Coral Vue Hydros

Podpimp's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

PODPIMP

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hey Rich,

what are you running Nitrates at these days?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been crazy busy at work. Nitrates are about 15-20ppm. I started growing cheato in my rock rubble section of the sump. Im ok with the current nitrate level, I just don't want it spiking to 50ppm again if my skimmer malfunctions or something.

I had to clip a few things to stop warfare between corals. I need to sell a few things off when I get time. Here's a shot from tonight. The tank is growing like a weed again.

https://flic.kr/p/qiYssP'>15955958155_de2af1c57f_h.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qiYssP'>IMG_2369 by https://www.flickr.com/people/110930925@N05/'>rich.colombo, on Flickr

Excellent, thanks for the response. I'm struggling with 15 to 20 nitrates myself, at least that's the red I think it is on Salifert. The red does not match the red on the sheet so it makes it rather hard to read. I'm recovering from a pretty big Phosphate and KH spike which either happened at the same time or near the same time. The only way I could get color back was putting a GFO reactor online to get Phosphate down to near undetectable (Salifert again).

Based on your tank it doesn't look like Nitrates will hold me back much, but I'd rather they be down around 5. :) My skimmer only fits in my center sump section so I don't have any dedicated space for a fuge.

You tank looks terrific, as usual!

Excellent, thanks for the response. I'm struggling with 15 to 20 nitrates myself, at least that's the red I think it is on Salifert. The red does not match the red on the sheet so it makes it rather hard to read. I'm recovering from a pretty big Phosphate and KH spike which either happened at the same time or near the same time. The only way I could get color back was putting a GFO reactor online to get Phosphate down to near undetectable (Salifert again).

Based on your tank it doesn't look like Nitrates will hold me back much, but I'd rather they be down around 5. :) My skimmer only fits in my center sump section so I don't have any dedicated space for a fuge.

You tank looks terrific, as usual!

I actually started running a small amount of rowaphos again. After my skimmer pump broke, my tank was unskimmed for a week. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but with my bioload it was able to drive my nitrates to 50ppm and po4 was over .1

I saw a reduction in growth and some overly brown fuzzy polyps. I have since brought levels down but i prefer my nitrates around 15ppm, as long as po4 is low. My po4 is currently .03 on the hanna low range photometer. So 15 nitrates and .03 phosphate is my favorite :)

Thanks for the compliment.

• 4 months later...

He updates his RC thread on a regular basis. For shame Rich!

It's probably one of the most stunning tanks on RC, simply outstanding.

Do'h. Ok thanks man. I'll head over and have a look.

Any updates on this beast? :)

+1

Do'h. Ok thanks man. I'll head over and have a look.

Sorry that I haven't been keeping up on this forum. A lot has changed with this tank over the last several months. Too much of a good thing actually set me back, but I learned another lesson. Fast SPS growth lead to shading, stinging, and reduced flow greatly. As a result I lost a couple of pieces, and had to remove corals to allow for more growth + flow.

The tank is setback from the pace it was on, but I think this will help future growth. I'm sure that several months from now I'll be removing even more of my less favorite SPS to allow for more growth. The tank is only so big lol :)

Blah blah blah here's the pics :)

I'll take an updated FTS tonight.

17048153817_b96b6fa254_b.jpgIMG_2531 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

17253778212_815b71a5dd_b.jpgIMG_2530 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

17048121527_667ae6c884_b.jpgIMG_2529 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

17067774898_1e02647381_b.jpgIMG_2536 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

16633074334_efb9213840_b.jpgIMG_2534 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

17048117697_fa2a5af061_b.jpgIMG_2535 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

16967276916_a84a723160_b.jpgDSC_0033 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

16785846417_4d660c11eb_b.jpgDSC_0029 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

• 6 months later...

I lost a bunch of stuff over the summer due to a busy work schedule, and poor maintenance. My alk reach 14 dkh at one point!!!!! I was able to frag and save a bunch of pieces. The tank looks different now, but still growing and doing very well again. I also changed lighting to a 10 bulb powermodule for better coverage than the single halide. Here is the tank today.

22550061476_b2835ba77a_b.jpgDSC_0014 by rich colombo, on Flickr

22460108482_944ff8997e_b.jpgDSC_0060 by rich colombo, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

Archived