Coral Vue Hydros

Charlie Bit My Finger's IM Nuvo 24

charlie truong

charlie truong

Sooooo....it's been quite some time since I've had a tank (a little over 7 years). My last tank was in college...the days where we would eat cup noodle just to buy frags haha!

My first love 24g Nanocube:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/154727-my-24-nanocube-wsunpod-2yrs/

Anyways as many would say the saltwater itch never really leaves a person. So here's my jump back into the water with the new IM Nuvo 24. So much sweetness, love this tank!

EB7A0534.jpg

Equipment:

• Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 All-In-One-Aquarium
  • Tunze 9002 Nano Skimmer w/InTank Cup
  • Vortech MP10 Powerhead w/Pico MP10 Shield
  • Hamilton Cayman Sun HQI MH w/Phoenix 14k bulb
  • JBJ Nano-Glo LED Refugium Light
  • Tunze Osmolator 3152
  • InTank Custom Media & Fuge Basket
  • Shoreline Marine LED Moonlight
  • Chemi-Pure
  • Purigen
  • Cheato

Livestock:

• 3 Nassarius Snail
  • 1 Fighting Conch
  • 3 Cerith Snails
  • 2 Sexy Shrimps
  • 3 Blue/Green Chromis
  • 1 Yellow Watchman Goby

Coral:

• Assorted Zoanthids
  • White/Green Torch
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Jasmine Polyps
  • Candy Cane
  • Pavona (Lettuce/Cactus/Potato Chip) - impulse purchase...need to research more :)

Planned Equipment aka Unnecessary But Want:

• Apex Lite/Jr Controller
  • Chiler

EB7A0613.jpg

EB7A0597.jpg

EB7A0599.jpg

EB7A0600.jpg

EB7A0604.jpg

EB7A0612.jpg

EB7A0547.jpg

EB7A0568.jpg

EB7A0591.jpg

EB7A0593.jpg

EB7A0589.jpg

EB7A0581.jpg

EB7A0575.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My god. No offense to any of the other Nuvo 24 owners on this site (especially JayWee!) but I think this might be my favorite Nuvo 24 here. The aquascape is gorgeous and the stocking is awesome. I've thought about putting some Chromis in mine, yours look awesome.

How is the Tunze 9002 treating you? I'm assuming you used it because you already had it? I'm trying to figure out if I want to get this or the Innovative Marine Skimmate in the future.

HammerheadV13

Your equipment setup is exactly the direction I am going, with the exception of lighting. Your wire management is on point! Following!

charlie truong

Suhhhweeet! Thanks y'all for the awesome comments! I'll keep an update as I add to the tank.

My god. No offense to any of the other Nuvo 24 owners on this site (especially JayWee!) but I think this might be my favorite Nuvo 24 here. The aquascape is gorgeous and the stocking is awesome. I've thought about putting some Chromis in mine, yours look awesome.

How is the Tunze 9002 treating you? I'm assuming you used it because you already had it? I'm trying to figure out if I want to get this or the Innovative Marine Skimmate in the future.

Thanks! Funny thing is I actually was drooling over your tank before I started...you gave me some inspiration for the aquascape, so thank you!

As for the Tunze 9002, it's seems to be finally broken in...for the first 2 weeks I kept having to adjust the air valve (which I modified from this kid on YouTube). It doesn't spit out microbubbles which was the main reason why I didn't go with IM Skimmate... plus I found too many mixed review with IM Skimmate.

Your equipment setup is exactly the direction I am going, with the exception of lighting. Your wire management is on point! Following!

Really appreciate that you noticed...I'm kinda OCD when it comes to things having to be aligned and in its place. I have bags of zip-ties to keep things in order haha!

Tip for Nuvo 24 owners: I luckily caught my Yellow Watchmen in the first chamber on top of my filter pad...the grills/cuts for the overflow are pretty wide. And I guess he was chilling too close to the top and slipped through, so I cut a few extra filter pads to cover the grills/cut...hopefully it helps.

reefernanoman

Nice comeback into the nanoreef world! I'm going to college too(I'm assuming that you finished), with the exception that I'm 37 and with a family and always trying to buy something for my nano 28G!lol. Those tanks are soooo nice, and so is yours.

charlie truong

New Roommates!

FTS 09.06.13

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/charlietruong/media/DSC_4619.jpg.html'>DSC_4619.jpg

A pair of Black Ice & Fancy Snowflake Clowns:

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/charlietruong/media/DSC_4635.jpg.html'>DSC_4635.jpg

...I hope the Black Ice matures into some dark sweetness

Red Monti Caps:

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/charlietruong/media/DSC_4646.jpg.html'>DSC_4646.jpg

The Home Office:

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/charlietruong/media/DSC_4661.jpg.html'>DSC_4661.jpg

Question???

What are these jelly fish looking critters? I had them in my old tank waaayy back ago and they disappeared on its own but this time my front glass is covered in them. Tried googling them but no luck on finding an answer...hopefully someone here knows? Thanks!

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/charlietruong/media/photo.jpg.html'>photo.jpg

charlie truong

The creatures on your glass are hydroids...

They are not the droids you are looking for.

Thanks for the response! It seems like I have both types of hydroids...the jellyfish form and the colonial.

Those are some beautiful pictures with that macro lens! Not to mention an overall stunning tank

Sweet! Thanks yo

Amazing photos! I'm still trying to get the white balance correct in mine. What lens is that? Also what aperture?

:) For WB, I tried custom but it seems like auto worked the best...plus I color correct when I run it through photoshop. As for the lens, its a Canon Macro 65mm.

charlie truong

Amazing photos! I'm still trying to get the white balance correct in mine. What lens is that? Also what aperture?

Oh forgot, f/2.8

Awesome. The only lens I have is not really suited for aquarium photography, it's a Canon 28-135mm and the lowest aperture I can get is f/3.5. It comes out pretty well, but the auto white balance on the Rebel XT DSLR is terrible. It makes my tank look like it's lit in UV when it looks blue-ish white to the human eye. I'm trying to shoot in RAW and set the white balance in post processing on the Macbook but I'm still working out the kinks.

How are the Clowns getting along with the Chromis? That's the main thing that's stopped me from getting any, my Clowns like to hang out in the middle of my water column and I'm worried they would get picked on.

charlie truong

Awesome. The only lens I have is not really suited for aquarium photography, it's a Canon 28-135mm and the lowest aperture I can get is f/3.5. It comes out pretty well, but the auto white balance on the Rebel XT DSLR is terrible. It makes my tank look like it's lit in UV when it looks blue-ish white to the human eye. I'm trying to shoot in RAW and set the white balance in post processing on the Macbook but I'm still working out the kinks.

How are the Clowns getting along with the Chromis? That's the main thing that's stopped me from getting any, my Clowns like to hang out in the middle of my water column and I'm worried they would get picked on.

Definitely shoot RAW, I work for a photography/marketing company and honestly don't sweat it on the gear. You can get some sweet shots with the 28-135mm. It's nearly impossible to get the correct WB in camera....unfortunately you need to use Photoshop or Lightroom to color correct (hence why RAW plays a huge factor).

As for the Clowns and Chromis, they are actually schooling with one another :) My biggest concern was the Chromis...I've read so many mixed reviews of them killing their own mysteriously. Someone had said in order to keep them successfully you would need at least 5+ Chromis for them not to dominate another. Also was told that if you kept them well fed (I feed the tank once a day), there wouldn't be an issue.

I went with 3 haha! and its been almost a month and things are smooth...

So beautiful cant wait for mine now just to start saving ;) i love the rock scape so minimalist with just two island i was thinking of doing this to mine but maybe more rock to make it wider

post-79083-0-19936500-1378781527_thumb.jpg

Yeah no worries with the Chromis and Clowns. I have one Chromis and two Clowns and they never fight. Usually hang out together. The aggressive ones in my tank are the Talbot's Damsel and the Yellowtail Blenny.

Archived