Top Shelf Aquatics

gahumphrey's Innovative Marine SR-80 Shallow Reef

gahumphrey

we just got in two pieces of orangy red monti setosa today, ones about an inch across the other about two. havent figured out a price, but if you want i can hold one for you while we figure it out!

we just got in two pieces of orangy red monti setosa today, ones about an inch across the other about two. havent figured out a price, but if you want i can hold one for you while we figure it out!

Definitely, that would be awesome. How big are they?

ones about an inch across and the other is about two inches, not huge colonies but bigger than on a frag plug or somethin. theyre not even marked yet as i said so they wont be taken too fast

• Like 1

ones about an inch across and the other is about two inches, not huge colonies but bigger than on a frag plug or somethin. theyre not even marked yet as i said so they wont be taken too fast

I'll take the 2" one. I don't think I'll be able to make it up there until Wednesday.

FWIW, here are a couple prices for Setosa online.

UniqueCorals_setosa__zpsf58c17d5.png
Orange_Montipora_Setosa_-_Aqua_Addicts_z
  • 3 weeks later...
Marine Depot

Using a 7 gallon camping water container. It's in the third cabinet to the right in the stand. I saw a pretty cool 10G acrylic ATO reservoir on eBay that i'll probably order next month. It looks pretty bad ass and should be easier to bring water to it to fill it. Today I have to lug the container over to the laundry room every few days to fill.

Yeah, I hear you. I had all these corals in my Biocube and haven't seen growth anywhere near this. The frogspawn didn't grow at all for the past three months (after the acans fell on it and wiped half of it out). The Joker Frogspawn grew 2 new heads in the biocube over the 6 months I had it. That's more growth in three weeks in the new tank thank I had in three months in the old one.

Here's the FTS i promised

Hello,

I am currently working on an article that highlights amazing innovative marine nuvo aquariums. I love your tank and was wondering if we could use your tank and give you credit for all your hard work. If you could also please post a recent quality front facing picture of the entire tank with lights it would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know, thank you!

• Like 2
Legendary Corals

Hello,

I am currently working on an article that highlights amazing innovative marine nuvo aquariums. I love your tank and was wondering if we could use your tank and give you credit for all your hard work. If you could also please post a recent quality front facing picture of the entire tank with lights it would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know, thank you!

That sounds awesome!!!

Marine Depot

That sounds awesome!!!

Could you possibly post an updated picture of your tank so we can see the corals and the lights you have? Thank you very much !!

gahumphrey

Hello,

You sure can. Here's a panoramic picture I just took earlier today - unfortunately you can't see the lights on it. The corals are all closed up for the night so as soon as they open up tomorrow i'll post another picture with the lights.

gahumphreyNuvoSR-80May2014_zpsaa54cf72.j

found a fairly recent picture with the lights - i took this a couple weeks ago with the AquaC Remora Pro-S skimmer I got from marinedepot.com.

0413141300_zps28da700d.jpg

higher resolution pic of the panoramic shot

gahumphreyNuvoSR-80FTSMay2014_zpsf462a76

The lights are AI Vegas. Hoping to upgrade the lights soon to the Hydra 52 with the new kits

• Like 1
Breakthecycle2

I have an Elos system 120 that has the same dimensions but is about 3.5 inches higher. I also have Hydras with the AI mounting brackets. My question is, can you please tell me what you have your lights set at?

gahumphrey

It's my phone. I dropped it and so it really f's with the color and sharpness of photos. :-(

I have an Elos system 120 that has the same dimensions but is about 3.5 inches higher. I also have Hydras with the AI mounting brackets. My question is, can you please tell me what you have your lights set at?

perfect timing - I just posted this yesterday in the AI forum

I have two Vegas over a 80G Shallow (Nuvo SR-80). I use the AI Director to control them. I have replaced a couple of the stock pucks to give me some UV and Violet. Here's what I run them at (12" off water surface):

VegaramponNuvoSR-80_zpse94aa53e.png

Here's what I run my BioCube Vega at (6" off water surface)

VegaBioCube29Gramp_zps4895f749.png

Though the light in the BioCube looks brighter I have the intensities set higher on the SR-80 so you can see distance from water surface greatly affect diffraction and ultimately brightness. I have been inching the SR-80 Vega values up higher a bit each day. I originally had them way too high (60% on blues and 40% on white). That fried most my softies and my Euphyllia. The acans and SPS loved the extra light so it's a delicate balance.

• 5 weeks later...

Bye-bye biopellets.

Well I've finally given up on my biopellets. They have kept the water pristine but possibly too pristine. I really, really wanted to believe I could make things work with the bio pellets but all my corals with the exception of the duncan and a green frogspawn are going down hill.

My Birds Nests have been struggling with STN. My Lobophyllia is completely washed out. My Alien Eye Chalice has turned ugly dark green - no visible eyes. My purple sea whip will not extend it's polyps. My Acans are all shrinking and losing color. Nothing is experiencing any growth.

Only thing I can attribute it to is my biopellets. I've tried adjusting lights, adjusting feeding, just about everything I can think of. I doubled, then tripled my feeding. I increased my addatives (Zeovit Phol's Extra, Zeovit LPS Amino, Seachem part 1 and part 2, Seachem Reef Plus, Iodide, etc.

From weeks of research on every reef forum I can find, many people (not all) are experiencing the same issues with Bio Pellets.

Less than 48 hours after removing the pellets i'm starting to get some color back on my birds nest.

Stay tuned. Maybe I'll do some before and after shots...

I hope that works for you! Besides dont you have a skimmer running that you like now & also a media reactor with GFO or carbon in your system to keep water clean?

• Like 1

I hope that works for you! Besides dont you have a skimmer running that you like now & also a media reactor with GFO or carbon in your system to keep water clean?

I do have a skimmer that I finally like (except for it's noisy). I have a media reactor with BRS Rox in it and a bunch of Phos Ban. For the heck of it I also added some Seachem Stability so that I don't make things go too wild with pulling the BioPellets. It's probably in my head but I swear a couple of the corals are having a slight bit of color come back. Gonna do a 30% water change later today too so that I get more trace elements back in.

Update - 5 days after removing biopellets.

Polyp extension on SPS (Birdsnest and Stylos) most I've seen in months. Some STN areas of of the Birdsnest and STN areas of a Monti Digitata already showing small signs of recovery. My Joker Frogspawn is more full than it has been in months. The polyps on my Purple Sea Whip Gorgonian are all fully extended. First time since two days after I bought the thing three months ago.

Looks like pulling the pellets was the right call. Some updated pics... (sorry for the crappy camera)

0623141606_zps333b3bc3.jpg

0623141603b_zps4e239299.jpg

0623141604a_zpsfd6084fd.jpg

0623141600_zps33e852ea.jpg

0623141603_zps69e7b10f.jpg

Some new shots taken from a different but equally crappy camera...

You can really see the STN on the two diff birdsnests.

The Purple Sea Whip was the first to recover followed pretty quickly by the Goni. The Joker Frogspawn is really starting to perk up as well.

Photos-2245_zps99a78d1d.jpg

Photos-2251_zpsd201f511.jpgPhotos-2248_zps4922852e.jpg

Photos-2247_zpsf092ee75.jpg

Photos-2246_zps6c23d8cb.jpg

gahumphrey

Two updates:

1) With regard to the bio pellets - All corals now on the road to recovery. Even the Acans are starting to rebound. Seeing new growth for the first time in several months!!

2) Just installed my fourth skimmer. This time I believe we have a winner. I just installed the IM Ghost full size skimmer. Holy crap I'm in love. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on these and I have to say I was pretty hesitant based on the feedback about noise levels. I literally can't even hear this thing. Twice I've walked back over to the tank to see if it's running. It instantly started to produce foam. I'm keeping the cup pretty high to see how dry I can get the skim. The other thing is ZERO MICRO BUBBLES. I'm totally blown away. For the first time since I set up the tank I can hear a pin drop in my office. It's so quiet I can hear the MP10 on my BioCube switch modes.

Here's a picture I just snapped of my Joker Frogspawn. For the first time since February one of the heads is starting to split again!

20140702_172824_zpscegea19h.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Two updates:

1) With regard to the bio pellets - All corals now on the road to recovery. Even the Acans are starting to rebound. Seeing new growth for the first time in several months!!

2) Just installed my fourth skimmer. This time I believe we have a winner. I just installed the IM Ghost full size skimmer. Holy crap I'm in love. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on these and I have to say I was pretty hesitant based on the feedback about noise levels. I literally can't even hear this thing. Twice I've walked back over to the tank to see if it's running. It instantly started to produce foam. I'm keeping the cup pretty high to see how dry I can get the skim. The other thing is ZERO MICRO BUBBLES. I'm totally blown away. For the first time since I set up the tank I can hear a pin drop in my office. It's so quiet I can hear the MP10 on my BioCube switch modes.

Here's a picture I just snapped of my Joker Frogspawn. For the first time since February one of the heads is starting to split again!

20140702_172824_zpscegea19h.jpg

Thats awesome to hear, glad you finally have a winner & also that all your corals are coming back!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Great aquarium. Glad to see you having better luck with your SR80 than I am with mine.

Interesting to see the effects of biopellets. I'm wondering if the issue was the tack of skimming. I've heard (no experience) that you want a really good skimmer with biopellets.

Have you ever ran GFO? That was my plan or just a good carbon like you.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi best3175! so sorry for not responding sooner!! I don't know how I totally missed your message.

I had been running a skimmer along with the biopellets. I couldn't find a good skimmer until the ghost came out. I started out with a Cadlights PLS 100 that I modified. That didn't work out so I went through two Cadlights PLS-50s, one after the other. Build quality was not great on them. Then I tried an AquaRemoraC ProS. That worked well but sounded like a 777 Jet Engine all day every day in my office. I'm on my second Ghost but I tried your impeller fix and - presto magico - it's working great. Super silent!!

Most everything is now stable in the tank. All corals are slowly recovering. The SPS are doing best of all. The Acans are taking forever to recover but every day there's a bit more flesh on all heads.

I'm now running GFO in an IM Mini-Max Full Size reactor. I also have two Mini-Max Desktop media reactors running BRS Rox carbon in both.

Will post some updated photos in a few.

Hey everyone, it's been a couple months since I've done an update. Honestly, I've been pretty embarrassed and disappointed in the the condition of the tank. Just about every coral had considerable shrinkage to the point where I thought I was going to totally loose a bunch of them.

Fast forward a couple months and things are starting to look a lot better.

All SPS have at least doubled in size with the exception of the stylophora which are typically slow growers anyhow (as I understand it).

The Monti Caps and the Seriatopora in particular are doing awesome.

All Euphyllia are doing really well and growing quite a bit.

The Symphyllia that was severely bleached has fully recovered and is a really beautiful piece.

Duncans seem to be sprouting a new head once a week.

Zoas are finally growing new heads too. They took the biggest beating - most polyps dissolved to nothing.

The Acans are also really slowly recovering. Fortunately there's new flesh every day and I've stopped losing heads.

The Mushrooms are doing great too. I had 11 on one rock. Only three survived and they were the size of a pea. Now the three that were left are around 1" in diameter and getting bigger every day.

All in all I feel things are finally going in the right direction. I'll give the tank one more month and then i'm going to start adding new corals to it again. Some more Monti, some Acros and of course more Acans!

Here are some updated pics...

0904141253a_zps7ljlrjac.jpg0904141253_zpskhg7pu0k.jpg0904141252c_zps6hm7n5ci.jpg

0904141252a_zps1i9xgdp6.jpg0904141251c_zpshujugwpj.jpg0904141251_zpsx7tqjhuc.jpg0904141250d_zps7c9un826.jpg0904141250a_zpsujqf5iud.jpg0904141250_zps55gs6imu.jpg

Oh, and here's a FTS.

0904141611_zpsiyzyw26g.jpg

• Like 2
Thanks drfu! Great to hear from you!!

Ya sorry for not being around as much, been keeping tabs on your tank though. Started up my third tank, another IM, this time a Micro 30 that i got a great deal on.

Check it out if you like:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/349993-dr-fus-innovative-marine-micro-30-build-questions/?p=4805475

Keep up the great work on yours, pics look awesome!

• Like 1