Pod Your Reef

NEW PLS-50 Pipeless nano Skimmer Q&A

CAD-Aqua

famousdan314
All good Dan, be patient... the micro bubbles are coming from under the drain plate as the skimmer is nowhere near being broken in, and the bacteria has yet to build up and create a perfect pressurized seal...

Having said that, once it does, you will see and know the difference, and when to start tuning it.

Be careful how you measure. Make sure you measure from the bottom of the pump, to the waterline... 5.5" to 6" is optimal.

I would just let the bubbles settle in the neck for several days, let it break in, and after 8-10 days you can start to do minor tweaks....

Good luck!

Thanks for the help Tron, I guess I'll just let it run with the micro bubbles and hope they clear up soon. I'll try to get an accurate measurement to adjust the height accordingly.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Everyone, I posted our full instruction booklet here for the PLS-50. Any questions you have, let me know.

CAD Lights Aquariums

1550 S. Milliken Ave Bldg. E

Ontario, CA, 91761

Office (909)605-1891 / Email: sales@cadlights.com

PLS-50 Nano Pipeless skimmer instructions

Congratulations on your purchase of the CAD Lights Aquariums™ PLS line of Pipeless protein skimmers These fine Protein skimmers offer many advanced and modern innovative design features originally designed by CAD Lights Aquariums such as the space saving Pipeless technology and full control tension locking features. Here are the set up instructions for the PLS-50 Nano skimmer.

Features:

1. Silent design
  2. CAD Lights Patent Pending Pipeless skimmer technology.
  3. Professional internal Bubble-Plate (Turbulence control)
  4. 10G-50G Capacity (with respective live stock loads)
  5. 100% Cell-Cast acrylic
  6. Hand-made quality craftsmanship
  7. Tension lock and full locking
  8. Pin-wheel air injection Venturi
  9. Slide mount
  10. Removable collection cup
  11. 187GPH pump
  12. 1 year manufacturer warranty

Installation:

1. Take the 187GPH Pin-wheel air injection pump and screw the male outflow adapter into the female threaded fitting located on the bottom of the PLS-50 skimmer base.
  2. Screw in pump as far as you can go with the intake hole of the pump facing the opposite side of the Tension-lock knob (Red flower knob). Its ok to leave some thread left for turning the pump left to right.
  3. Slide in the 100% Silicone air tube from hole located on top of the skimmer base mount (behind skimmer in the upper area) and through the bottom corresponding hole located on bottom of base. Then attach the hose onto the nipple of the intake fitting of the pump (Black funnel shaped adapter)
  4. Take the air silencer (Clear acrylic cylinder with 2 tubes in its interior) and slip the air hose over one of the holes, it doesn’t matter which hole you attach to.

Directions for use of PLS-50 Nano pipeless skimmer
  1. Now that the PLS-50 is all assembled, you can now fit it into your filter chambers. The range of water level to use the PLS-50 is 5”-8” and the Optimal level is 5”.
  2. Before putting the PLS-50 into water, make sure both the drain holes are aligned and that it is at maximum opening. Loosen slightly the Control knob (Red flower knob) and you can turn the skimmer body left or right to open and close the drain holes. This is the motion you need to do later to adjust the skimming and foam level. Practice outside of tank if necessary to get more familiar with this turning adjustment.
  3. Both drain holes now should be aligned and at maximum opening. Pre-fit the skimmer in the back chambers and adjust the tank mount as necessary to the operating height of your choice. Loosen or tighten the black thumbscrews as needed to slide the mount up or down.
  4. Loosen the red control knob (Tension lock) so there is an ease of motion as you turn the skimmer body to the left and right. Make sure the drain holes all align to maximum opening prior to plugging in the pump.
  5. Now you may plug in the 187GPH Pin-wheel skimmer pump.
  6. Let it run for at least a minute until you start to adjust.
  7. Now loosen the Red control knob so that you have a nice smooth motion where you can freely turn the skimmer body holding either the base of the collection cup or the “Collar” of the skimmer’s upper body. Turn counter-clockwise to raise the foam and turn clockwise to lower the foam and adjust to your desired level. Once you have reached your desired foaming level, you can lock the adjustment by tightening the Red control knob (tighten where the knob’s white circular disc touches the collar should be fine). Avoid tightening too much or all the way; you only need it to be tight enough for it to hold the setting. Over tightening can possibly tilt the body slightly and throw off your setting and leak out micro-bubbles in between the bottom plates.
  8. Each time you adjust the skimmer, make sure to loosen the tension lock first to get minimal restricted motion on the body.

BREAK IN Period: this is the time it takes for the new pump and skimmer to loosen, equalize and balance itself into your tank and its chemistry. The average break in period is typically 3-7 days. During this period, the skimming level can be either too high or too low. You can make slight adjustments to it as needed. Once the PLS-50 has fully broken in with your water is when it will hold more consistent.

Maintenance:

1. To empty out the collected Protein (DOCs organic waste), you gently pull the collection cup upward and it will disconnect with the skimmer body. Empty or clean as you wish and push back into the skimmer body.
  2. Once in a while it is recommended to give the PLS-50 a complete cleaning. To do this, the skimmer takes apart in 4 pieces. The collection cup comes off as shown above #1, the skimmer body can be disassembled by removing the Control knob (Red flower knob) and simply pull upward to separate from base, the pump unscrews off of the bottom and the center bracket will remain.
  3. Clean under warm water or diluted Vinegar (For soaking). Then assemble and place back into filter chambers for use.

Hi, Bonsaidarrell

Here you go. any questions you have, please let me know.

CAD Lights Aquariums

1550 S. Milliken Ave Bldg. E

Ontario, CA, 91761

Office (909)605-1891 / Email: sales@cadlights.com

Gen3 PLS-100 Pipe-less protein skimmer

Congratulations on your purchase of the first and most innovative True Pipe-Less Protein skimmer from CAD Lights Aquariums™ line of high performance protein skimmers. These fine protein skimmers offer many of the advanced and modern skimmer design features. Here are the set up instructions for the PLS-100.

Features:

1. Silent design
  2. Built-in tension locks
  3. Extreme space saving Pipe-less design.
  4. Flexi-Plastic mold injected needle wheel impeller
  5. High air draw
  6. Energy efficiency
  7. Highest quality materials using 100% Cast Acrylic for the skimmer body
  8. Seamless liquid extruded molded skimmer body
  9. Ease of pressure and foaming adjustment
  10. 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty.

Check list:

1. Top skimmer body
  1. Red Flower tension lock, secondary tension lock
  1. Waste collector cup

(1) Bottom base skimmer body

1. TIA-1150 silent skimmer pump w/sliding stabilizing plate
  1. Flexi-Plastic mold injected needle wheel impeller
  1. Air intake nozzle (black)
  1. PVC adapter (connects air intake nozzle to pump)
  1. Removable Skimmer base plate with 4 black plastic thumbscrews

Installation:

1. The CAD Lights Aquariums™ PLS-100 protein skimmers come already fully assembled in the box with only a few small parts that are not connected for shipping safety.
  2. Set the PLS-100 skimmer on a flat surface such as a table or the floor.
  3. Take the air intake nozzle (black) and connect it into the PVC adapter, which is connected to the pump.
  4. Slide air tube through the 2 drilled holes. The upper holds the ai silencer and the bottom hole slides through to connect to the Volute (Black funnel piece) that is connected to the pump.
  5. Check to make sure all the parts are pushed in place and fastened
  6. You may now put the PLS-100 Pipeless skimmer into your sump
  7. Read the next section “starting up and settings” before plugging in the Protein skimmer
  8. Operating water level is 5”-10”, Optimal water level is 6”. If your water level is too high, you may also raise the skimmer up by propping something solid and leveled underneath it.

Starting up and settings

1. Before you plug in the PLS-100 protein skimmer, make sure the 2 drain holes match and are right on top of each other. When both holes aligned correctly, you should see 2 fully opened holes.
  2. Loosen both the Red flower knob and secondary tension lock, so you can freely turn upper skimmer body.
  3. Make sure the suction cups on the bottom base plate are securely sucked onto the bottom of your sump.
  4. Now you may plug in the PLS-100 protein skimmer pump
  5. When water is pumped into the skimmer body, wait until the water pressure has stabilized and is not moving upwards or downwards (this may take a minute or two).
  6. “Righty tighty, Lefty loosy” Unique Pipeless 1-step complete control system. Once the pressure has stabilized, you may now gently turn the top skimmer body counter clockwise (Close) or clockwise (Open). The main idea is when you turn the skimmer body the holes will enlarge or shrink down. This controls your pressure to go up and down.
  7. Every turn you make on the skimmer body adjustment should be around 1/8” to ¼” turn with a maximum turn of ½”, and each turn needs a slight buffing period so that the water pressure can catch up to the new setting. Buffing periods in between adjustments vary depending on your water chemistry and waste level in the aquarium.
  8. The optimal level to be at is when the foam level is around slightly lower than half of the collection cups reaction tube (the slimmer tube inside the collection cup)

Maintenance and care

1. The PLS-100 Pipeless protein skimmer can easily be taken apart and disassembled for maintenance and repair.
  2. Unscrew both the Red flower knob and secondary tension lock. The Top skimmer body can be removed easily by just turning gently and pulling at the same time.
  3. Undo the suction cups on the bottom base, and you can remove from sump
  4. Uuplug the skimmer pump, remove from sump and drain water out.
  5. Remove the slip-in air intake nozzle
  6. Remove the Volute (black funnel shaped) connector from the pump
  7. With the pump now removed, you can wash the pump or do any other maintenance required
  8. To access the Flexi-Plastic needle wheel impeller, you twist the pump cap off and slide the impeller and magnet out.
  9. After maintenance you put everything back together by reversing the steps above.

Break-in period

Breaking in your new PLS-100 skimmer can take an average of 3-10 days for the skimmer to equalize with the tanks chemistry and pressure. Some instances the skimmer can break in faster than others.

• 4 weeks later...

i just got my new pls 50 in the mail today and took it for a test drive, the only thing is the pump seams to be only producing larger bubbles, will this go away after the break in period?

Islandoftiki

I could be wrong, but I don't imagine it would work properly in brackish.

For what it's worth, I broke my skimmer in before putting it on my tank by running it in a 5 gallon bucket with a chunk of live rock, a heater, powerhead and added food to the water to give it something to skim out. Worked great, only took it 12 hours to start putting out good skimmate after I put it in my tank.

You could try running it in a bucket of 1.026 SG water.

ill have to consider that, i know skimmers wont work in fresh, but i wasnt sure if the size of the bubbles would be the same

SouthFlorida_Tron

Ya I noticed two things, something isn't chemically balanced in the water lol... The other is that the skimmer is at an angle.

Ya I noticed two things, something isn't chemically balanced in the water lol... The other is that the skimmer is at an angle.

The tank its in now is brackish with an SG of 1.005, plus itll never be tje same chemically as a saltwater tank, thats the most level I could get it with the rim on the tank

The skimmer wont work in freshwater or brackish. the specific gravity and density of fresh or brackish water is too low to actually produce the same type of thicker foam that is produced in saltwater. if the salinity or specific gravity is around 1.012-1.025 should be fine. the lower the salt, the longer it typically takes to build up foam.

Thanks for your post tetraodon. if you put the PLS-50 into saltwater, it should produce the fine bubbles nicely. make sure not to have the tension lock knob on too tight while you are doing the initial settings.

Thanks so much

Scott

Ahanix, I've been looking to replace my stock Solana skimmer and looks like with a little DIY work you were able to get the PLS-50 in the stock skimmer chamber. Does it sit flush with the top of the tank? How's it working for you so far?

Sorry dude, I ended up having issues with the skimmer and pulled it. Not saying it won't work, but I could never get it to the point it needed to be without it either being super loud or having adjustment issues.

Thanks! guess i'll stick with the stock skimmer for now, it does an okay job, i have a tunze 9002 that i hear fits back there too so if i get the opportunity i might give that one a try at some point

Is it possible to purchase a replacement collection cup for the PLS-50? I emailed customer service a week ago and haven't gotten a response.

I just got one (pls-50) and just plugged it in, but im getting LOTs of bubbles escaping the bottom of the chamber where the holes match up. does this go away after a while?

Islandoftiki

I just got one (pls-50) and just plugged it in, but im getting LOTs of bubbles escaping the bottom of the chamber where the holes match up. does this go away after a while?

Yes. Your skimmer needs to break in. It will take at least a couple days to a week or more.

This is normal for pretty much all skimmers.

cool thanks Islandoftiki, i read here how most people sounded like they just dropped it in and it went right to work, and i kinda got all hyped up about it. guess im ok then. i cant wait for it to break in tho. need some gunk outta my tank!

Islandoftiki

cool thanks Islandoftiki, i read here how most people sounded like they just dropped it in and it went right to work, and i kinda got all hyped up about it. guess im ok then. i cant wait for it to break in tho. need some gunk outta my tank!

My skimmer was more or less ready to go when it hit the tank, but I broke it in in a 5 gallon bucket of dirty aquarium water from my 25 gallon soft coral tank. I had a heater, powerhead, live rock and a pile of fish food and other added nutrients ready to be skimmed out. The PLS-50 ran in the bucket for a week before I swapped out my Innovative Marine skimmer for the PLS-50. The PLS-50 started producing after about 24 hours and has been getting better and better ever since. It just takes time for the bio-films to build up inside the fresh new plastic parts. If you haven't run a skimmer before, it takes a little time to get used to tweaking it. After you've experienced the break-in process, you'll pretty much have the basic knowledge of what to expect and how to tune most skimmers. They all work on the same basic principle.

Archived