Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Sea Coral Pro low calcium and magnesium?

gatorreefer

I was having difficulty with my levels despite frequent water changes, so I mixed up a new batch of water at gravity 1.025 and tested Mag and Calcium. It was thoroughly mixed with no cloudiness. The Calcium tested 250 and Magnesium 800!

I was having difficulty with my levels despite frequent water changes, so I mixed up a new batch of water at gravity 1.025 and tested Mag and Calcium. It was thoroughly mixed with no cloudiness. The Calcium tested 250 and Magnesium 800!

I doubt it, since this salt is usually very reliable. Was it an old bucket and perhaps the salt had settled and needed stirring first? Have you double checked your testing kits and methods. Bad kits would show low levels in both the display and the new water. You might also have an issue with salinity. Perhaps something is calibrated incorrectly? Good refractometers will adjust for temperature, something most needed in the winter as the water supply gets colder.

I should add, if your are confident in your testing then get the batch number off the container and contact Red Sea immediately to report an issue.

I used the reference solution to check my test kits and they were spot-on. The bucket is brand new, and I reported it to my lfs. My lfs said they would contact the manufacturer, and probably replace my bucket of salt, but I cannot say that I am a satisfied customer!

The batch # on the lid says 2513511.

How long are you mixing for? RSCP states in a youtube video on mixing their salt to not mix over 4 hours. If you do, some elements will precipitate out. You can also tell this by the "dusty" residue left over in your mixing container.

Did you take it out of the plastic and pour half of it into the bucket, then roll the bucket, then pour the rest? Or stir it in bucket?

It seems yours isn't properly mixed.

Another person mentioned to me in another thread to mix the bucket thoroughly, so I did and I get the same reading. This is freshly mixed water, clear with no cloudiness. I just did it again to make sure, so this is the 4 th time I have tested this salt mix. I mixed it to a gravity of 1.025, and the calcium level was 250! I know this is hard to believe, but no one is more shocked than me!

we had this happen recently with our local club. You can see the thread here : http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/28455-red-sea-coral-pro-stats/

The three things I remember being an issue was mixing time (over mixing), adding too much salt to the water without proper mixing, and the refractometer being calibrated with RODI instead of 35 PPM solution. (The refract manual even said to use RODI to calibrate but it was throwing off the refract.)

I used the reference solution to check my test kits and they were spot-on. The bucket is brand new, and I reported it to my lfs. My lfs said they would contact the manufacturer, and probably replace my bucket of salt, but I cannot say that I am a satisfied customer!

The batch # on the lid says 2513511.

Forget the LFS, contact (email) Red Sea directly and see if they can verify an issue with the batch.

I made up my 30 gallon reef with this salt! Did several water changes when my calcium was low, couldn't get my level to budge, so I started a thread on here about it. That is when someone suggested I check the mix! The dkh is 12.....

Yes, I called the phone # on the bucket, and spoke to someone who had no idea what I was talking about. He did say that he would have someone knowledgeable call me back, we will see if this happens...............

I do not have a refractometer, I have a hydrometer calibrated to the hydrometer at my lfs. But even if my hydrometer is off by a bit, the levels of calcium and mag are way too low.

Let me test mine as well. I mixed it properly but didnt test right away. I am using it now. The life in my tank became even more lively so I didn't bother to continue with the test. I ordered mine from Drsfosterandsmith.

I do not have a refractometer, I have a hydrometer calibrated to the hydrometer at my lfs. But even if my hydrometer is off by a bit, the levels of calcium and mag are way too low.

This reeks of user error. I rely on my LFS to take my money, nothing else. :) And yes, if you mixed with cold water your hydrometer can be pretty far off. Hydrometers are toys, get a reliable refractometer.

Hi Folks, a couple of points worth a mention here, firstly it is always good practise to dry mix salt before use regardless of brand, whilst weight is a good indication for mixing the correct amount of salt it is also important to check the salinity and how it is measured, hydrometers need temperature compensating as most are calibrated at 20c, refractometers also need a calibration check from time to time as well as zeroing, simply zeroing the instrument does not guarantee it accuracy.

We here at Red Sea take all quality complaints very seriously, we are happy to investigate any complaint made, in the first instance please contact your dedicated customer service department, details available on our website here http://www.redseafish.com/index.aspx?id=4421

gatorreefer, please contact me directly via email uk.info@redseafish.com I will investigate your complaint fully.

Regards

Red Sea Kev

Red Sea Group Technical Support Manager

Thanks for the info kev.I too had the same experience when calling the U.S. customer support number about 8 months ago about test kit issues.Your email will come in handy if I ever have any more issues.

Sounds to me like hydrometer is reading wrong. If you look at the thread i linked a member at that club calibrated with rod I and thought he was reading the right SG when he was off by 2 ppt and when adjusted it jumped his readings way up. I wouldn't trust a hydrometer

I used a refractometer today and the water I am testing reads 1.026. Would someone please test the calcium of their newly mixed Red Sea Coral Pro salt and post what you get?

-----Robin Hoon

Archived