Coral Vue Hydros

Podpimp's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

PODPIMP

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful, why do you use special blend? I used that stuff to cycle my tank

In the past I used this to fight cyano outbreaks and it worked very well. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to see effects though. With my bioload of 19 fish, I need all the help I can to keep the tank clean for my SPS to thrive. The stinky bacteria in that bottle is quite effective are lowering your level of organics. I will probably continue to dose the maintenance level of this bacteria long term.

Good to know, I remember when I was using it my fiance was sleeping and the stink traveled up stairs and she woke up yelling at me how come I didn't open the window after farting lmao I told her it was the tank and she still didn't believe me hahah

Good to know, I remember when I was using it my fiance was sleeping and the stink traveled up stairs and she woke up yelling at me how come I didn't open the window after farting lmao I told her it was the tank and she still didn't believe me hahah

That supplement is the reason why my fishtanks were banished from the living room into a spare bedroom :) WellÂ…Â…that, and my skimmer cup cleanings ;) The wife only seemed to remember the stench instead of all the nice fish and coral.

Sweet build. Loving the whole set up, the stand turned out amazing, I like the lil drawer on the bottom. Elec cabinet blends in nicely. If I may ask how did you get that tank through the door?

Thanks bud. It's easier in larger tanks. In my nano tank I had a hard time keeping deep colors. I didn't have the aggressive filtration that I have in this larger tank, so I wasn't able to feed more. In retrospect, I wish I added more fish and tried it out though.

I'm just having trouble keeping all the subtle things stable. I always thought that my 65G was over filtered, but i just think the bioload wasn't heavy enough. I'm trying to learn through all these big inspirational tanks, but its getting demoralizing.

Sweet build. Loving the whole set up, the stand turned out amazing, I like the lil drawer on the bottom. Elec cabinet blends in nicely. If I may ask how did you get that tank through the door?

Thanks very much! :) I still haven't decided on hardware. I need a pull for the drawer and cabinet handles. I am the most indecisive with the simplest of things :) The tank is 32"x32"x26". I turned it on the side and carried inside a standard 29" door frame. This is also the reason why the stand is actually 2 pieces. The drawer section detaches so I can clear the doorframe but have a high enough stand for a display. The standard 93 cube stand were 26" high which I find to be ridiculously low. That fueled my custom build idea :)

I'm just having trouble keeping all the subtle things stable. I always thought that my 65G was over filtered, but i just think the bioload wasn't heavy enough. I'm trying to learn through all these big inspirational tanks, but its getting demoralizing.

There is a balance to these things. Depending on the light intensity and a stable nutrient level, you can adjust your colors. When my fever breaks I'll take a look at your thread and give some suggestions. I'm feeling a little delirious right now :) Thank God for spell check!

There is a balance to these things. Depending on the light intensity and a stable nutrient level, you can adjust your colors. When my fever breaks I'll take a look at your thread and give some suggestions. I'm feeling a little delirious right now :) Thank God for spell check!

that would be amazing sir. you are a saint.

don't worry about spelling itz juzt dah intraweb :P

I never used it long term before, only for a couple months, but quite a few great tanks did use this regularly. JBNY's old 180 and pecan2phats 120 are some local examples. This is a bacteria different than Tim's or other nitryifing bacterias. This is a powerful waste degrader. I don't know if this bacteria actually populates your tank or not. Dosing instructions are indicative of some type of population since you eventually reduce to a lower maintenance dose. This stuff is more along the lines of waste water bacterial treatments :)

BTW I followed the directions on the box of Special Blend.

I never tried Tim's because a couple trusted local sources told me they saw no difference in their established SPS systems. I do use prodibio bio digest bacteria, and I find that this bacteria increases my SPS polyp extension. I don't mean brown shaggy polyps like that plana that you quoted (I haven't had that piece very long). I'm referring to light colored polyps with a fuzzy, clean, airy look….. if that makes sense. IME this is when my SPS are most healthy.

I did try mb7 in my old tank and I didn't see a difference. I believe that is an enzyme rather than a live bacteria? I would chose prodibo biodigest over this product for sure:)

Kat, I forgot to tell you that the Wild Orchid name is taken for an SPS coral :( I was originally thinking "blue flame" but jason fox gave that name to an acro already.

And you use it regularly? Would you mind elaborating? Also, did you try other bacteria in a bottle like Dr Tims, or microbacter etc?

Kat, it smells like a sewage plant, and I was not able to stop the smell even after putting it in two plastic baggies. Ended up pouring it down the drain to avoid being banished from the house. It's special allright. :)

I'm all for trying new additives but since my tank is in the main living room/family room/dining room area of my apartment, having it smell more than it does whenever I open the fish fridge is likely going to get me and my critters tossed out into the cold. Maybe I should write a blog article about the sights and smells in a reef keepers life....

How are things doing in the tank?

So far everything is going extremely well. Most of the SPS are colored up well, growth is fast, and nuisance algae is minimal.

I have been feeding too much lately to be sure that new fish settle into the tank well. As a result my nitrate reading are higher than I would like. Probably around 15ppm I would say. I would rather be around 5ppm and not more than 10ppm. I did a water change to lower no3 levels. Po4 has been between .01-.03 on a hanna low range po4 meter.

Salifert Testkit

My latest fish addition. This fish is amazing! Super Male Lineatus Wrasse
  • 1 month later...

I was messing around with my old Nikon d40 yesterday. I have a little trouble getting the proper white balance with this camera. These pics came out a little overly blue. The tank has ben doing extremely well. Growth is fast, color keeps improving. This tank seem to be incredibly mature for a 5 month old reef. Must be the bottled bacteria :)

https://flic.kr/p/mtrN5r'>13437713553_0ea70795a1_b.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/mtsWw4'>13437937063_d9c6498b72_b.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/mr7PD9'>13411378694_dc656c0909_b.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/mg3ZKP'>13297467313_a08a9f9762_b.jpg

Colours look amazing and love that wrasse. Was a beautiful Mystery Wrasse at the LFS today, but don't want to risk it with an open top.

Colours look amazing and love that wrasse. Was a beautiful Mystery Wrasse at the LFS today, but don't want to risk it with an open top.

Thanks. Definitely need to make a top with wrasses.

wow pod this is amazing! what "bottled bacteria" are you using? i've been thinking of dosing some.

Using Microbe lift special blend and microbe lift nite-out II. Rog I definitely wouldn't recommend the special bend for you because it will clean up your tank even more. I have 20 fish and feed a ton sso my tank actually benefits from it. I do think the nite out II would be beneficial to your system though.

Looking good man!

Archived