ReefCleaners.org

28g Nanocube, Kessil/T5 Supplement . October FTS 2016 update p#9

reefernanoman

I use a maxspect razor nano 16k. It's worked well for me. I would like to upgrade but have other priorities now,and it works lol. Eventually I'll upgrade to a nano box I would think.

But right now extra money is tied up with the puppy which tends to happen.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman

I use a maxspect razor nano 16k. It's worked well for me. I would like to upgrade but have other priorities now,and it works lol. Eventually I'll upgrade to a nano box I would think.

But right now extra money is tied up with the puppy which tends to happen.

I heard that. ;)

I heard that. ;)

Yea lol they are spoiled and we have started doing supplements because the puppies breed needs extra stuff added like salmon oil and dried kelp along with quality dry and raw on occasion

HarryPotter

Yea lol they are spoiled and we have started doing supplements because the puppies breed needs extra stuff added like salmon oil and dried kelp along with quality dry and raw on occasion

What breed? Pictures or they don't exist! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. Searching nano-reef.com for Nano Cube 28 rimless leads me to this thread. Let me say I am very impressed with what you did here!

I'm planning on de-rimming my nano cube 28 as well. Do you have any pro tips? Knowing what you do now, is there anything you'd do differently the second time around?

I'm thinking about using a dremmel to cut through the plastic rim first, then try prying away at the plastic. Would using a hair dryer help loosen up the silicone?

Do you feel like removing the plastic rim has compromised the overall structure or stability of the glass/tank?

Read through this all. Best part was about how annoyed your wife gets. I laughed out loud. I am in the SAME boat.

reefernanoman

Hello. Searching nano-reef.com for Nano Cube 28 rimless leads me to this thread. Let me say I am very impressed with what you did here!

I'm planning on de-rimming my nano cube 28 as well. Do you have any pro tips? Knowing what you do now, is there anything you'd do differently the second time around?

I'm thinking about using a dremmel to cut through the plastic rim first, then try prying away at the plastic. Would using a hair dryer help loosen up the silicone?

Do you feel like removing the plastic rim has compromised the overall structure or stability of the glass/tank?

Thanks! I was too lazy to look for old threads abut how to remove the rim, so I did it on my own. First, I would have used a hair dryer for sure (I didn't and had to use muscle instead!). Second, I would try to use something sharper and thinner than the crappy kitchen knife that I used, since I put some hair line scratches on my glass. Third, I did use my head and did cut off a piece of the rim from the left rear corner and began lifting the rim from there, so I would do that again. Now, it's been about a month since I derimmed my tank and have had no issues with the structure or leaks. I don't think that it makes the tank structure weaker, since it's just a rim and not a bracket. Good luck!

Read through this all. Best part was about how annoyed your wife gets. I laughed out loud. I am in the SAME boat.

Thanks. I really try not to even look at the tanks when my wife is home, because it's almost certain that she will say "there you go again with that obsession!". Luckily I have "tank time" for myself due to different work schedules, so I'm always home in the morning. But now my daughter is off from school, but she likes tanks too!

OK, so the movement this morning of my BTA from my 28g to my 10G was a success. A few pictures of my corals 05/15/15:

IMG_2178.jpgIMG_2180.jpgIMG_2183.jpgIMG_2186.jpgIMG_2187.jpgIMG_2188.jpgIMG_2189.jpg

And the mandatory FTS 05/15/15 :

IMG_2192.jpg

I forgot these two :

IMG_2193.jpgIMG_2199.jpg

This lens on my SL1 is not that good because my corals look much better in person!

Oh man, how did I miss this update? This is awesome! I really like the derimmed look with the new Kessil :wub:

reefernanoman

Oh man, how did I miss this update? This is awesome! I really like the derimmed look with the new Kessil :wub:

Thanks teeny! Meanwhile, my fusion wheels keep falling off! But I will try to keep working on that one.

reefernanoman

I don't now why but my bam bam frag melted away. Maybe because the intensity of my light was set too high?

Could be, but from what you've described, it could be more of a problem with excess nutrients. At least in my tank, every time I have zoas melting, I've been able to reverse the problem with a good sand bed cleaning and a 75% water change. I just pull everything out, drain all but about two inches of water (including the back chambers), stir up the sand bed really well, and then drain almost all the rest of the water to suck out the crap. Then I put some of the old water back in and top off with new water. 24 hours later, my zoas look great.

• 2 months later...
reefernanoman

A little update 08/10/15. Some of my SPS didn't like the fact that I left for two weeks so they were not looking so happy when I came back due to the excess algae, but I already took care of that. Also, my BTA's decided to live right next to each other for some reason( one is a GBTA and one is a RBTA). And a bit of a new aquascape and movement of some of the corals too.

FTS:

IMG_3012.jpg

Finally a good close-up of my rainbow Acan:

IMG_3006.jpg

More pics:

IMG_3011.jpgIMG_3009.jpgIMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

My GSP growing on my bare bottom. Yes!:

IMG_3003.jpg

Thanks! I was too lazy to look for old threads abut how to remove the rim, so I did it on my own. First, I would have used a hair dryer for sure (I didn't and had to use muscle instead!). Second, I would try to use something sharper and thinner than the crappy kitchen knife that I used, since I put some hair line scratches on my glass. Third, I did use my head and did cut off a piece of the rim from the left rear corner and began lifting the rim from there, so I would do that again. Now, it's been about a month since I derimmed my tank and have had no issues with the structure or leaks. I don't think that it makes the tank structure weaker, since it's just a rim and not a bracket. Good luck!

Thanks. I really try not to even look at the tanks when my wife is home, because it's almost certain that she will say "there you go again with that obsession!". Luckily I have "tank time" for myself due to different work schedules, so I'm always home in the morning. But now my daughter is off from school, but she likes tanks too!

HA! Same story here with my Mom. Cant be near my tank when she's home haha- I thought I was the only one!

Its sort of like Batman....

reefernanoman

HA! Same story here with my Mom. Cant be near my tank when she's home haha- I thought I was the only one!

Its sort of like Batman....

HAhaha. So very true. Many of us here have that common problem.

• 2 weeks later...
reefernanoman

A better video than the last one using my Canon Sl1, which leaves my Galaxy S4 in the dust. I'll be adding four new frags of montis tomorrow. Stay tuned:

reefernanoman

Before the frags were shipped, I added a jedi mind trick to the mix! And today I went to a local's reefers house to pick up the following frags: Bird of paradise(always wanted one), green monti cap(with purple rim and blue polyps), and two frags of screaming birds nest to replace the colony I lost to those damn Xenia chemicals a while back. Pictures and video coming.

reefernanoman

Some of my New additions that I could get a good picture of. The others, I would need a macro lens to get a good picture. Corals with no pictures: Kwajalein Montipora peltiformis (blue polyps with brown background), and M. palawacensis (orange color).

Green monti cap with purple rim and blue polyps

IMG_3049.jpg

Idaho grape with blue polyps and blue rim:

IMG_3048.jpg

Bird of paradise:

IMG_3045.jpg

Green polyp purple cap:

IMG_3043.jpg

Jedi mind trick:

IMG_3042.jpg

I just got into this hobby a month or so ago and I was going to do a 20 gallon long. But since this thread and money I would save I think imma go with a 28g nano just like yours. Who makes the tank and does it come included with everything minus the upgrades you've put onto it like the light and de rimming it? Also would the stock lights be good for growing basic beginner corals?

reefernanoman

I just got into this hobby a month or so ago and I was going to do a 20 gallon long. But since this thread and money I would save I think imma go with a 28g nano just like yours. Who makes the tank and does it come included with everything minus the upgrades you've put onto it like the light and de rimming it? Also would the stock lights be good for growing basic beginner corals?

Hi. Yeah, they have a few models of the JBJ nanocube that I have, but honestly, the stock lights are "meh". The glass also is not the clearest either. I would definitely take a look at the nuvo tanks(I have a fusion 10g). I think that a 40g fusion(the cube one) with an AI PRIME could grow softies and other. beginner corals. I would go with that : fusion 40g, AI PRIME. After that, I would upgrade the media baskets with the Intank ones and that's about it. That's what I would do if I could do it again. I think the cheapest nanocube that they sell is the quad PC lamp model($319 at Marine Depot). The fusion 40g is $349, and you can pick up an AI PRIME cheap (even less than $200) used.

Hi. Yeah, they have a few models of the JBJ nanocube that I have, but honestly, the stock lights are "meh". The glass also is not the clearest either. I would definitely take a look at the nuvo tanks(I have a fusion 10g). I think that a 40g fusion(the cube one) with an AI PRIME could grow softies and other. beginner corals. I would go with that : fusion 30g, AI PRIME. After that, I would upgrade the media baskets with the Intank ones and that's about it. That's what I would do if I could do it again. I think the cheapest nanocube that they sell is the quad PC lamp model($319 at Marine Depot). The fusion 40g is $349, and you can pick up an AI PRIME cheap (even less than $200) used.

Thanks for the info. I have found a new AI prime with clip on stans for around 205-210 price range

Archived