Top Shelf Aquatics

gahumphrey's Innovative Marine SR-80 Shallow Reef

gahumphrey

Well, less than 24 hours after adding the Diamond Goby, the little guy somehow figured out how to get out of the tank. The crazy part is the screen only leaves a 3/8" opening on one side of the tank. Having the skills of Houdini didn't work out so well for him...

Into the back chamber through the overflow and out the back that is not covered?

I have a goby that I noticed was in my back chamber one day and in the display the next so that is a possibility?

keithfullermusic

Well, less than 24 hours after adding the Diamond Goby, the little guy somehow figured out how to get out of the tank. The crazy part is the screen only leaves a 3/8" opening on one side of the tank. Having the skills of Houdini didn't work out so well for him...

this is one of the biggest problem with these tanks. i have a nuvo 16, and the glass top is a total joke. it leaves about an inch or more gap on the short length, and about a 1/2 inch on the long length. i lost a clown because of it, so i went to joann's fabric and bought white netting then made my own out of window screen framing. i might it about as tight as can be. what's the point of a top if there are gaps at the edge? that's where fish usually get out, because they are trying to get around the glass. they need to make tanks so there is a bunch of empty glass at the top to prevent this, and then you won't even need an ugly top.

• Like 1

Into the back chamber through the overflow and out the back that is not covered?

I have a goby that I noticed was in my back chamber one day and in the display the next so that is a possibility?

Actually he jumped out the front of the tank. The picture I snapped shows the gap at the front of the tank. As keithfullermusic mentioned the screen doesn't cover the entire top of the tank so the crazy little guy somehow must have done well in math and he figured with enough velocity combined with the reduced surface tension due to slimy fish skin, he could just make it through. I wish I had a camera on the tank at night. He had to have tried to end it at least a dozen times before he got out.

this is one of the biggest problem with these tanks. i have a nuvo 16, and the glass top is a total joke. it leaves about an inch or more gap on the short length, and about a 1/2 inch on the long length. i lost a clown because of it, so i went to joann's fabric and bought white netting then made my own out of window screen framing. i might it about as tight as can be. what's the point of a top if there are gaps at the edge? that's where fish usually get out, because they are trying to get around the glass. they need to make tanks so there is a bunch of empty glass at the top to prevent this, and then you won't even need an ugly top.

Good idea, I think i'll make a screen like yours. I love this tank but man it's a money pit.

keithfullermusic

Good idea, I think i'll make a screen like yours. I love this tank but man it's a money pit.

it certainly won't look as pretty as the one that comes with the tank, but it will work better.

i love the idea of these all in one tanks, but they aren't well implemented (at least the IM's). other than the tops, the complete lack of useable space in the rear is so annoying. i understand that something has to be sacrificed in order to make these tanks, but i wish someone would come up with one that allows for real hardware to be placed in them.

also, i hate the the fact that protein skimmers and other equipment can be seen in the rear. it sort of defeats the purpose of these sleek designs. on my freshwater tank, i built a stand and canopy just to hide all the crap.

anyway, that's my rant.

• Like 1

Time for a March update.

Well, yesterday I went to the Denver Reefstock show. It was AWESOME.

I picked up quite a few goodies and also had a buddy of mine give me a couple of frags so the tank is getting loaded up.

Here's what I got:

From my buddy:

5 polyps of Sunny D's

8 branch bright green Montipora Digitata

From Reefstock:

Toxic Green Hammer (1 head)

Red Goniopora frag

red/orange acans

yellow/red/blue acans

Giant orange acan colony (5.5 inches diameter)

Toxic Green Acans (they're toxic green rimmed black center)

Deep orange Acans

Mega zoanthid/paly combo

Orange Darth Maul colony (about 30 polyps)

Whitish/creamish/orange/light green, purple tipped bubble tip anemone (totally amazing color)

As a side note - i believe I have figured out what pissed my euphylliae, my leather and my palys. After tons of research - i believe the biopellets were the issue. Notice I didn't say problem... My parameters were perfect and totally consistent. Gravity 1.024, Temp 78, Phosphates 0, Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0, etc. You get the picture. Apparently the biopellets, when they kicked in, completely stripped all nutrients out of the water with the phos, amm, nitr, etc. I historically only fed the fish every other day because I would constantly battle algae in the biocube. Soooo, I've been feeding every day, sometimes twice a day. Flakes, pellets, mysis, reef snow, etc. I've been doing this for over a week and just about everything is bouncing back. The euphylliae are all making a massive comeback. Most Palys are coming back. Star polyps starting to make a comeback. The leather still looks like it may not make it.

After 1 1/2 weeks still zero signs of algae. Getting new coraline growth on the back wall.

I also modded the setup in the back of the tank. I pulled out the filter sock on the left side of the tank and put my media reactor with the bioplastics in that first chamber. Then in the second chamber right next to the first I installed the Cadlights PLS-50 skimmer. In my research everything said to put the skimmer inline with the flow out of the media reactor. Getting 1 full cup of dark green skim every day.

The Nuvo SR-80 (actually all of the SR series) have two filter socks. We'll see how things go with just using one but so far so good.

Here are some shots of the new babies.

post-78562-0-97597400-1393874841_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-92194000-1393874843_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-70803000-1393874845_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-89805200-1393874847_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-04620700-1393874850_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-01326800-1393874852_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-83274100-1393874853_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-78867600-1393874856_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-47152000-1393874858_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

it certainly won't look as pretty as the one that comes with the tank, but it will work better.

i love the idea of these all in one tanks, but they aren't well implemented (at least the IM's). other than the tops, the complete lack of useable space in the rear is so annoying. i understand that something has to be sacrificed in order to make these tanks, but i wish someone would come up with one that allows for real hardware to be placed in them.

also, i hate the the fact that protein skimmers and other equipment can be seen in the rear. it sort of defeats the purpose of these sleek designs. on my freshwater tank, i built a stand and canopy just to hide all the crap.

anyway, that's my rant.

I came up with an idea to fix the screen gap issue. I bought a $3 roll of weather stripping and attached it to one of the sides of the scree (the side that faces the back of the tank). Now there is only a 1/" gap and it doesn't change the look of the screen. Here's a pic.

post-78562-0-22441200-1393875879_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
blakefoster

how is the cadlights pld50 handling everything now? Are you going to add another or keep it with 1? Just curious because i just purchased a sr-60 and am wondering if it will do the job.... Great looking setup you have!!!

how is the cadlights pld50 handling everything now? Are you going to add another or keep it with 1? Just curious because i just purchased a sr-60 and am wondering if it will do the job.... Great looking setup you have!!!

Thanks for the kind words! Well, I just have up on the PLS-50. After 3 weeks it was still producing way too many microbubbles. In disappointed because I really like the design. It did produce a lot of skimmate. I had to empty a full cup every day. I think the pump body was the culprit because it was cracked upon arrival. I just boxed it up to send back to Marine Depot today and I ordered an AquaC Remora Pro-s with a Dannon 5 super mag drive pump. Its a hang-on-back so I'm hoping that helps micro bubbles. I'm also hoping it isn't affected by the water levels like the pls50.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

any update with the HOB skimmer?

how does it look on the back of the tank.

we need an updated FTS!

I have the skimmer but I haven't put it on yet. Was on vacation last week and traveling again this weekend. Will probably put it on next week but i'm actually in pretty serious debate mode about how much I need it at the moment. One of the things I've realized is that the water is really pristine just by using the bio pellets. There is not a spot of algae (other than coraline) in the entire tank and never has been. I run the lights pretty high from from 8:30am till 6:30pm with 2 hr ramp up/down. The two different Montipora I have and all my LPS are doing fantastic. The soft corals, probably because of the low nutrient level, are receding a bit. I moved most of my Palys back to my BioCube and they're improving. I'm seriously considering making my SR-80 primarily and SPS/LPS tank. Going to add a Setosa, some Acropora and a Stylophora. I'm really digging how well the Montipora corals are doing so I'll add a few more of those (caps, encrusting, digit, the setosa, etc).

Here's a fairly recent FTS. I'll snap a better one when I'm back home.

post-78562-0-53730300-1396648148_thumb.jpg

Oh, also worth mentioning is that I finally gave up on the AutoAqua Smart ATO. I just got really tired of the inconsistent behavior and the obnoxious beeping. After a ton of research I decided to go with the Tunze 3155. Really easy to install and super reliable so far. Two weeks in and not a single issue. I may use the Smart ATO on my biocube in place of my JBJ ATO or I may sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

Real nice setup, I was just in Aquamart today saw an empty one in person, would love to see yours sometime. (Also in Parker!).

Cheers

Munch

Thanks! That's crazy, I was just in Aquamart yesterday. Picked up a few SPS some softies and a giant 7" chalice (That I now have frags of from the rough transport home). I need to take some new pics now that I've added a few more corals to the tank.

any update with the HOB skimmer?

how does it look on the back of the tank.

we need an updated FTS!

Finally fired up the skimmer today. It's an AquaC Remora Pro-S Skimmer with Danner Supreme 5 Pump. This thing is gigantic. It's 22" long, 7.5" wide and 3.5" deep. It stands 8" higher than the back of the tank. That being said, the glossy black, squarish design actually makes it look at home. The Cadlights PLS 100 was a good skimmer for sure, but it looked like an industrial water treatment facility was bolted onto the tank. When I started it up, it was loud. Only had micro bubbles for about 40 minutes and it instantly started to produce foam. Looks like it is breaking in really, really quickly and it has gotten very quiet. So far I'm digging it.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like. You'll also see that I picked up some new corals. Photos don't do justice to the Chalice.

post-78562-0-04298300-1397417538_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-89376400-1397417538_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look to bad at all. Tanks looks awesome as well. I keep going back and forth between the fusion 30L and the sr-60. Time and money will make my decision for me.

• Like 1

Doesn't look to bad at all. Tanks looks awesome as well. I keep going back and forth between the fusion 30L and the sr-60. Time and money will make my decision for me.

Thanks for the compliment on the tank! Yeah, this skimmer doesn't look too bad. It's already doing a great job producing dark sludge just two days in. Wish I woulda gone with this skimmer from the beginning. At some point I'll build a false glossy black wall to go in front of the skimmer across the length of the tank about 8"-10" high. Good luck on whichever route you go. I really like the 30L. Might be a good replacement for my 29G Biocube :-)

Added some new corals and fish:

ORA Orchid Dottyback

Flame Angel

Bicolor Blenny

ORA Red Montipora Cap

Orange Montipora Digitata

Purple with Green Polyp Stylophora

0413141309.jpg

0413141313.jpg

0420141216b.jpg

woooh! this is mike from aqua mart! cant believe how sweet this thing looks! i absolutely love that little stylo, shoulda grabbed it before you showed up :P that chalice also looks incredible right there

• Like 1

Thanks Mike! Yeah, that stylo is pretty awesome. Can't wait till it really takes off. I really want a pink and purple stylo too. I really love that chalice. I even have a couple little frags from it doing well in the biocube. I'll definitely be back up for more!

• Like 1

I'll take ya up on that!! Let me know if ya get any of the following in and I'll be up: Pink or Purple Stylo, Orange Setosa, Purple Monti Cap.

BTW, here's a pic of the monti digitata next to the red monti cap (both are in new places)

0413141312a.jpg

• Like 1