Pod Your Reef

TV Show Tanked learns a hard lesson from hasty fish stocking!

lifebidesign

These tanks are built for people who'd like a water feature, not hobbyists. I highly doubt they care what goes in to it, and that extends to the general viewing public. If you cater to idiots, what you're doing will generally be idiotic. I'll cut the guys some slack on that note. If you're offended because the show sends the wrong message to new fish folk, they'd also have to be idiots to take it with out a grain of salt. Really nothing more to be said in my eyes.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These tanks are built for people who'd like a water feature, not hobbyists. I highly doubt they care what goes in to it, and that extends to the general viewing public. If you cater to idiots, what you're doing will generally be idiotic. I'll cut the guys some slack on that note. If you're offended because the show sends the wrong message to new fish folk, they'd also have to be idiots to take it with out a grain of salt. Really nothing more to be said in my eyes.

They are idiots... And many do take it to be complete information.... See I can do it too!! :-D Making up of the statseses....

I watched an episode of TFK last night where they redid the rainforest cafe one and they were potrayed as getting pissed off that the owner actually wanted it to look real and normal. He refused to let them put bright blue barnacles in the tank. Also, fake corals are not going to last and will turn the brown you see in the rainforest cafe tanks eventually... I wonder if that is discussed... The color it is when its put in initially =/ the color it will stay.

oldSWseamomma

They are idiots... And many do take it to be complete information.... See I can do it too!! :-D Making up of the statseses....

I watched an episode of TFK last night where they redid the rainforest cafe one and they were potrayed as getting pissed off that the owner actually wanted it to look real and normal. He refused to let them put bright blue barnacles in the tank. Also, fake corals are not going to last and will turn the brown you see in the rainforest cafe tanks eventually... I wonder if that is discussed... The color it is when its put in initially =/ the color it will stay.

I do agree about the fake corals - so awful ! I'm sure they use those for the people who want the coral "look" and don't have the brains or the patience to use real ones. I have to admit I am intimidated still about having corals but am taking it slow with putting them in my tank which is mostly a FOWLR. But at the very least they could be more realisic in making these fake ones :mellow: With all the products and technology out there you would think they could come up with something that is safe and realistic.

I do agree about the fake corals - so awful ! I'm sure they use those for the people who want the coral "look" and don't have the brains or the patience to use real ones. I have to admit I am intimidated still about having corals but am taking it slow with putting them in my tank which is mostly a FOWLR. But at the very least they could be more realisic in making these fake ones :mellow: With all the products and technology out there you would think they could come up with something that is safe and realistic.

They showed how they made new ones that are more realistic. I liked the sponge they made. And I completely have no problem with people putting fake coral in their tank. My wife, though, even looked at some of the stuff they've done and went "man this looks like a gumball machine.. how terrible"... Love my art minor wife :-D

Some of you are arguing that "people make mistakes". The problem is, these guys prob know better or at the very least don't learn from their mistakes. Also, they don't just mess up every "once and awhile", many of their tanks are disasters.

The gumball tank, filled with tons of fish then it overheated from the desert weather and killed all the fish.

The telephone booth tank, 8 foot tall and surface area 1/4 its actual volume crammed with fish, torn down and sold.

Jukebox tank, removed.

Remember the skate board tank? Do you REALLY think its smart to be skateboarding on a aquarium? It's going to stress the fish from all the movement/loud banging, not to mention scratch the hell out of it.

Cowfish tank, death.

It doesn't take rocket surgery to notice the stocking and shapes/placement/fish choices in some of these aquariums and know it is doomed.

They have great creativity and the know-how to build something unique that holds water, it would be interesting to see someone contract them to build a practical reef aquarium and not use them for fish/coral stocking.

Some of you are arguing that "people make mistakes". The problem is, these guys prob know better or at the very least don't learn from their mistakes. Also, they don't just mess up every "once and awhile", many of their tanks are disasters.

The gumball tank, filled with tons of fish then it overheated from the desert weather and killed all the fish.

The telephone booth tank, 8 foot tall and surface area 1/4 its actual volume crammed with fish, torn down and sold.

Jukebox tank, removed.

Remember the skate board tank? Do you REALLY think its smart to be skateboarding on a aquarium? It's going to stress the fish from all the movement/loud banging, not to mention scratch the hell out of it.

Cowfish tank, death.

It doesn't take rocket surgery to notice the stocking and shapes/placement/fish choices in some of these aquariums and know it is doomed.

They have great creativity and the know-how to build something unique that holds water, it would be interesting to see someone contract them to build a practical reef aquarium and not use them for fish/coral stocking.

they are known for their nice tanks, not the crap they make on TV. They do make very nice custom large tanks. The clown act is for tv only..

Something that just dawned on me... and may have already been mentioned in some other thread...

Finding nemo saw a lot of occy and percula clowns die..... Do we expect Finding Dory to be a fair amount of Hippo Tangs deaths?

Something that just dawned on me... and may have already been mentioned in some other thread...

Finding nemo saw a lot of occy and percula clowns die..... Do we expect Finding Dory to be a fair amount of Hippo Tangs deaths?

You mean more than there already are?

Yeah of course you do. :(

Couple got divorced.

Couple got divorced.

I understand you're wanting to play devils advocate.

You are the third explanation for why the tank got torn down..

First I heard it was too expensive to upkeep and the fish kept dying.

Second I heard that the husband had a heart attack and they moved back to NY.

Now you say they got divorced.

While they make innovative and awesome tanks we are saying that they should let someone else do the stocking and upkeep.

Latin genus genius huh. lol. please

In like 6 years I probably will be, for now I sound like a 3 year old trying to speak English lol

While they make innovative and awesome tanks we are saying that they should let someone else do the stocking and upkeep.

I, in part agree. However, who's to say what they should be doing? That's for them to decide. The show would be completely different if they just showed them building and installing tanks (without livestock). Now, while I'd enjoy that show more than the current format, it's not what ATM or the show's producers/advertisers decided to do.

I'm calling PETA :P

I remember the thread where people were appalled that someone dumped copper in fish stores aquariums killing all the livestock. I don't see some of these tanks on their show as much different since some of them are doomed to fail and have mass die off. End result is the same and what they are doing is no accident.

Who's to say what they should be doing? That's for them to decide. The show would be completely different if they just showed them building and installing tanks (without livestock). Now, while I'd enjoy that show more than the current format, it's not what ATM or the show's producers/advertisers decided to do.

I'll correct myself as I don't speak for the forum. I believe they make poor decisions on upkeep and stocking.

While they do beautiful tanks, they make poor decisions on stocking and water quality in the tanks that are shown on tv. Some of us use tap water and that works ok but is not the best practice. Who's to say what they should be doing? Seriously? Are you truly saying that the rules they break don't lead to disaster?

There was a time when you cycled a tank with damsels. That has passed and now we cycle it differently. Why should they do any different? Again, a great example is the mob tank. "We just filled the tank with 1100 gallons of tap water, threw ice in from vending machines to cool it, and then threw all the fish in right afterwards". Seriously? Come on now.

Bubblegum machine tank overheated since the chiller failed.. Wheres the upkeep on that?

Are you truly telling me that you are OK with the New York tank having 5 raccoon butterflies, multiple tangs, and what looked like 20-40 damsels?

Why are you defending them? Seriously I don't know why, they friends or something?

why are you attacking them? You're judging a reputable company based on a reality tv show and gimmick tanks for tv..

Why are you defending them? Seriously I don't know why, they friends or something?

Accurate information is not a defense. Or keep the flame on and say it's all ATM's fault, maybe they caused the divorce. I don't really care from the start of the show all the fish reef guys were on these guys.

First I heard it was too expensive to upkeep and the fish kept dying.

Second I heard that the husband had a heart attack and they moved back to NY.

Now you say they got divorced.

Makes you wonder what you really can believe about any of this..... If you herd all that over a phone booth.

Can you say that this tank has cycled and aged appropriately to handle the coral they put in?

And really. Ten clarkii clownfish?

Entertaining comments here from those that don't even own tanks

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/death-shark-tank-coney-article-1.1374327#ixzz2WWGQ86vB

papermooner1 day ago
BECAUSE THEY DO NOT BELONG IN A FREAKING FISH TANK FOR A BUNCH OF IGNORANT, FAT, OVERFED IDIOTS TO GAWK AT THEM....THEY BELONG IN THE OCEAN THEY WERE STOLEN FROM!

Hmm, they moved the sharks from an OCEAN to a TANK? Of course this is cruelty. No one needs to see confined wild animals or fish as "entertainment." I would promise to boycott Applebees, but I wouldn't eat that disgusting food if I was starving to death. Everyone else should boycott Applebees and tell them to get rid of this tank.

Couple got divorced.

I didn't say why that one was torn down because I don't know. I was just pointing out how impractical the dimensions are vs the fish they had in it on the show.

Me and my wife always talk about that show and wonder who takes care of the tanks after the tv crew leaves. I'm sure this episode will need some re writes.

why are you attacking them? You're judging a reputable company based on a reality tv show and gimmick tanks for tv..

Are you kidding me her? Really, really really?

How silly of me to judge a company by their practices that are televised for the world to see.

oldSWseamomma

They build the tanks to the buyers specs and dreams and put in the fish that they want. After that are they supposed to babysit all these people. I'm sure they suggest to all these new owners a good quality aquarist caretaker and also that they (the owners) need to keep on top of the care of these tanks in order for them to survive. The tanks that they build I am sure are top notch and perform like they should it's up to the owners to take care of the inhabitants.

Archived