SaltCritters.com

Red Sea Test Kits

Reeftech

I have a friend that is now on his 4th bad reef foundation pro test kit.He bought the first 1 from an lfs and it was bad.So he took it back to lfs and got another.That one was bad so he called red sea and they sent him a new one and it was bad.Called red sea again and they over night shipped him one and it is bad.Red sea has now told him to take a kit to the lfs and get store credit and they will be sending him another after they test it before shipping.

Yes these are all different batch numbers and in good dates.The kits have been compared to multiple other kits and brands even hannah checkers.

My question is has anyone else had this issue lately?I really like my red sea kit but if this is going to happen next time i get a kit ill go ahead and change over to salifert.

BTW its the calcium test that is bad.

Edit:Red sea has issued a voluntary reagent recall.Check here to see if your batch is affected.

http://www.redseafis...campaign=redsea

I've used several RedSea kits including mag, calc,kh an no3 and have never faced any sort of problem that you seem to be facing. Are you stopping the titation at the correct color for calc?

Like i mentioned these kits have been tested against other kits and brands.These include another red sea pro kit that is 4 months old and always has good readings,hannah checker calcium,salifert calcium test and just for an extra test an api kit.they have been tested at an lfs using both water from their tanks and water from my friends tank.We do know how to properly use test kits and are not new to using them so i think operator error is out of the question.

Like i mentioned these kits have been tested against other kits and brands.These include another red sea pro kit that is 4 months old and always has good readings,hannah checker calcium,salifert calcium test and just for an extra test an api kit.they have been tested at an lfs using both water from their tanks and water from my friends tank.We do know how to properly use test kits and are not new to using them so i think operator error is out of the question.

Forgive me, but saying that 4, new, different batch, test kits are bad is a bit hard to believe.

I know a few years back they had an issue with the jar seals being bad on the titrant bottles.The liquid would leak out into the case.I dont know if long term exposure to air could be an issue.

Solarflare8806

I have the cal/alk and PO4/NO3 kits and don't seem to have a problem. I bought mine about a month ago from DrsFoster&smith

• 3 weeks later...

Heres the outcome of the reef pro test kits.Dont know what they are going to do about the algae kit yet.

http://www.redseafish.com/calcium-B?trk_msg=CHLBE493NM3K9DV2912T4VD5M0&trk_contact=M4FUREF3709IESGJDCH8UC0T5G&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.redseafish.com%2fcalcium-B&utm_campaign=redsea

Btw veng it wasnt just 4 but 15 batches they are recalling.

Just found it on the Red Sea web site then here. Ca was consistently reading 500 ppm (the max level for this kit) on my kit and yup ... I had a bad batch (#2063, expiry 10/2015).

Ugh, we have two total in inventory that are effected, not too bad actually. Pulled from stock, went to fill out the form and it doesn't like our street numbers. Time to contact the rep directly.

I just bought the algae control kit to test my mom's nitrates. She has a heavily stocked tank with infrequent water changes and heavy feeding, and the tank tested 0! I wonder now if this test is bad..........I just do not believe her Nitrates are 0, they have always been high......I will be finding another test kit to compare!

--Robin

She may have a good bio-load of bacteria helping her out.. And maybe the other tests before were inaccurate?

Valid points^

I know its not always a sign but does her water look crisp and clear or dingy?Also does she have any coral that doesnt look happy?

Archived