Cultivated Reef

28g Nanocube, Kessil/T5 Supplement . October FTS 2016 update p#9

reefernanoman

reefernanoman

Thanks for the info. I have found a new AI prime with clip on stans for around 205-210 price range

Not bad. Just remember that the prime is supposed to be limited to a 12x12x12 surface area to grow softies and stuff like that. I have seen it in pictures on top of fusion 40G (which has bigger dimensions than that) and it lit up the tank completely, but outside the 12x12x12 area, corals might grow slow or not at all (I'm assuming).
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I'm not looking to get high maintenance corals and in the beginning i will probably just stick with the basic lights. I don't have a job and don't have a lot of money to spend so I'm trying to find the most bang for my buck and later as I get into the hobby more i will probably upgrade the lights and the filtration more.

reefernanoman

well I'm not looking to get high maintenance corals and in the beginning i will probably just stick with the basic lights. I don't have a job and don't have a lot of money to spend so I'm trying to find the most bang for my buck and later as I get into the hobby more i will probably upgrade the lights and the filtration more.

I think the PRIME would be perfect then. You could always get a fusion 10G for $99 too and that with a PRIME would be a better match. Good luck with your decision.

• 3 weeks later...

September update 09/15/15. I decided to mess with more of my DLSR settings since I noticed that my pictures were missing color. I think that I did a great job short of getting a better lens. I still need a macro lens, since the corals that are in the far center towards the false wall are impossible to get a good picture of my my current 55mm lens:

Bird of Pardise. I love this frag:

IMG_3146.jpg

Much better picture of my new Idaho grape with blue polyps already showing growth:

IMG_3147.jpg

Punk rocker zoas doing great. Also purple rim green monti with blue polyps on the lower center of the picture is coloring up really nice(it had a white bleached spot on it when I picked it up, which is now gone).

IMG_3150.jpg

Mushroom with blue polyps:

IMG_3148.jpg

M. palawanensis. beautiful frag with blue polyps:

IMG_3145.jpg

Cryptonite candy canes:

IMG_3144.jpg

Huge MCF and Huge RBTA!:

IMG_3141.jpg

Very small frags of purple haze and seasons greetings healing(front of picture setosa healing in the back too):

IMG_3136.jpg

Screaming green birds nest(to replace the colony that I lost) on the right and setosa on the left:

IMG_3135.jpg

Sunset monti colony:

IMG_3130.jpg

GSP colony expanding on my bare bottom, which is exactly what I want:

IMG_3125.jpg

My prized huge orange monti:

IMG_3124.jpg

My huge and beautiful RBTA:

IMG_3137.jpg

Side view:

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

Front( right side view):

IMG_3123.jpg

And Finally FTS 09/15/2015. Thanks for viewing!:

IMG_3122.jpg

Nice frags!...that clown is a bull!!

Thanks. Yeah, she's freaking huge!

Everything looks awesome! :)

Love the Montipora collection

Thanks. II absolutely love montis since they are fast growers and they all have different shapes and colors.Did you see all the frags with blue polyps that I have? Crazy right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
reefernanoman

October Update! I added an ATI 4 Bulb Dimmable fixture (set at 100%) to supplement my Kessil. I'm not replacing my Kessil, since I still like the look better, and for some reason, I can take better pictures with the Kessil at intensity 100% and spectrum at 100%. I'm only going to bathe my corals with T5's for 2 hours a day for the first week, then increase it to 3 hours the next week, so that hopefully I can eliminate some of the areas of my colonies that are not getting light. While the T5's are on, I turn off my Kessil. Also I hope to get more even growth from my SPS too. I bought the ATI used from a fellow reefer here and it even came with the bulbs that have about two months of usage. The bulbs are two Blue + , one Coral + and one Purple +.

I went to Home Depot and found some shelf rails that I put together in order to hang my light. Here is what it looks like T5's on only:

IMG_3195.jpgIMG_3196.jpgIMG_3207.jpg

And now just an October FTS 10/05/15 with my Kessil light on only. Lots of growth!:

IMG_3206.jpg

reefernanoman

What type of filtration runing?water changes every weekend?..tank looks great! :)

Thanks! 3.5G WC every Thursday, and filtration is the following: Intank media basket, with filter floss on the top, nothing in the middle and chemipure blue at the bottom.

reefernanoman

Looks great. I thought about taking the rim off my cube, but after my clown jumping into the rear chamber, I'm going to add a screen top.

Thanks. Yeah, you have to be careful with fish jumping out. For some reason my MCF have never done this.

Looks great! I like the color with the new light :)

Thanks teeny. Honestly, I don't really like that particular bulb combo, but like i said, it's only on for 2 hours anyways.

reefernanoman

Dang, tanks looking great- that orange cap has a great growth pattern to it!

Thanks! Hopefully my other monti caps get that big too! I love that orange cap so much.

Thanks. Yeah, you have to be careful with fish jumping out. For some reason my MCF have never done this.

Thanks teeny. Honestly, I don't really like that particular bulb combo, but like i said, it's only on for 2 hours anyways.

It's funny, I looked back and forth between the two pictures several times trying to decide which one I like more. I suspect the Kessil looks better in real life than in the pictures.

reefernanoman

It's funny, I looked back and forth between the two pictures several times trying to decide which one I like more. I suspect the Kessil looks better in real life than in the pictures.

It does look much better to my eyes (the Kessil), but for that, I have to make it at 50% intensity and the color at 30%, which my camera can't handle. It looks way too blue and the colors are off.

• 1 month later...

Montipora looks awesome, and the GSP is going to cover the bottom in no time!

Super jealous of your T5s haha. Nothing beats them for hard corals

reefernanoman

Montipora looks awesome, and the GSP is going to cover the bottom in no time!

Super jealous of your T5s haha. Nothing beats them for hard corals

Thanks. I just use the T5 for a mid day effect TBH with the hope to get a little faster and more even growth.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived