autopilot as I took AP exams. The good news is everything has been doing well and growing quickly. Some of my SPS have gotten significantly more intense coloration. I also added a new yellow coris wrasse last week, he's been doing well. The mystery acro which I got last week that I thought could be a tort has started to encrust, and I got a nice blue millepora today. Also, I finally upgraded the wimpy stock return pump to 2x Hydor pico evolution 1200s, for 600gph return flow. I saw increased polyp extension today. Started dosing AcroPower today also, so that could have to do with the polyp extension.

Anyways, worthless without pictures. The wrasse retired for the evening before I could get any pictures of him though. :(

FTS :D

001_zps90281fb1.jpg

Right Side

004_zps1b707202.jpg

Left side

003_zps49906275.jpg

Tort (?) and birdsnest

005_zpsde230f7e.jpg

Blue millepora (maricultured form Bali)

006_zpsa36d44b6.jpg

SPS group shot

007_zpsc39b572a.jpg

Another FTS

002_zps313fe6ea.jpg

Looking good. I actually bought a yellow coris wrasse last week and I think he swam into my mp10 after 3 days, just like your six line. I couldn't believe it, but I found him laying on the sand bed barely alive. His head was bruised and his abdomen/back were visibly askew. I am pretty sure the powerhead is the only thing that could cause that kind of damage. So weird… He was perfectly healthy, acclimated well and was eating great. Still in disbelief about it.

That's terrible! My sixline swam straight into the pump, and had a big head injury. You are right, it must have been the mp10, I can't think of anything that would cause those injuries. How big was he? If he was really small, he might have gotten sucked into the side of the pump. Otherwise he must have gone head on like mine did :( .

This is a really strange phenomenon. My wrasse also appeared really healthy and was eating like a pig for about a week before he died. But I can't believe that he really was because I've never heard of something like this. What mode is your mp10 on? Mine is on short wave pulse, so my wrasse probably swam in during a pause.

R.I.P. wrasses :(

That's terrible! My sixline swam straight into the pump, and had a big head injury. You are right, it must have been the mp10, I can't think of anything that would cause those injuries. How big was he? If he was really small, he might have gotten sucked into the side of the pump. Otherwise he must have gone head on like mine did :( .

This is a really strange phenomenon. My wrasse also appeared really healthy and was eating like a pig for about a week before he died. But I can't believe that he really was because I've never heard of something like this. What mode is your mp10 on? Mine is on short wave pulse, so my wrasse probably swam in during a pause.

R.I.P. wrasses :(

He was too big to get sucked in the side. Mine was on Nutrient Transport Mode which is basically short pulse, followed by constant. I was thinking the same, that he darted into it during a pause...

Well that's really sad. Swimming straight in seems like the only way for them to fit inside. Maybe give it another shot? These wrasses are super nice to have in the tank. If I were to miss a flatworm or something during a dip, this guy would clean it up right away. He's always on the hunt.

Exactly why I got him. I have always had a flatworm(red brown colored) population in my tank that has thankfully never gotten out of hand, but I just wanted something to control them a little better.

Thankfully I haven't had to deal with flatworms in years, but he is a nice way to make sure that it won't likely ever become a problem.

Also, I got another acro today. Man, this is really an addiction. It looks like a nice deep blue tenuis with orange polyps.

Yeah you are going to run out of room! It really is an addiction. If it was an actual drug I am pretty sure we'd be on the street completely broke and out of work... Although, I am getting there with the broke part.

Haha I was going to say, it's expensive enough to do that! I just moved some of the acros off of their plugs and glued them to the rocks, couldn't stand the plugs any longer and I finally decided on their final positions.

Legendary Corals

Haha I was going to say, it's expensive enough to do that! I just moved some of the acros off of their plugs and glued them to the rocks, couldn't stand the plugs any longer and I finally decided on their final positions.

It feels 1000000 times better one those ugly plugs are gone.

Removed most of the plugs today, and added a new frogskin acro and a really interesting monti. The monti is branching, but with flat branches? Anyways that makes 12 SPS in the tank now.

Huge day in the tank's life! I removed the purple rock, as it really didn't fit and also the piece on the right side. I put in a new rock that makes it a lot more balanced, and moved acan island to the centre right of the tank. Still need to de-plug the birdsnest and green acro, that will be a pain as the lfs put a lot of glue on them.

FTS

001_zps4fcdd014.jpg

Left side

002_zpsf80f9ca1.jpg

Right side

003_zps0f910c78.jpg

Frogskin acro, got it for $30!

004_zps3033f1d9.jpg

group shot right side

005_zpsa659de84.jpg

Mystery montipora

006_zps61ce221b.jpg