Top Shelf Aquatics

NEW PLS-50 Pipeless nano Skimmer Q&A

CAD-Aqua

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't get a chance to order last night. Gonna do the MarineDepot thing still. It's gonna get real busy around my house next week putting in a nedw kitchen ($14K of cabinets) but I might need a break from the hard work and will spend some time trying to retrofit this to my bc29.

Heads up ;)

I shouldn't necessarily put an "It fits marker out there. I did have to sand some off the bottom edge, and I did also sand the back of it a little bit, but it slides in an out easily. I just need to figure out what I can use to raise the skimmer out of the water enough. Super excited though!

g1IXkDpl.jpg

Hi, Ahanix

Thank you for the update and picture. as long as the holes and turning body isn't restricted, then the PLS-50 should work fine. try to make sure the water level is consistent so that the skimmer can run at the most stable.

Any questions, feel free to let me know.

Hi, Hersheyb

we redesigned this years 8G Mini-II to fit the PLS-50 and the NR-1. last years 8G Mini can only hold the NR-1.

Thanks so much

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, FamousDan

Many customers have actually removed the rear tank mount and then made a stand to support the skimmer using its bottom suction cups for stabilization like the larger PLS-100. the bottom suction cups of the PLS-50 is used the same way as the larger PLS skimmers. any smooth surface that the PLS-50's suction cups can grip onto is fine.

Thanks so much

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
ClownTriggerDude

Thanks buddy. It now comes down to this Cad or the Bubble Magus E3. I like the quality, adjustability, construction, and great reviews of the Cad. Plus, it's $60 less than the BM.

The Cad sits in the BioCubes filtration, whereas the BM hangs on the back of the tank.

Hey Scott, can you discuss the differences between the two ?

I would appreciate it !

Also, can the 100 series be used and fit in the Oceanic 29g ?

Thank you,

Kevin

ClownTriggerDude
Not sure if anyone else has seen this that is interested in purchasing one of these like I will tonight. Petstore.com has this basically for hte same price but they ship for free. So if you call MarineDepot and let them know they should honor that price plus 10% more refund? I will call them tonight to check this out.

----

I just went to Petstore. Com and says it's been discontinued.

Why is that ?

http://www.petstore.com/cad-lights-pipeless-protein-skimmer

Hey Clowntriggerdude

Thanks for posting. im not familiar with the BM skimmer. but our Patented Pipeless skimmer line uses our newest to ensure the smallest footprint that's possible while giving all of the high performance features like the Internal bubble plate, Pin-wheel impeller, air injected venture, 100% Cell-cast acrylic etc. the PLS-50 originally was actually designed as a 50G protein skimmer. but with its small size, we decided to add a rear mount and use as a Nano skimmer. im really glad many people like it.

The PLS-100 listed on the link you mentioned above was for our previous Gen-2 PLS-100 that one has been already discontinued since the Gen-3 came out 3 months ago. the new Gen-3 is exactly the same as the Gen-2 except the Gen 3 now uses a slightly larger reaction chamber and comes with built-in tension locks as well as a maximum and minimum turn stop locks.

I don't think the PLS-100 would fit for the BC29. the PLS-100 is a very heavy duty skimmer and the Gen-3 can easily handle a 100G tank. may not be necessary to have that much skimming for a 29G. the PLS-50 would be the best choice I believe.

Thanks so much

Scott

ClownTriggerDude

Hi Scott,

I'm a believer in stepping up one size for what a skimmer is made for, so your 50 is just fine for my 29g, especially since I won't be utilizing a sump on this tank, so there's not any increase in total water volume.

Do you have a upcoming sale with the skimmer ?

Thank you for your input Clowntriggerdude.

We tried a few different cone shapes, but it wasted too much space as we wanted to make it an "in chamber" design rather than in sump. so we increased the width and height of a straight body to make the current PLS-50.

Thanks

Scott

Quick question for you Scott, when using the PLS-50 in a sump, should I set it to be turned off when I turn off the return pump and the water level rises, or should I let it continue to run? I'm new to the whole skimmer business. I'm assuming I'll want to turn it off, but wanted to check and make sure.

ClownTriggerDude

Scott, you and fellow reefaholic's,... have me sold on your skimmer, so now I can order the media basket and the PLS-50 !

How can a 51 yr. Old man be so excited to buy a fish waste disposal unit ?

Kevin

Hey Clowntriggerdude

Congratulations on choosing the PLS-50!

Don't worry, you aren't the only one, we get pretty excited about foam fractionating as well haha. when the first prototype PLS-50 broke in, pulled out 1 cup of skimmate, foamed up and down while turning the tiny pipeless body, low noise, correct sized bubbles, and no micro's leaking out it was as if we landed on the moon LOL.

Heads up ;)

I shouldn't necessarily put an "It fits marker out there. I did have to sand some off the bottom edge, and I did also sand the back of it a little bit, but it slides in an out easily. I just need to figure out what I can use to raise the skimmer out of the water enough. Super excited though!

g1IXkDpl.jpg

Ahanix, I've been looking to replace my stock Solana skimmer and looks like with a little DIY work you were able to get the PLS-50 in the stock skimmer chamber. Does it sit flush with the top of the tank? How's it working for you so far?

famousdan314

Hey Guys, I just purchased the PlS-50 and have it placed in the left return chamber. I have to measure but would guess it's roughly sitting 5" deep from the water level. I made the adjustment to get the correct rate of foam however I am getting a significant amount of micro bubbles in my display. Any suggestions to check if I have a leak somewhere, I didn't receive an instruction manual so I referenced the YouTube videos when setting up.

SouthFlorida_Tron

All good Dan, be patient... the micro bubbles are coming from under the drain plate as the skimmer is nowhere near being broken in, and the bacteria has yet to build up and create a perfect pressurized seal...

Having said that, once it does, you will see and know the difference, and when to start tuning it.

Be careful how you measure. Make sure you measure from the bottom of the pump, to the waterline... 5.5" to 6" is optimal.

I would just let the bubbles settle in the neck for several days, let it break in, and after 8-10 days you can start to do minor tweaks....

Good luck!

Archived