Top Shelf Aquatics

San Diego Tidal Biotope

woogiekids

This forum seems to have a good number of temperate tanks, so I thought I would share. :)

The tank is a 30G (I think, I just stole it from the garage collection), and the chiller is keeping it at 68 degrees. Since my focus is on San Diego tidal pool areas, this should be low enough.

All specimens were hand collected by myself (legally) from the flume at Scripps Pier. Creatures get flushed into the 400+ foot flume that brings water into the Institute. The creatures inside are scraped out every few months, but in the meantime my wonderful friend who is a scientist there is allowed to collect there and share. smile.gif It's quite the experience collecting for yourself, and my kids sure get a kick out of it!

Here's a few pics. There are no fish currently, nor do I know if there will ever be any. Maybe a blenny or a goby. The intent was to move Kermit my Pacific Bimac in there when he outgrows the nursery, but now I don't want him to upset the ecosystem I'm creating, lol. He may get his own tank. smile.gif

Here are some pics. It is lightly stocked at this point, but the diversity that is cropping up is amazing. Everything is doing wonderfully from the seastars to the algae.

Collecting

null_zps370bfce8.jpg

null_zpsed64167c.jpg

The tank

IMG_0377_zpsc0bae788.jpg

IMG_0385_zps2d3682dc.jpg

IMG_0400_zps3f9a8af5.jpg

IMG_0375_zps7dc787e2.jpg

IMG_0387_zps7dc214f2.jpg

IMG_0358_zps7c44f23e.jpg

http://s793.photobucket.com/user/alissa190/media/2013/IMG_0361_zps0e1ae2fa.jpg.html'>IMG_0361_zps0e1ae2fa.jpg

AFellowReefer

Very nice! I always have wanted to make a tide pool biotope, but have not gotten around to that one yet...

AquaticEngineer

Insane nudis! Really cool, do you know the diets of any of them?

Hermissenda crassicornis:It is one of the most abundant nudibranchs in Califonia. It eats hydroids, but the diet also includes small sea anemones, bryozoans, colonial ascidians (Aplidium solidum, botryllids), annelids, small crustacea, tiny clams, dead animals of any sort. Will eat other Hermissenda. In the Puget Sound, Hermissenda is the main predator of the sea pen Ptilosarcus gurneyi. Mating animals are most often found in southern California in winter, but are found year around in the Puget Sound (Washington). The egg string resembles linked pink sausages. They are commonly attached to algae and to blades of eelgrass. Each egg case usually contains one egg, but can contain up to four. Many studies have been carried out on Hermissenda, but the main area of focus is the eye. It has five cells, each about 75 um in diameter, which are large enough to receive a recording electrode. Within the cells it is suspected of containing symbiotic fungi. Hermissenda is an aggressive creature. When two individuals encounter fights will break out, which involves lunging and biting. Encounters most likely to induce a fight are those of mutual head on contact. The individual whose head is closest to the others tail or side will usually get the first bite in, this also means that they usually come out the winner. The copepod Hemicyclops thysanotus is often found adhering to the dorsal surface of Hermissenda.

AquaticEngineer

That sounds badass

I can imagine: Nudi gladiators lol

If you like that, you'd love having a California Navanax ;) Mine is the whole reason I set up a nano coldwater tank :D

llama roadkill
If you like that, you'd love having a California Navanax ;) Mine is the whole reason I set up a nano coldwater tank :D

Neat slug! Do you have pics?

Polarcollision

How do you keep the opalescent nudi from the power head? Mine bit it... They mostly eat aggregating nems in puget sound, btw.

P.S. Check out my thread - I just posted a ton of pics from my temperate aquarium

Reef Fever

very cool! I always have adored these little tidepool sculpins down there, would love to see one in your tank!

tp60110056ccSmall.jpg?a=20

Blubbernaut

very cool! I always have adored these little tidepool sculpins down there, would love to see one in your tank!

tp60110056ccSmall.jpg?a=20

+1 or spiny sculpin.

llama roadkill
Neat slug! Do you have pics?Got a video of him eating :) Hoping to have a few more coming in early next week for sale :Dhttp://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/Stuwobbe/WP_20130607_017_zpsf675b2e1.mp4'>http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/Stuwobbe/WP_20130607_017_zpsf675b2e1.mp4

Awesome! Couple questions...

1. What did you feed him?

2. Is the little fish in the back jumping around when you first put the food in a sculpin?

AquaticEngineer

Awesome! Couple questions... 1. What did you feed him? 2. Is the little fish in the back jumping around when you first put the food in a sculpin?

Been feeding him common periwinkles and turban snails. I just pull the snail out of its shell and put it on a skewer then put it front of the Navanax.

The little fish in the background is a baby Buffalo Sculpin :)

llama roadkill

Been feeding him common periwinkles and turban snails. I just pull the snail out of its shell and put it on a skewer then put it front of the Navanax.

The little fish in the background is a baby Buffalo Sculpin :)

Cool! What temp do you keep the water at?

AquaticEngineer

Cool! What temp do you keep the water at?

That tank fluctuates quite a bit with the thinner acrylic and smaller chiller, it stays about 10-12 degrees below room temp which has been between 55 and 67 as of recently. I'm thinking about going to a bigger chiller instead of the small chill works one I've been using so that it keeps a more constant temperature.

llama roadkill
That tank fluctuates quite a bit with the thinner acrylic and smaller chiller, it stays about 10-12 degrees below room temp which has been between 55 and 67 as of recently. I'm thinking about going to a bigger chiller instead of the small chill works one I've been using so that it keeps a more constant temperature.

Wow. I assume a larger coldwater tank (like 75 or 125) would have a couple thousand dollar chiller to keep the temp down. Do you sell Sarcastic Fringeheads? Not looking at buying any, but they are very cool fish.

AquaticEngineer

Wow. I assume a larger coldwater tank (like 75 or 125) would have a couple thousand dollar chiller to keep the temp down. Do you sell Sarcastic Fringeheads? Not looking at buying any, but they are very cool fish.

We do :) Haven't brought in any of the Sarcastic since they get so big but we regularly bring in smaller Fringeheads like the Onespot and Yellowfin.

If you go with thicker acrylic on the big tank you can easily chill it with a 1/2 HP chiller and those you can buy brand new for $300 - $400 depending on the brand.

llama roadkill
We do :) Haven't brought in any of the Sarcastic since they get so big but we regularly bring in smaller Fringeheads like the Onespot and Yellowfin.

If you go with thicker acrylic on the big tank you can easily chill it with a 1/2 HP chiller and those you can buy brand new for $300 - $400 depending on the brand.

I love Sarcastics!

I plan on glass, so sadly I can't use that type of chiller. I may not even need one. I live in Florida, but if I run fans I may be able to keep the tank at about 78-80F.

Being a former San Diegan I enjoy this tank quite a bit. I lived by Sunset Cliffs and spent lots of time tide pooling there and loving it. Its where I first started entertaining the idea of a native tank. It only took me 16 years lol.

Archived