Cultivated Reef

7.2 gallon Coldwater Nano. Full of Bay Pipefish now!

AquaticEngineer

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

IMO you should cut a view hole on the one side of stand, this way you could view from a few sides instead if just one. Looking good by the way

Yes,

It would be nice to have viewing panels on the side, however I feel that this would not be possible as cutting into the board will cause integrity on the design of the stand.

This could cause instability of weight etc.

• Like 1

IMO you should cut a view hole on the one side of stand, this way you could view from a few sides instead if just one. Looking good by the way

I agree. Awesome looking build so far! Looking foward to it wet!!

If he cut a medium size circle, centered up on the side wall, I think he would be fine. But I could be wrong. Just an idea. Op has this build pretty well thought out, just trying to give ideas, tank and stand both turned out awesome.

Following along.

AquaticEngineer

I'm no engineer, but would the weight of the tank and water make your cabinet top-heavy, make it easy to tip over? Would the weight of the chiller provide counter balance?

Looks good, BTW!

Thanks :) I am 100% going to use wall anchors. Its in a corner so it will need anchors at the top on both edges.

The Ikea stands are only stable and rigid when they have the linear panels intact. Once I cut into the top one to recess the light I could see the interior cardboard honeycomb. Its a cool idea but the stand just couldnt take it I think. In the future I will be looking out for the ikea 1x3 cubes for this reason so I could place a tank on the top and view it from all sides.

I just scored the 1x5 for next to nothing, and I have a horrible problem with over modifying things sometimes, lol. So I think this is as far as I'm willing to de-construct this stand :D

Yes,

It would be nice to have viewing panels on the side, however I feel that this would not be possible as cutting into the board will cause integrity on the design of the stand.

This could cause instability of weight etc.

Yup :D

Stu,

We are waiting for an update: Inquiry minds at work... :)

Update is........I gotta go get bulkheads :( Remember when I told you I had the 1/2" ones I needed? Well they were 3/4" bulkheads, :'( So once I have those I can get cooking today. Heading out right now for them. Update in a couple hours :)
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Thanks :) I am 100% going to use wall anchors. Its in a corner so it will need anchors at the top on both edges.

The Ikea stands are only stable and rigid when they have the linear panels intact. Once I cut into the top one to recess the light I could see the interior cardboard honeycomb. Its a cool idea but the stand just couldnt take it I think. In the future I will be looking out for the ikea 1x3 cubes for this reason so I could place a tank on the top and view it from all sides.

I just scored the 1x5 for next to nothing, and I have a horrible problem with over modifying things sometimes, lol. So I think this is as far as I'm willing to de-construct this stand :D

Yup :D

Update is........I gotta go get bulkheads :( Remember when I told you I had the 1/2" ones I needed? Well they were 3/4" bulkheads, :'( So once I have those I can get cooking today. Heading out right now for them. Update in a couple hours :)

Stu,

I knew I should have sent you the damn bulkheads! Darn! HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM! or is it, "Oregon we have a Problem? LOL

• Like 1
AquaticEngineer

Stu,

I knew I should have sent you the damn bulkheads! Darn! HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM! or is it, "Oregon we have a Problem? LOL

Its no worries Mike :) Gave me a reason to go visit some LFS's I haven't been to in a while.

Its all up and running now 8)

coldwaternanomicroreefs_zpsa2013e18.jpg

coldwatermicroreefsfts_zps026e9087.jpg

• Like 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

A little late night coldwater eye candy ;)

temporary_zps254c694f.jpg

946963_660033027381527_859858541_n.jpg

1515039_660032990714864_1227165328_n.jpg

Now, this is what I was waiting for give it time and the colors will start to pop out!

• Like 1
AquaticEngineer

Wow, looks great!

Is that a Scorp?

Yup :) Its a Californian Rainbow Scorpiofish (Scorpaenodes xyris) maxes out under 6" as a full sized adult.

• 4 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

My oldest son showing off "HIS" fish tank to one of his friends today.

"Thats a fringehead, and thats a bat star, and thats a shrimp, and thats a pokey urchin" :lol:

SawyerShowingoffhisfish_zpsb7db958f.jpg

• Like 2
AquaticEngineer

Kicking ass!

I just took it skimmerless because the Temperate MicroBacter and BioFuel from Brightwell Aquatics is working amazingly!

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Kicking ass!

I just took it skimmerless because the Temperate MicroBacter and BioFuel from Brightwell Aquatics is working amazingly!

I am glad it is working great! As two of these will be raffled off on March 24th my birthday for two lucky Nano-Reef members! Yeah, bio skimmers in a cold water aquarium are not my idea of best performance becasue of the phytoplankton.

I believe it's better served in SPS aquariums where water column needs to be prestine.

Are you feeding phytoplankton daily ?

Nope! I use to in my 6.2 and they wrere growing like weeds! In this 2 gallon system I just feed them pellets once every 6 days....

• Like 1

Nope! I use to in my 6.2 and they wrere growing like weeds! In this 2 gallon system I just feed them pellets once every 6 days....

Okay, just asking because I was feeding Phyto 3-4 times a week to keep the filter feeders happy and I ended up with a nori farm :D

I saw a bottle in the back with a green substance in it, looked like phyto, thought I would ask.

I am feeding 1 drop a week now, water changes = 80% weekly :)

Put some GFO in again to try and get rid of this algae, it's no longer growing and the snails are working on it (slowly). Otherwise things are smooth running.

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I don't place any phyto in my 2 gallon which is the same as yours and I have no algae nuisance at all! :) But my critters are not growing. I use to but Kent Marine's Starter Kit and that stuff was great.

I have some left over B-onic I think I will that and report back.