Coral Vue Hydros

Fry and Leela's Adventures - Moving tanks.

FishFrog

I wouldn't get bent out of shape with the perc/true perc thing. The fish are so similar that they can't even tell each other apart. From what I've read the eyes are the only way to really tell which is which. Coloration is just too varied, and the dorsal fins can be different or the same between the two.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't get bent out of shape with the perc/true perc thing. The fish are so similar that they can't even tell each other apart. From what I've read the eyes are the only way to really tell which is which. Coloration is just too varied, and the dorsal fins can be different or the same between the two.

Funny thing happened in the LFS. In Dutch when you say that an animal is false (vals) means that it is a vicious or a mean animal. For instance, this dog is false means it'll probably bite you hand when you try and pet it. So in the store, when I was acting all smart and knowledgeable, I asked the salesman: "are these false?", meaning are they false percs or true occ's? He gave me a very strange look and responded: "no they don't really bite..." :P

After some extra explanation he knew what I was talking about, but it was very funny at the moment. They don't really call them clownfishes or perc/occ's here, but simply anemomefish. But we're not to worried about the true/false thing either.

~Robbert

Funny thing happened in the LFS. In Dutch when you say that an animal is false (vals) means that it is a vicious or a mean animal. For instance, this dog is false means it'll probably bite you hand when you try and pet it. So in the store, when I was acting all smart and knowledgeable, I asked the salesman: "are these false?", meaning are they false percs or true occ's? He gave me a very strange look and responded: "no they don't really bite..." :P

After some extra explanation he knew what I was talking about, but it was very funny at the moment. They don't really call them clownfishes or perc/occ's here, but simply anemomefish. But we're not to worried about the true/false thing either.

~Robbert

Ha that's pretty funny. I'll have to run that by some of my Dutch friends I have online, tell them I have a "false" fish. :happy: It would be nice if they were referred to as anemonefish in all stores, that's what they are after all.

So we are thinking about trying out some easy coral in the near future. As of yet our lights aren't great, looking into getting some leds. Wondering whether it would be possible to try out some mushrooms, from what I have read I gathered that they don't need too much light. Must. Force. Self. To. Not. Surf. Obsessively. For. Coral. Info!

~ Hester

Hester, look into Ocean Revive.

http://www.oceanrevivellc.com/goods.php?id=18 these are great. I ordered them before christmas, got them on the 31st of December.

Send them an email and tell em Dennis Buizert send you there. The lights are amazing. Love the way they work. In my thread there are picture of them of me unboxing them.

Thanks for the tip Dennis! We are a bit stuck with the lid/hood of the cube. Will have to look into things a bit further.

How is your setup coming along?

Doei!

~ Hester

Edit: I just checked your thread, looks good! We're following now, thought I'd already clicked on that before..

Thanks for the tip Dennis! We are a bit stuck with the lid/hood of the cube. Will have to look into things a bit further.

How is your setup coming along?

Doei!

~ Hester

Edit: I just checked your thread, looks good! We're following now, thought I'd already clicked on that before..

Oh forgot. You can always try and remove the lid.

My build is getting slowly together. I need to get some money so I can purchase all the items I have planned out. And then start it end of this month hopefully. I dont have to buy any corals since my friend sells corals to Blijdorp and Sea Life Scheveningen so has he some for me.

So its perfect you guys are a bit ahead of me! That way I can get a great feel for the things to come :-)

Wow that sounds great! Corals can be super expensive I guess. We managed to pick up some for super cheap yesterday though, will post pics later.

Oh forgot. You can always try and remove the lid.

My build is getting slowly together. I need to get some money so I can purchase all the items I have planned out. And then start it end of this month hopefully. I dont have to buy any corals since my friend sells corals to Blijdorp and Sea Life Scheveningen so has he some for me.

So its perfect you guys are a bit ahead of me! That way I can get a great feel for the things to come :-)

Woke up to the kids misbehaving this morning. The smallest hermit just switched shells and now keeps falling on his back, the shell he picked is a bit big for him. The bigger clown keeps letting herself be sucked against the exit pump bit, just sticking to the wall. I freaked out but from what I can find online it could just be shenanigans...she looks fine otherwhise. *sigh*

~ Hester

Wow that sounds great! Corals can be super expensive I guess. We managed to pick up some for super cheap yesterday though, will post pics later.

Woke up to the kids misbehaving this morning. The smallest hermit just switched shells and now keeps falling on his back, the shell he picked is a bit big for him. The bigger clown keeps letting herself be sucked against the exit pump bit, just sticking to the wall. I freaked out but from what I can find online it could just be shenanigans...she looks fine otherwhise. *sigh*

~ Hester

To make matters worse, one of the snails has decided to go and sit right on top of one of the new corals, probably crushing it. I can't get it off, he is sticking to the rock around him too much :angry:

Here are some pictures of our new corals! We got them super cheap, or at least we think we do :'-).

The toadstool and 'hitchhiker' polyp:

post-82054-0-75954300-1389362794_thumb.jpg

Close up:

post-82054-0-05651600-1389362796_thumb.jpg

The front:

post-82054-0-38553200-1389363277_thumb.jpg

The mushroom:

post-82054-0-82130200-1389362796_thumb.jpg

A rock of shrooms was 45-55 euro / 61-74 dollar (with like 6 or 7 of them together), this one was lying by itself in the hermit tank at the LFS. He sold it to us for 5 euro's / 6,75 dollar. The big toadstools were 45-55 euro's, this small one, which has a funny shape, was only 15 euro's. And with a free polyp on it too!

All in all, we were pretty happy to get these two, euh three, corals for 20 euro's / 27 dollar. They seem to be enjoying their tank.

We used a lot of putty to get the rock secure, isn't a pretty sight at the moment, but in a few weeks it will blend in when algea and dirt gets stuck to it. All the other putty we use to secure the rocks looks exactly like the rock themselves.

~Robbert

I made some pictures too, the clowns kept photobombing me though, they really love the camera!

We had a lot of trouble getting the toadstool with its bit of rock to stick. After becoming incredibly frustrated and smeared in putty and super glue, which was also somehow all over the glass, I just took a big chunk and stuck it to the damn rock. It looks terrible, so I'm hoping something will grow all over it very soon.

~ Hester

post-82054-0-95671300-1389363829_thumb.jpg

post-82054-0-02807300-1389363832_thumb.jpg

post-82054-0-89008000-1389363833_thumb.jpg

The mushroom already looks a lot bigger. Could it have grown so fast in only two or three day? Or is it just stretching or something like that?

~Robbert

The mushroom already looks a lot bigger. Could it have grown so fast in only two or three day? Or is it just stretching or something like that? ~Robbert

In my experience once they "relax" and are comfortable with their surroundings they'll stretch out to their full size. I have a yuma that I kept an eye on at a store for a couple weeks and it was always about the size of a nickel. I finally bought it and after a month or two in my tank it at least tripled in size and has remained that way since. I've had it almost a year now.

It also stretches out more in lower light and tends to shrivel up if it gets too much light.

In my experience once they "relax" and are comfortable with their surroundings they'll stretch out to their full size. I have a yuma that I kept an eye on at a store for a couple weeks and it was always about the size of a nickel. I finally bought it and after a month or two in my tank it at least tripled in size and has remained that way since. I've had it almost a year now.

It also stretches out more in lower light and tends to shrivel up if it gets too much light.

Thanks! I hope it likes where it is now, was a bit of a b#tch trying to get it to attach somewhere.

After a lot of civilised discussion (read: intense combat), we have decided on names for the fish. We were considering famous pirates, scientists, radical feminists etc. but have now chosen: Leela and Fry. Leela because she is badass and obviously stronger than Fry. And Fry because he is ginger. Robbert wants to rename the hermits Pinky and the Brain. I'm not so sure, have become attached to Sjaakie and Henk.

Our lives are exciting.

~ Hester

Facepalm.

My two are named Missy B. (female triple misbar, missing bars, Missy B ) and Don Quixote (male Picasso, named for Picasso's painting).

Facepalm.

My two are named Missy B. (female triple misbar, missing bars, Missy B ) and Don Quixote (male Picasso, named for Picasso's painting).

Hahaha good one!

I'm sure there will be many facepalms to come in the future...

Mushroom seemed to enjoy a little bit of frozen shrimp. He curled up immediately and a sort of mouth-thingy appeared in the middle to 'eat' it all up. Do they need to be fed on a regular basis or just when we feel like it?

~Robbert

They don't "need" to be fed, a lot of the time they won't take food. At least mine don't. I've seen only one of my shrooms eat and only once.

They don't "need" to be fed, a lot of the time they won't take food. At least mine don't. I've seen only one of my shrooms eat and only once.

Okay thanks. I guess it was hungry... :P

Henkie checking out some real estate. With the market in this condition, he doesn't want to make any rash decisions ;-).

post-82054-0-87955100-1389860523_thumb.jpg

~Robbert

Archived