ReefCleaners.org

Maxima Size

Chris L

Was wondering what is the larges Maxima you've seen? I've noticed that quite a few of the ones coming from LA and PEA are around 5-6". I believe the max size on these is noted to be around 16" in wild (12" captivity) if i'm not mistaken.

Do the aquaculture facilities shoot for about 5-6" sale size so that survive-ability increases? Or is this due to better coloration at this size as opposed to 2-3"?

jedimasterben

A very, very tiny percentage of maxima clams can get larger than 22cm (9 inches), and most of them are smaller than that, around 6-8".

Was wondering what is the larges Maxima you've seen? I've noticed that quite a few of the ones coming from LA and PEA are around 5-6". I believe the max size on these is noted to be around 16" in wild (12" captivity) if i'm not mistaken.

Do the aquaculture facilities shoot for about 5-6" sale size so that survive-ability increases? Or is this due to better coloration at this size as opposed to 2-3"?

The largest Maxima I have ever seen was 8 inches, and was a boring brown color. These larger maximas from PEA and LA are all wild caught, and have nothing to do with any aquaculture facility. The reason 99% of all wild caught clams are atleast 4 inches is because the laws of their natve countries do not allow collection of smaller sized clams. They barely even allow collection for our hobby and would rather sell them to the food industry.

The largest Maxima I have ever seen was 8 inches, and was a boring brown color. These larger maximas from PEA and LA are all wild caught, and have nothing to do with any aquaculture facility. The reason 99% of all wild caught clams are atleast 4 inches is because the laws of their natve countries do not allow collection of smaller sized clams. They barely even allow collection for our hobby and would rather sell them to the food industry.

Ok so i was mixed up i guess? Doesnt dr mac have a place that farms his clams?

Ok so i was mixed up i guess? Doesnt dr mac have a place that farms his clams?

Yes, PEA's smaller farmed clams are selected and placed in a protected area directly off their natural environment, still in their natural water. These are not aquacultured though ( raised in aquariums ). TRUE aquacultured clams are very hard to come by, but Live aquaria has them from time to time. Not in Divers den (Wisconsin ), but from their California facility.

jedimasterben

Yes, PEA's smaller farmed clams are selected and placed in a protected area directly off their natural environment, still in their natural water. These are not aquacultured though ( raised in aquariums ). TRUE aquacultured clams are very hard to come by, but Live aquaria has them from time to time. Not in Divers den (Wisconsin ), but from their California facility.

There are some in Divers Den occasionally - I believe my clam i got from them was labelled 'aquacultured'

I dont think I have ever seen an aquacultured clam on DD. Sure they post many "cultured" clams, but this is a blanket statement and carries little meaning.

jedimasterben

You'd be shocked how much water and glass trick your eyes into thinking things are far larger than they appear. If it is that large, then it could not be a maxima.

You'd be shocked how much water and glass trick your eyes into thinking things are far larger than they appear. If it is that large, then it could not be a maxima.

Its a Maxima, and I believe it lives in the Wikiki Aquarium in Hawaii. And its about 12 inches.

jedimasterben

Its a Maxima, and I believe it lives in the Wikiki Aquarium in Hawaii. And its about 12 inches.

If it is in a public place with as much notoriety as the Waikiki Aquarium, then it would be the largest recorded maxima specimen - but the maximum is still listed at 24cm.

At any rate, it's a friggin beaut!

If it is in a public place with as much notoriety as the Waikiki Aquarium, then it would be the largest recorded maxima specimen - but the maximum is still listed at 24cm.

At any rate, it's a friggin beaut!

I recognize that picture from one of my old books, but I dont have it anymore....and Im not even sure what book it was, but yaaaaa....thats a big kitty

:wub:

What do you mean you recognise the picture? I took that picture personally at my LFS.

It spent a few months in their tanks. I had another picture with my hand against it for size comparison.

What do you mean you recognise the picture? I took that picture personally at my LFS.

It spent a few months in their tanks. I had another picture with my hand against it for size comparison.

I can swear I have seen that pic in a book, nothing personal. Your LFS has a 20 inch Maxima ?

With all due respect - I doubt that. It would be a historical world record.

Definitely my picture. I never actually said it was a Maxima, I remembered you saying it was the first time I posted it.

It was enormous though.

jedimasterben

Again, it is probably the glass playing tricks on your eyes. Crocea reach around 5-6", Maxima around 8-9", Squamosa around 14-16", Derasa 20-24", Gigas 40-52".

Archived