Top Shelf Aquatics

Fry and Leela's Adventures - Moving tanks.

FishFrog

@#$^%! I can see huge amphipods eating our favia! It was looking a bit crap and we weren't sure why, but now I can see them eating it as I type this. Dipping the frag won't help as they are everywhere. I know some wrasses will eat them but I'm not adding one as our tank is too small. Will a YCG go after them by any chance?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@#$^%! I can see huge amphipods eating our favia! It was looking a bit crap and we weren't sure why, but now I can see them eating it as I type this. Dipping the frag won't help as they are everywhere. I know some wrasses will eat them but I'm not adding one as our tank is too small. Will a YCG go after them by any chance?

First the zoa pox and now this! You are not having good luck right now. I don't know the answer but I'm curious as well. I always thought pods were a good thing to have, but then I did a search and found this. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/299455-amphipods-eat-my-coralsphotos/ Seems you're not the only one. I hope someone more knowledgable pipes up soon!

First the zoa pox and now this! You are not having good luck right now. I don't know the answer but I'm curious as well. I always thought pods were a good thing to have, but then I did a search and found this. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/299455-amphipods-eat-my-coralsphotos/ Seems you're not the only one. I hope someone more knowledgable pipes up soon!

Yes its really lame :( I read that thread too and I really don't know what to think. No other corals seem to be bothered, so maybe it is just because the favia isn't doing well in the first place?

We lost all the zoa's in the end. It turned out that all of the zoa's our coral seller had imported were affected. He did give us a full refund though, so we were able to pick up some other frags. I'm trying to glue them now and will add pictures soon!

Yay for pictures! I hope the favia turns around soon and the creepy crawlies leave it alone!

Thanks! I'll take some tomorrow :)

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, let it be known that I am an utter failure at glueing frags.

Second, I used my smartphone, a blanket and a filter to take these pictures, to try and capture what the colours look like in real life.

Its not great but you get the idea. We have recently started adding some Reef Pearls and the sun coral has responded really well.

Also added a cleaner shrimp, who is an absolute delight.

We are still working on getting our Mg higher - but it is slow going. Raised our SG a bit, that seemed to help.

~ Hester

14954245851_7eaaf9aca4_o.jpgorange fungia

14954249651_ee94570c2d_o.jpgblastos

14957014102_397b3f9020_o.jpgyuma

14954322251_a6a53213bd_o.jpgCould not for the life of me capture the colours right. It is really pink with a green rim around the polyps. Hope it keeps those colours.

14770823330_68dd0ce13a_o.jpgFTS

14770910358_c47775b956_o.jpgHitchhiker shroom

14957523665_4617e23e77_o.jpgshroom rock

14957195162_e4e38d2fea_o.jpgmicromussa

14770881290_de09422557_o.jpgsun coral

The two red hermits mysteriously died at the same time. :(

The two blues, the porcelain crab and the cleaner are fine.

Seems strange that they would die so close together, we didn't even find any bodies so I think they were eaten by the others.

Shame.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

So we are still enjoying watching our clowns muck about in the Duncans a lot. The behaviour is really great to see :)

Our water parameters are all back where they should be as well, so that is good.

Speaking of hosting, Robbert found this on the internet:

15262364291_8da72c748e_b.jpg

The only thing that is a little worrying is our green mushrooms. Ever since we added the red mushrooms, the greens have begun to shrivel. At this point they look bleached and tiny. First I though it must be the water, but since that is normal I don't know. I tried to find out if red shrooms give off chemicals but I couldn't find much. Really don't know what to do at this point, short of tearing them off the rock...

Hi everyone,

So we are still enjoying watching our clowns muck about in the Duncans a lot. The behaviour is really great to see :)

Our water parameters are all back where they should be as well, so that is good.

Speaking of hosting, Robbert found this on the internet:

15262364291_8da72c748e_b.jpg

The only thing that is a little worrying is our green mushrooms. Ever since we added the red mushrooms, the greens have begun to shrivel. At this point they look bleached and tiny. First I though it must be the water, but since that is normal I don't know. I tried to find out if red shrooms give off chemicals but I couldn't find much. Really don't know what to do at this point, short of tearing them off the rock...

Awesome pic.....

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we suck at keeping shrimp reef safe. I think the cleaner just ate all four hermits since it was added.

First thought they might have killed each other until I just spotted him munching on Sjaak, the last of the pack.

Makes me sad because two of the hermits were in there for almost a year :(

Sorry to hear about the struggles. Minor setbacks, dont worry about it. Do you think you can do without the shrimp?

Yeah it sucked. I think we can, although we did really enjoy him and don't really know why he would go for the hermits. There is plenty of food in the tank, especially with feeding the sun coral etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh God. I bought a huge aquarium 2nd hand. It was cheap and looks good, with a stand. Now I have a 34G standing in my living room. What have I done

Awesome corals you have here! :) love your tank. :)

Thank you, that is really nice to hear :happy:

My boyfriend and I have decided to break up, which really sucks. I have moved out and wanted to take the tank with me, the other option was to sell everything.

Then it seemed like a good idea to get a bigger tank. I went online and being stupid bought something very quickly. So now I have a 34g instead of a 10g in my mother's living room. It looks enormous.

I'm just really scared I won't be able to manage. He did all the technical stuff and I just took care of the animals and we did water changes together. :(

Its a Sera Biotop 130l (34g) which is basically the big brother of the other tank, with a big ass skimmer, a stand and two pumps with an unused Koralia controller/wave maker. The previous owner also added blue leds to the hood, so its PC lighting like the last tank plus some blue leds. I have no idea about how strong they are.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Don't know how I'm going to get 34 gallons of water in there using just my bicycle. Also, I suppose I should get new sand? And more rock. We now have about 17 pounds. I think it is best to get cured and dry sand, so there is no new cycle. Then I'll somehow get the water here, add a grate, some new dry rock, sand, and water. Then some water from the old tank and then the LR and last the coral and fish??

I see a lot of biking with jerrycans in my future. Oh God have mercy.

I'm so sorry to hear your news, but you are going to be just fine with the tank. Just come here with your technical questions, there's lots of helpful and supportive folks. You already know how to take care of the animals... Your tank looks great. You're on your own with the jerrycans on the bicycle though ;)

Good luck with the move. I would get new sand and more dry rock. If you move your existing rock over quickly before any die off can happen you shouldn't get any cycle and you will keep your bio filter. Keep us posted!

I'm so sorry to hear your news, but you are going to be just fine with the tank. Just come here with your technical questions, there's lots of helpful and supportive folks. You already know how to take care of the animals... Your tank looks great. You're on your own with the jerrycans on the bicycle though ;) Good luck with the move. I would get new sand and more dry rock. If you move your existing rock over quickly before any die off can happen you shouldn't get any cycle and you will keep your bio filter. Keep us posted!

Thank you so much, I hope you are right. But everyone has always been very helpful so I guess it will be okay.

It is hard atm but I need to look forward, so I suppose setting the tank up will help keep me busy.

I've seen some RO/DI systems on the Dutch Craigslist, for about €20 so that isn't too much. Maybe I will get one because I can really only take so much water on my bike.

I'll buy some buckets so I can take the LR out of the tank and immediately into a bucket of water. Only two rocks have coral attached that I can't remove. The duncans and hammer can be glued back on later. Will there be die-off if the temperature in the buckets drops a bit?

Life is easier with a car.

Archived