Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Charlie Bit My Finger's IM Nuvo 24

charlie truong

Charlie- How many lbs of rock would u guess is in ur tank? I went pretty minimal myself and def did not subscribe to the pound/gallon philosophy. I might have close to 10 lbs in my Nuvo 24, some rubble in the back, and 1 inch of sand. I was wondering if I needed to add more to create a sufficient bio filter environment.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
charlie truong

Sorry all! I have not been on NR lately.

I see you are running your MP10 on the right side of the tank, I was wondering about this... Obviously the skimmer is on the right rear sump chamber, does the MP10 push most of the water into the overflow on the left side? My concern is that if the flow is pushing the water to the left that less of the water column is flowing through the right rear sump where the skimmer sits, thus limiting its effectiveness. Have you played at all with switching from right to left side of the tank?

No real reason why its on the right besides it was easier to hide the wires plus I work from home often from that desk you see and it would obstruct my view from that angle haha! And never thought to switch sides...too lazy. As for my skimmer, I can't tell if its working better or worse due to the water flow.

Great looking tank, very well done. Nice job on the wiring box :).

Thanks yo! its the OCD that helps

Ya know I have a bigger version of that same canister your using for your ATO if you want it. I have like 4 lol

haha! for a moment I was like whos this? Its bc I text you personally more than on NR now. But thanks I have a large 5g tank but I only use it if I go away for a weekend or more.

What setting do you have your MP10 on? And how much power do you keep it at?

I have it on Reef at 75%? - 5 clicks from max

Charlie- How many lbs of rock would u guess is in ur tank? I went pretty minimal myself and def did not subscribe to the pound/gallon philosophy. I might have close to 10 lbs in my Nuvo 24, some rubble in the back, and 1 inch of sand. I was wondering if I needed to add more to create a sufficient bio filter environment.

No idea...this hobby is too technical, keep it simple I say. I just bought enough live rock to make it look sweet. And its true, I roughly have less than 20g of actual saltwater in it with all the rock and sand.

It's only really a 20 gallon display ... I did that math :P the full volume is 23.5 gallons give or take

My Nuvo 24 only has about 14 lbs of rock in it and took 19 gallons of water. I run it as full as I can, too. So with the displacement of the rock and sand it's nowhere near 24 gallons. However, the sump will take a full 5 gallon jug by itself. So if the display is ~19 and the sump 5 then it's a true 24 gallon tank.

The pound of rock per gallon rule is definitely flawed. The amount of biofilter that you have actually depends much more on the surface area of the rock and how porous the rock is. You also have to take into consideration what other filter media you are running and if you have a sandbed or bare bottom.

HammerheadV13

What are you running your MP10 on? I see you have the pico shield, does it make a drastic difference? I am running mine on Reef Crest Random on the 6th LED, it creates a sandstorm or rearranges my sand bed near the front glass. Also I notice hardly any flow on the opposite side of the tank with just the MP10. I'm in some need of advice on this thing.

What are you running your MP10 on? I see you have the pico shield, does it make a drastic difference?

From what I understand the PicO shield is so that you can run the MP10 very close to the surface of the water without causing large disturbances. It lets you run it in very shallow tanks, or in our case very close to the top of the water so that it disturbs your sandbed less.

charlie truong

Exactly what defender.TX says haha. I'm on the 9th led, reef crest mode as well. After moving all my stuff into the replacement tank I decided to lower the mp10 down and did notice it started to pick up some sand at that setting so ended up lower the power to 7th led.

Mainly the shield, from what I notice allows you to put the mp10 closer to the top without splashing water or gargling air.

HammerheadV13

What grain size is your sand? I can't anywhere close to the 9th LED without creating a massive sandstorm. That pico shield sounds like it's definitely worth the $25.

charlie truong

What grain size is your sand? I can't anywhere close to the 9th LED without creating a massive sandstorm. That pico shield sounds like it's definitely worth the $25.

I ended up getting the 'oolite' sand at Petco...since I did not want to wait for shipping and my LFS was out...but it turned out pretty sweet. Love the clean white and even though the grain size is super fine, I haven't experienced any sand storms yet.

How do you like your tunze skimmer performance/noise? Did u mod the airline?

Love the Tunze skimmer, no complaints yet. The airline mod from youtube works awesome especially the first few weeks when trying to find the sweet spot. No micro bubbles whatsoever.

HammerheadV13

Love the Tunze skimmer, no complaints yet. The airline mod from youtube works awesome especially the first few weeks when trying to find the sweet spot. No micro bubbles whatsoever.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to stuff like this. Do you have a parts list of the line and valve you used for the mod? I can't seem to find any specific info on this. I also hear that sometimes after the mod the inTank cup will not seat properly and that there is an occasional whistle? I just ordered my Tunze and InTank cup this week from Stevie T.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Marine Depot

UPDATE: new pretty things :)

FTS 09.11.13

EB7A0809.jpg

Assortment of Ricordea (sweet deal on eBay):

EB7A0827.jpg

EB7A0831.jpg

EB7A0833.jpg

Hey,

I am currently working on an article that highlights amazing innovative marine nuvo aquariums. I love your tank and was wondering if we could use your tank and give you credit for all your hard work. Please let me know, thank you!

• 1 year later...

Archived