Coral Vue Hydros

NEW PLS-50 Pipeless nano Skimmer Q&A

CAD-Aqua

famousdan314

I've had my pls-50 skimmer in my jbj-30 for a few months now and can say that it only gets better as it breaks in with time. The skimmer itself sits in my left overflow chamber in about 5" of water. I find that the tuning and adjustment is very touchy and once it's set i tighten the red knob and let it run. The only issue is every other time I remove the skim cup it seems to affect the skimming level and then I have to re adjust it. In all honesty It is the loudest piece of equipment on my setup, mainly from the hum of the pump and the gurgling sounds of the foam, but that's due to it sitting in an AIO tank and not in a sump behind cabinet doors. I am not a terribly picky person so its something I can live with since it does a very good job at pulling out all the nasties! All in all I'm very satisfied with the skimmer just wished I would have had better timing for the PLS-50 Elite!

Any suggestions? Thanks.

My only suggestion is to give it a little time to break in. You can also try taking it out, disassemble the pump and clean it good make sure you don't have any build up in the impeller area then put the pump back on. Regular maintenance on any pump is important and helps keep them quiet.

post-80254-0-62012700-1406010541_thumb.jpg

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only suggestion is to give it a little time to break in. You can also try taking it out, disassemble the pump and clean it good make sure you don't have any build up in the impeller area then put the pump back on. Regular maintenance on any pump is important and helps keep them quiet.

Thanks for the feedback Dan! I was actually hoping for some feedback from the CAD guys because they suggested it would quieten down within a week or so and now it has been 3 with no real improvement. It was noisy from the get go but I will pop it open and check out the pump like you suggest - it may have come with something in there already.

Hey GTi

Sorry for the late reply. we haven't been able to get on the forum this last week. everybody was working overtime in packing and QC-ing the PLS50 Elite and getting them ready for all the Pre-orders.

I think it may be good to also send you over one of the new PLS-50 pumps. it should solve your problem. call us or send a message over to Jason or Jeremy at customerservice@cadlights.com and we can coordinate the newer model pump to be sent to you.

Thanks Dave!

glad to hear the new pump worked out great for you. we have had some customers who had similar problems and turned out it was the pump over pumping. so basically it was producing 65-70G worth of foam.

Hi, Best

Here are the Specs of the PLS-50

Specs:

· Dimensions: 3.5" x 3.25" x 15"

· Speed: 190GPH

· Air Draw: 187LPH

· Noise emissions: 5dB over audible sound

· Aquarium Capacity: 10G to 50G

· 100% Cell-Cast acrylic

· easily disassembles in 3 pieces

· Built in Professional Bubble-Plate

· Lock knob for tension control and full lock

· sliding tank mount for higher or lower settings

· CAD Lights TIA Pro skimmer pumps

is there any way to keep the skimmer body on center? after ive tightened everything down the skimmer can still move and causes issues, wasnt sure if there is anything i should look at

Islandoftiki

Here are the Specs of the PLS-50

· Noise emissions: 5dB over audible sound

I'm very interested in this particular point as my Nuvo 30 sits next to our television, and my PLS-50 is a little bit on the loud side. I'm not sure that it has anything wrong with it, but it's noticeably noisier than the IM midsize skimmer that it replaced. That said, the PLS-50 wins on so many other levels, so I'm using it for now. I'd still like quieter operation.

So, maybe you can answer me this. The new PLS-50 Elite as you say is only 5db over audible. What does that mean exactly in dB? How does that compare to the old PLS-50 that I have. It's it noticeably quieter or is it similar? I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade, or will it really net me any improvement in noise level? The rest of the tank is darn near silent with the only noise makers being the powerheads (Jebao WP-10 and a Vortech MP-10) and the return pump with is a Sicce syncra 1.5, none of which make any noise that you can notice unless it's dead silent and you're standing right at the tank.

I think I'm being too picky, but if you think there is a noise level improvement for the newer skimmer model, I'm probably a player and will buy one. Of course, if there's not gain in quietness, I'm perfectly happy with my current PLS-50.

Thank you for your input.

Hey GTi

Sorry for the late reply. we haven't been able to get on the forum this last week. everybody was working overtime in packing and QC-ing the PLS50 Elite and getting them ready for all the Pre-orders.

I think it may be good to also send you over one of the new PLS-50 pumps. it should solve your problem. call us or send a message over to Jason or Jeremy at customerservice@cadlights.com and we can coordinate the newer model pump to be sent to you.

Thanks! I emailed you.

I'm very interested in this particular point as my Nuvo 30 sits next to our television, and my PLS-50 is a little bit on the loud side. I'm not sure that it has anything wrong with it, but it's noticeably noisier than the IM midsize skimmer that it replaced. That said, the PLS-50 wins on so many other levels, so I'm using it for now. I'd still like quieter operation.

So, maybe you can answer me this. The new PLS-50 Elite as you say is only 5db over audible. What does that mean exactly in dB? How does that compare to the old PLS-50 that I have. It's it noticeably quieter or is it similar? I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade, or will it really net me any improvement in noise level? The rest of the tank is darn near silent with the only noise makers being the powerheads (Jebao WP-10 and a Vortech MP-10) and the return pump with is a Sicce syncra 1.5, none of which make any noise that you can notice unless it's dead silent and you're standing right at the tank.

I think I'm being too picky, but if you think there is a noise level improvement for the newer skimmer model, I'm probably a player and will buy one. Of course, if there's not gain in quietness, I'm perfectly happy with my current PLS-50.

Thank you for your input.

Bd is short for decibel, which is the measurement of how loud sound is, my psl is very quiet most of the time hut does get loud sometimes, but its very quiet for me,

is there any way to keep the skimmer body on center? after ive tightened everything down the skimmer can still move and causes issues, wasnt sure if there is anything i should look at

What I've found works best for me is to push the body towards the bracket while adjusting it. That's pretty much centered. I also don't tighten down the red but very much. I just make sure it's snug.

What I've found works best for me is to push the body towards the bracket while adjusting it. That's pretty much centered. I also don't tighten down the red nut very much. I just make sure it's snug.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to setting up my skimmer (actually the first time I've ever ran a skimmer on a tank! :) ) and I have a couple of questions. It's been running for three days in a cadlight 8, initially I had it in 7 inches of water and it was pulling a light green skim and running ok. After reading some more I changed it to 5 inches and it's pulling a little darker but not much and maybe a little less in amount. I want the skimmer to work at it s peak perfomance but is the height really making that much of a difference or can i move it back down to 7" for a more esthetically pleasing tank.

My other questions is how far up is the foam supposed to go? Right now I have it set up to go halfway up the collection cup tube but in some people's pictures it looks like they have the foam going all the way up to the top of the collection cup plate? Thanks for the help!

(pictures added)

Hi, Pippa

when you have the PLS-50 higher, it tends to utilize more of its reaction chamber, which allows it to produce skimmate more efficiently. but even at the higher water level should work fine as it is a larger size skimmer for the 8G.

Hi, Pippa

a few drips here or there can be acceptable, but if you have a consistent leak or small "stream" type of leak is not. sometimes small leaks can happen around the red gasket if it isn't aligned straight when pushing the cup back into the body. you can try to apply a small amount of non-scented Vaseline on the red gasket on the collection cup and push back in place. the lubricant helps to allow the gasket to slide in place and stay straight much easier.

• 2 months later...

My PLS 50 is a great skimmer and I haven't had the issues I'm reading about here - mine is very quiet AND has never produced micro bubbles, BUT man is that thing touchy!! I feel like even now, after it's been running for months, I have to constantly check it and do readjustments, and those readjustments have to be the slightest of slight or the whole thing goes immediatley out of whack. I'm not overly interested in dishing out more $$ for the upgraded Elite right this second, but it may be something I keep in mind down the road if you can tell me - does the new Elite have a little LESS sensitivity/more of a set it and forget it kinda deal than it's predecessor?

Maybe I should add that I have it in a BioCube HQI (which was a chore in itself - don't believe the hype, it does NOT fit readily in the back of a Biocube without cutting your tops) but I don't know as the tank really matters that much as far as the sensitivity of this thing goes.

My PLS 50 is a great skimmer and I haven't had the issues I'm reading about here - mine is very quiet AND has never produced micro bubbles, BUT man is that thing touchy!! I feel like even now, after it's been running for months, I have to constantly check it and do readjustments, and those readjustments have to be the slightest of slight or the whole thing goes immediatley out of whack. I'm not overly interested in dishing out more $$ for the upgraded Elite right this second, but it may be something I keep in mind down the road if you can tell me - does the new Elite have a little LESS sensitivity/more of a set it and forget it kinda deal than it's predecessor?

Maybe I should add that I have it in a BioCube HQI (which was a chore in itself - don't believe the hype, it does NOT fit readily in the back of a Biocube without cutting your tops) but I don't know as the tank really matters that much as far as the sensitivity of this thing goes.

i had the same issue, it comes down to the connection points, vecause when it tight it can still move, ive found that if i wiggle the cup side to side, rather than front to back to remove it, it works alot better, plus i dont touch it at all, unless necessary.

Hi, Mazzy

Yes, the new PLS-50 Elite models are designed to resolve the extra sensitivity of the previous 50 model. they are larger in the reaction chamber, neck and overall 2-point locking system. the original 50 uses a single point (which is the tension knob on top). the Elite uses a 2 point on the base. its much more stable that way.

Thank you so much

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

stupid question. What will fit in a cadlights 8? I know most say you dont need a skimmer in a small tank just water changes. I am lazy the multi water change thing isnt practical do you make a skimmer that will work in a cadlights 8

Hi, Sancho and thanks Tron

That's correct the 8G Mini-2 is designed to work with the PLS-50 Elite. it fits perfectly inside the rear chambers of the 8G Mini aquarium.

Thanks

Scott

Archived