Innovative Marine Aquariums

gsgentry's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 Build (Fried Light Pic)

gsgentry

the noise you're getting is coming from the Tunze skimmer. it's the water flowing around the skimmer. does it sound like a tiny waterfall? i had the same issue w/ mine, but now i hardly notice it.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK... The DIY ATO was a success!! :) Man I love technology!!!

Remember the tanks I installed in the base of the stand? And those brackets and swicthes? Well now it all comes together.

Here I removed the hanger part of the single bracket and glued it to the wall of the ATO tank. I added a float switch here that will be linked to the Apex. I also glued the water line (air tubing) in the corner. This will keep it in place and also pickup water until the very bottom.

DSCN2215_zps6e17fb3c.jpg

Then I placed the remaining 2 switches on the double bracket. This will hang on the back of the tank, into the sump and tell the Apex when the tank needs water. The 2nd switch is strictly as a backup in case the 1st one fails. It is staggered a little higher to prevent any interference with the primary switch.

DSCN2219_zpsc3c55a70.jpg

Here you can see them actually installed on the back of the tank. I am running out of room back there. :)

DSCN2226_zps170c6cdd.jpg

Next I wired all the switches to the Apex via the Breakout Box. The purpose of the 3rd switch, which was the single one in the ATO tank, is when it gets low, the Apex will email and txt me telling me that Switch 3 has been tripped. Then I know I need to fill up the tank. ;) Out of site out of mind with it being down there. So now I can't forget to fill it back up.

DSCN2228_zps914d6b0c.jpg

Now I connected the water lines to the auqalifter pump which sits on the shelf in my stand. (That's my Apple Airport Express on the other side that connects the Apex to my network and internet)

DSCN2231_zps2e2c0301.jpg

And finally, I placed the line in one of the 3 probe holders that I purchased. I screwed it down just enough to hold it in place, but not to restrict the flow. These are really dosing pumps so they pump very slow, which is perfect for this application as well.

DSCN2234_zps2afee6d1.jpg

I set the programming up for my ATO outlet on the Apex, put the failsafes in and then tested it. Worked perfect!! :) Came on and ran for a few, then shut right back off. I had to adjust the float switch a couple of times to get the water right where I wanted it, but it worked like a charm!! This pump is to ally silent too which is pretty cool.

Ok that is all for now. Time to relax for a bit and just watch my empty tank. LOL

I have been playing around with the Apex programming this morning. There is just so much it can do that it is a little mind boggling. I set it up to email/txt me if my ATO Tank needs water and also if the secondary backup switch is activated. This will let me know that the primary ATO switch is bad or that there is some other problem that needs looking in to.

The new lights should be here within a couple of weeks. I am going to follow up with Dave today and check on the progress. It has only been a week since I ordered them, so I assume he has just started them recently.

Next big project will be the DIY AWC. I think I am going to wait a few weeks before I start that one. I want to get more familiar with the Apex and also replenish my checking account some. :)

the noise you're getting is coming from the Tunze skimmer. it's the water flowing around the skimmer. does it sound like a tiny waterfall? i had the same issue w/ mine, but now i hardly notice it.

Yes, that is the noise I am talking about. I don't hear the pump at all. It's just the waterfall affect going around the skimmer and over the magnet. It is just much louder than it was before I installed the skimmer. :)

What light you getting

Currently I have the Ecoxotic 36" Panorama Marine LED Light Kit, but I ordered a custom 24" Duo from Dave at Nano Box Reef. It's going to have plenty of lighting and power to keep anything I desire. Plus, its going to have some bells and whistles that I am having him setup. Should have it in a couple of weeks max. :)

I just spoke with Dave and he is milling the heat sinks as we speak. :)

Does anyone know if the Tunze Skimmer produces a lot of micro-bubbles at first too? I seem to be getting a ton of them. Also, I set it up yesterday and adjusted the air using the mod, and this morning there was a small amount of stuff in collection cup. It wasn't dark, but wasn't clean water either. Looked like very dirty water. But today, I adjust the air all the way up and the bubbles aren't even coming up hardly. I am trying to determine if the skimmer removed all the protein in the tank already, since it is just getting started, or is my airline bent again.

I a thinking of looking at Lowe's for a better hose that may not be prone to kinking and bending so much so I don't have to worry about this anymore.

If anyone can help on this, I appreciate it. :)

I answered my own question. :)

It seems the line was pinched again. I went to Lowes and picked up some of their clear 3/16 ID tubing. This is more firm than regular airline tubing. The only bad thing was that I had to use the dremel to open up the power cord slot some (where the power cord comes out of the skimmer body), since this tubing is a little larger OD. Plugged everything back in and its working like a champ. I do hear the hissing noise now that many have mentioned. It's ok.. I will get used to that as well. LOL

Where should the "bubble" level be with this skimmer?

I've had to turn it way down because it keeps filling up the cup with water. I guess the ato is keeping up with the tank because when I poured the water from the collection cup back into the tank, it tripped the safety switch bevause it had too much water in it. So the Apex is beeping and emails/txts are flying. Guess it was a good test. :)

Current projects are done and we are waiting. Anyone care to pull up a chair and have a beer or drink while we wait? :)

Chime in everyone... What do you think of my build thus far? Tell the good and bad. I love criticism. :) Share your thoughts and ideas.

Current projects are done and we are waiting. Anyone care to pull up a chair and have a beer or drink while we wait? :)

Chime in everyone... What do you think of my build thus far? Tell the good and bad. I love criticism. :) Share your thoughts and ideas.

ill have a beer!.... or 3 :happy:

im loving your build wish i was at the point you were!

Looks like its going great! Every single time I've checked your thread out there's new stuff you've added!

Good to hear about the Apex, I am decided on it for my project I'm setting up next month.

My next step I have to decide is an ATO, keep us posted about how yours is working out for ya.

Anything you all would do differently? Didn't realize I would get new lights so soon, so I could have held off on those to save some money.

The ATO is on its 2nd day and working flawlessly. Couldn't be happier at this point.

I like how you have jumped in with both feet. I think you are really setting everything up for success with your equipment choices. Keep it up.

If you are anything like me you are going to have a hard time waiting for the cycle to finish as you anticipate adding the CUC, livestock and coral. This whole reef thing is about as far away from immediate gratification as you can get. I can't wait to have our tank full stocked and popping but right now our gramma is in QT (case of ich showed up on her) so basically nothing happening in the DT for the next 6 weeks while we let it run its course.

HammerheadV13

I went ahead and did the airline mod to the skimmer and then installed it. I had to take it apart twice since there was a slight pinch in the air line when putting everything back together, but other than that it was pretty easy.

About took my finger off when the magnets attracted to each other. Those things have some power. Good to know it's going to stay out though.

DSCN2207_zpsf2aa231f.jpg

I have noticed that the waterfall into the main sump is much noisier now. I am not sure if this is from the skimmer being there, the water falling onto the magnet on the other side or if I just need to do my daily top off. There are tons of micro bubbles blowing so I am hoping it's just my top off. About to get started on the DIY ATO, so we will see then.

I don't know how I've been missing your thread, great start and I like that you took an outside of the box approach with your equipment and especially your ATO. Question on the Tunze mod, where did you get the valve fitting? What are the specs on it? Also the diameter of your added airline? This mod is everywhere but specifics are not usually listed.

If you are anything like me you are going to have a hard time waiting for the cycle to finish as you anticipate adding the CUC, livestock and coral.

Yes, it is very hard. My daughter is going nuts and can't stand it either. :) But hopefully it will be worth it in the end. I am trying to make the best environment that I can for our future pets.

I don't know how I've been missing your thread, great start and I like that you took an outside of the box approach with your equipment and especially your ATO. Question on the Tunze mod, where did you get the valve fitting? What are the specs on it? Also the diameter of your added airline? This mod is everywhere but specifics are not usually listed.

Thanks! I try to do things different to learn and share results with the others. Hopefully people can benefit from what works and learn from what doesn't. :)

Yes, I agree, there is not much listed as far as details. I got the valve from Marine Depot. Search "Two Little Fishies Micro Valve Barb x Barb". And after using 2 different hoses already, I went to Lowe's and picked up the clear Watts (brand) 5/16 OD - 3/16 ID hose they have in the pluming section. This is firm enough and doesn't kink like both air line tubing I tried. I believe Home Depot sells the same as well.

Hope this helps! :)

No real updates the past couple of days. I have been trying to "fine tune" my ATO switch levels and the skimmer. I think I have them both where I want them now.

One thing that I wish I did differently is purchase the magnetic probe holders, as they will allow you to place the probes lower in the water as opposed to the ones I got that hang on the back. Just something minor, but I may eventually buy one.

Just found a place locally that sells TDS meters so I stopped in to pick one up. I'll go home and calibrate it and then test my tap water and the RO/DI water that I'm getting from the LFS. Curious to see both. :)

Well I am up at 1:00 in the morning babysitting my tank. The alarm went off on my Apex that my ATO failed and emails/txts were coming in and the actual audible alarm woke me up. For some reason the switch that controls my ATO opened but the pump never stopped. It finally stopped when the 2nd switch opened thus triggering the alarm.

I reviewed the history and the ATO normally runs about 60 seconds. But this time it ran for 3 minutes. No clue why!!

I had previously built a lot of confidence in the Apex ATO, but now that is all lost!! I simply don't know why this happened and I currently do not trust it. So I'll wait up a while and watch the dashboard and switches to see what happens. :(

Sorry to hear about your apex, not a cheap unit to be having this many problems with. Dumb question as im a newbie but with your Nuvo 24, it came with a glass top so evaporation cant be all that bad in the first place, or did you remove it for better lighting intensity for your corals?

Polarcollision

I have noticed that the waterfall into the main sump is much noisier now. I am not sure if this is from the skimmer being there, the water falling onto the magnet on the other side or if I just need to do my daily top off. There are tons of micro bubbles blowing so I am hoping it's just my top off. About to get started on the DIY ATO, so we will see then.

Mine gets obnoxiously loud when water evaporates too far and then falls over the same magnets. You'll never hear it when you have the ATO running with water level about 1" below the lip.

If you're getting micro bubbles from the skimmer, might want to look into that. I never had any.

Drop by and let me know how your skimmer does at keeping nitrate levels down. I'm having a tough time getting mine dialed in. Have some good suggestions to try out, but always open to more.

Sorry to hear about your apex, not a cheap unit to be having this many problems with. Dumb question as im a newbie but with your Nuvo 24, it came with a glass top so evaporation cant be all that bad in the first place, or did you remove it for better lighting intensity for your corals?

the back chamber evaporates like crazy. I went to Tap Plastics and had them make a cover for the back chamber in addition to the glass lid.

Yes, as you can see in my thread, I am using a DIY Screen lid from DFS. Love it, even though I evaporate more.

The weird thing is everything has been working just fine until last night. The pump does seem to pump slower though, so I am wondering if it picked up debris in the line. I need to purchase one of those filters for the aqua lifter pump.

Yes... Everything is ok today. All I did was blow out the lines and that seems to have solved the problem. My guess is that a little something was picked up and slowed the pump down some. In turn it refilled the sump so slow that the first sensor didn't really pick it up until the second one did. Before this happened, my history file shows it took 60 seconds to top off. Now it's only taking 30 seconds. I have not moved or adjusted the switches at all. I'm going to invest in the filter for this pump just to be safe. :)

And the 1st switch not picking up doesn't make sense to me either. It should pick it up no matter how fast or slow the pump puts water in. But also, they are only staggered very slightly. No other explanation for it. And the amount of seconds it takes now compared to before only helps assure me that's what it was.

Archived