SaltCritters.com

TV Show Tanked learns a hard lesson from hasty fish stocking!

lifebidesign

Do you think that these bioballs have an established biofilter? If they are taken from a holding tank where bacteria is allowed to become established, then I understand why this works.

It's a good question, I will try and remember to ask them in late August. I don't think they ever show this on the show, much less the filtration in general.

I'm no super chemistry pro guy but I would think the bacteria in the bottle would help in those porous areas quickly. When setting up a reactor with biopellets the directions state to use a bottle of bacteria.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AFellowReefer

I have never seen tanked on Animal Planet as I think the station has just gone down the tubes. It used to be quite informative, now it is just cheap reality TV about animals. However I have seen another similar program called fish tank kings. I find the show quite mindless and staged (like all reality TV) and do have a problem with that program. It is unfortunate that the sharks died or were injured though.

Do you think that these bioballs have an established biofilter? If they are taken from a holding tank where bacteria is allowed to become established, then I understand why this works.

I can guarantee you that those are not established bio balls. Remember your bacteria grows every were in the system. The Bio Balls are just a place for the bacteria to grow that should never be disturbed. The whole wet dry idea is, that the balls provide a large amount of surface area for the bacteria to grow. On top of that the process is much more efficient in a wet dry because the balls are out of water.

I have built 5 complete setups with Microbacter 7......no cycle....have added fish instantly, and have never had any issues. No algae issues, no fish dying issues....nothing. This says a lot compared to half of the people on this forum that do things "the right way" and have horrible looking setups.

NBR3_zpsc0bb7719.jpg

December2012071_zpsd3c5b9f7.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

All pics taken with iPhones over the years...just sayin'.

Why is this topic still going? They are professionals...they make tons of money at what they do...i've seen some of their tanks in person, and you don't see everything that happens on TV. "Oh we have to have this done in 2 weeks".....yeah, it's just for TV. It's bullshit and they don't really have that short of a time frame. Stop being immature "know-it-alls".

Blubbernaut

Why is this topic still going? They are professionals...they make tons of money at what they do...i've seen some of their tanks in person, and you don't see everything that happens on TV. "Oh we have to have this done in 2 weeks".....yeah, it's just for TV. It's bullshit and they don't really have that short of a time frame. Stop being immature "know-it-alls".

...You mad?

Actually saw the show for the first time. Regardless of whether people want to validate their experience/expertise, etc., having actually WATCHED it, I have no idea why anyone would. The awful one-liners, the faux-banter and 'unscripted' conversations. I mean, I stay away from TV for just this reason, but my god what a horrible show. If I really want to look at aquariums, fish, etc. digitally, there are so many high quality videos constantly being posted on Youtube, etc., - if I want to see a bunch of overpaid, awful actors, pretending to be a 'reality' show, I'll watch this show again.

I retract all statements. My apologies for being judgemental. I wish the best to ATM and love what they do for our hobby.

I retract all statements. My apologies for being judgemental. I wish the best to ATM and love what they do for our hobby.

:(

GHill762 posted it on page 5. The Blacktip shark was just there for the reveal; however, the Smoothhound (that was supposed to be housed in the tank) died. It's good to see their side of it.

I've lost a few fish too (an anemone eating a Goby, a couple of jumpers, Ich, etc). Their deaths were nothing intentional or blatantly irresponsible, but arguably still preventable. Luckily I didn't have an audience scrutinizing my mistakes.

I'm not sure if the death of the shark is fully understood. Sounds like owner of Applebees thought that the sharks were moved in too quickly; but I'm not sure if this individual has any experience with sharks or not.

Ha ok so I didnt peruse -all- the thread lol

If anyone filmed the amount of live rock Ive totally wasted in the name of universal algae prevention back in the day that would be a guilty mistake. We are pretty much all equal, and would do this job and the show for a living if given the chance.

My cable doesn't get the channel with fish tank kings is that any better I wonder

We need a professionally produced youtube series for nr.com with experts like RHF and Adam Blandell and stuff for commentary. Every few segments we do something called a web reveal, and a known poster off the sites gets bio'd for a sec on the show. Starting with metro kat.

You flash their avatar full screen, have some complextro music dubstep lead in, then bam

Mr sw aquarium has shown the market is good for a tech show on the web

VegasFishGirl

I work in the fish industry in Vegas, go to the ATM store occasionally, and have a buddy who works for ATM. Few weeks back I was looking at a gorgeous hippo tang for a client and was told it was there for an episode and if it made it back it would be for sale. I asked when it would be back and the person working just said it won't be, almost all the fish always die. I asked my friend who works their and he agreed. I actually googled Tanked today to see if anyone talks about this because I can't believe that Animal Planet is okay with the killing of all these fish. x_x

Edit to add... I had never really watched the show, knew these guys years ago and had no interest in it.

I work in the fish industry in Vegas, go to the ATM store occasionally, and have a buddy who works for ATM. Few weeks back I was looking at a gorgeous hippo tang for a client and was told it was there for an episode and if it made it back it would be for sale. I asked when it would be back and the person working just said it won't be, almost all the fish always die. I asked my friend who works their and he agreed. I actually googled Tanked today to see if anyone talks about this because I can't believe that Animal Planet is okay with the killing of all these fish. x_x

Animal Planet, or the parent company, only cares about ratings/money.

VegasFishGirl

Animal Planet, or the parent company, only cares about ratings/money.

I understand they need and want good ratings/money but they should care more about the welfare of the animals appearing on their shows. It's just disappointing.

I understand they need and want good ratings/money but they should care more about the welfare of the animals appearing on their shows. It's just disappointing.

Hhhmmm potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars of earned revenue multiplied by years in business, or a few bucks and wasted man hours on a fish? It's not realistic.

Archived