inTank Media Baskets

Red Sea Coral Pro low calcium and magnesium?

gatorreefer

I used a refractometer today and the water I am testing reads 1.026. Would someone please test the calcium of their newly mixed Red Sea Coral Pro salt and post what you get?-----Robin Hoon

Was the refractometer calibrated with 35 ppt solution first? And I always let the refract sit in the same room as the tank to temp stabilize.(could be pointless but doesn't hurt to let it sit there)

Brian at Red Sea called me 3 times today and asked questions about my test kit, etc. He then emailed me the mixing instructions, which aside from the recommended mixing temp of 68 I follow to the T. He said he is looking into this.......

Well I did mine with a re-calibrated refractometer at 1.025 and got 425 Ca, 11 dKH, 1500 Mg. My tank measured 1.025, 445 Ca, 11dKH, and 1500 Mg. The Mg is a little high but I will not have an bryopsis issue.

Brian at Red Sea called me 3 times today and asked questions about my test kit, etc. He then emailed me the mixing instructions, which aside from the recommended mixing temp of 68 I follow to the T. He said he is looking into this.......

What temperature did you mix at?

I mixed at about 73 degrees F. After mixing with a powerhead in the bucket for one hour, the mix had come up to room temp about 76 degrees F. The mix was perfectly clear, no cloudiness to suggest precipitation.

As I expected, no more calls or e-mails from RedSea. My LFS did tell me that if I returned the remainder of the salt they would refund my money and return the product to their supplier.

I will do this to save $50, and I will be buying TropicMarin salt from now on. All I can say is please test whatever mix you use, and don't trust what is stated on the container.............

-----Robin

My lfs uses the coralife scientific grade salt and I have expericienced nothing but good results.I have pretty much lost hope in Red sea as a company due to their lack of customer service.

I just want to say one thing. Everyone recommends a salt. Everyone states that they have used a salt and have good results. But what are those good results? Everything growing? Well if that is response, it may not be because of the salt, it may be because of good husbandry etc. The purpose of salt is to give you saltwater; give you parameters close to the "idea" parameters and you dose from there to replenish those parameters or do water changes. There are bad batches. Shit happens. Salt mix will never be 100% the same in every bucket shipped out on the same pallet. Its only been 3 days and not 3 weeks. They are a business with lots of customers and products. Just take a second and rationalize things clearly.

I don't expect exactly the same mix every time, and I do understand that there may have been a bad batch. I am providing the reefing community with my experience with a product, and will continue to do so good, or bad. I hope whatever the problem is, that RedSea figures it out and gets back to me about it. If they do, I will provide that info as well.

Archived