Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mortality rate of young clams

justin carnecchia

justin carnecchia

hi, I was at my lfs today and they had gotten in five or so small cultured maximas. Two were gold, and the rest were really nice blues. All were under two inches long, I've never seen them that small, they were really very cute. Price was also quite reasonable, but I seem to recall reading that small maximas, especially cultured blue ones, have a very high mortality rate and typically only live a few months.

Is this true? what success rate have people here had with young maximas? I'd hate to buy one just to know it's going to die, but they were really nice looking clams.

They have the highest mortality rate than any other species/size clams. So much so that to quote James Fatheree in his book of Giant clams - " They have such a high mortality rate that I wont even buy them anymore". And this is the guy that wrote the book on clams.

But in all fairness, I have seen sucess with these small maximas. I describe success as growing and lasting longer than 1 year. The key really seams to be higher disolved organics in your water. Something we have always tried so hard to reduce.

These two are as small as they come. The one on the right is about 1 inch. So far so good.

hm0h.jpg

justin carnecchia

Thanks Zeph, that's the quote I remember. Since I have a nice sized favia I'm going to try to trade in next week maybe I'll give it a go. If I can get it to live a year that's not too bad.

Now I'm curious what the life expectancy of maximas and croceas is in general? Is a year a good run? Are people regularly keeping either of these species for longer periods?

How would one increase doc? Don't skim? No chemical media?

I dont run carbon anymore and that has helped . I also turn off the phosphate reactor every other week. on one week, off the next. That and reduced water changes have really helped my clams.

Thanks Zeph, that's the quote I remember. Since I have a nice sized favia I'm going to try to trade in next week maybe I'll give it a go. If I can get it to live a year that's not too bad.

Now I'm curious what the life expectancy of maximas and croceas is in general? Is a year a good run? Are people regularly keeping either of these species for longer periods?

1 year is the fine line between success and failure, but .Ive seen maximas live 5-6 years in aquaria. Maxi's and croceas have alife span of about 10 years. Gigas clams live th elongest, I have heard rumore of 100 years but I cant believe it.

Archived