Cultivated Reef

What are these little green guys?

bjbass

This one guy popped up next to my sinulara and now there are two more. They don't really look like they are majanos, but they have reproduced quickly? It COULD be a green grassy mushroom though because I bought that at the same time. What do you think?

whatarethese_zps357c68bf.jpg

Try poking them to see how it looks with the polyps retracted.

Believe it or not it does have a skeleton! I attempted to get some pictures when it was scrunched up, but with an iPhone it is pretty bad taking pictures of your tank.

photo3_zpsd819785a.jpg

photo1_zps854991a8.jpg

lnglostsurfer

Need better pictures. Or maybe its just dim in this bar but it looks like a HH coral at first glance.

So you are out at a bar and still on nano-reef? Just can't get enough of us can you? haha

Perhaps Green Pocillopora.

I looked at some pictures of that and it looks very much like it!

The scary thing though is every day there are more and more of these little spots popping up. There must be 3 or 4 that popped in the last few days and there are two spots across on the other side of my tank. Is it possible for this stuff to do that? Seems a little unusual.

Weird, that sounds like some kind of infestation, like something spawned. You may want to ask where you bought it from. Did you see any in their tank, the lfs?

Weird, that sounds like some kind of infestation, like something spawned. You may want to ask where you bought it from. Did you see any in their tank, the lfs?

I am scared that may be the case. One of my returns is pointed right at that frag rack though. I moved that rack so it isn't there anymore. I don't know if that was blowing around polyps. At any rate, I hope I can figure out exactly what this is. If it is SPS I am good with that.

I bought this frag from an online retailer, but it was on that frag rack for months until this popped up.

I looked at some pictures of that and it looks very much like it!

The scary thing though is every day there are more and more of these little spots popping up. There must be 3 or 4 that popped in the last few days and there are two spots across on the other side of my tank. Is it possible for this stuff to do that? Seems a little unusual.

Very common with Pocillopora. One method of reproduction for this corals is polyp bailout. For this coral polyp bailout is not a sign of stress just a means of reproduction. It will begin to pop up in several places, if that is what is going on.

• 2 months later...

I was looking at the pictures of pocillopora and galaxea and I think it looks more like galaxea. Pretty cool stuff since it just popped up out of nowhere. Is this a good coral to have?

I don't know what that is you have on the actual frag piece, it appears to be some type of leather. Either way, they're either going to sting each other, or the galaxea is going to sting it. Paucisepta, Longisepta or astrea would be the species I would think. But there isn't a whole lot of info out there. Most LFS or OFS simply call it Galaxea...

Archived