inTank Media Baskets

TV Show Tanked learns a hard lesson from hasty fish stocking!

lifebidesign

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still like fish tank kings better

So do I, Tanked is the reason I began this hobby. But, I don't watch it now that I know more about whats going on

Tanked is getting more and more about the gags and fake edits for laughs. Wish it was more about the build but whatever works for them. I invite more growth and participants in this hobby which these shows bring. I don't watch pawn stars to learn how to run a retail store.

porkchop-rob

In their defense...

1. There is a huge difference in a large (500+ gallon) tank and what we keep. You can "bend" the rules a lot more with a couple thousand gallons and still be successful and responsible.

2. Do you have any idea how clean that hotel water probably is? If they did use just city water then i would be worried, but as a high class place, Im sure they have an onsite water treatment/purification system. (again they are the pros not me)

just my 2 pennies....

i like the show, but too much is edited out and made up. makes it seem too easy for people who have never owned a salt tank.

I am watching Storage Wars right now. Tomorrow I am going to buy a store front and sell used crap I find around Milwaukee.

The girlfriend had dog whisper on the other day. Today I went out and got 3 dogs and started a dog training class.

I record Sons of Guns. I already owned firearms but figured a cannon was in my future.

Real World is the only thing I watch in MTV, so I drink every night and sleep with random chicks from the bar. On wait..........

Honestly, Fish Tank Kings is just as bad if not worse. I watched the first season of it a couple weeks ago and can't figure out why everyone claims its better than Tanked. They have the same fake annoying drama, ugly coral, WAY too quick stocking and overstocking, tanks with horrible conditions for the fish, and they never want to listen to their biologist. They almost killed a shark for stocking too quick in one episode because they had to do an install and stock in one weekend and they put an aquarium in the back stop at a baseball stadium. That's just as bad as the skate ramp tank.

All in all... this thread is a lot like if i watch a veterinary show with my wife.... Or a nurse watching something like house.. or doctor watching house..

"WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT!!! THATS NOT EVEN THE RIGHT TEST NAME" kinda thing...

Maybe, but this is a "reality" show and people these days see "reality" shows as "real life." So they're going to take the information they get from this and assume it's true and run with it.

NirvanaandTool

I stopped watching both shows. They were no better than the other. Tanked was probably a little worse but FTK wasnt much better. I just remember one episode where the fish geek was going on and on about how hard a 'Living reef' was to keep. Ummwut?

This crap with the shark doesnt surprise me in the least. I'm actually surprised you dont hear this stuff more often from ATM tanks.

Though FTK did put a rhinopias in one of their tanks, that was pretty cool to see that rare fish get some love.

Everyone here is talking as if they have never made a mistake, put the wrong fish in with another fish, or have made unethical judgement calls in regards to their tanks. This is an Acrylic TANK company. Yes they stock their tanks as well but hey it's to promote their tanks and bring in most customers. They give the customers what they want which isn't a bad thing. Consider how many livestock LFS kill; do you boycott it? What I'm saying is, give them a break. They never claimed to be saltwater experts or freshwater experts, only expert aquarium builders. If you don't Iike their methods don't watch the show.

I am watching Storage Wars right now. Tomorrow I am going to buy a store front and sell used crap I find around Milwaukee.

The girlfriend had dog whisper on the other day. Today I went out and got 3 dogs and started a dog training class.

I record Sons of Guns. I already owned firearms but figured a cannon was in my future.

Real World is the only thing I watch in MTV, so I drink every night and sleep with random chicks from the bar. On wait..........

Ever heard of a disclosure. If someone chooses to imitate entertainment, its of their own doing. The show is about massive tanks; not about how to keep fish and corals. They do give facts though when they choose the selections.

oldSWseamomma

I do watch both Tanked and FTK. I like the guys better on Tanked as it is for family entertainment and the guys from FTK are just jerks and the only one with common sense is the fish/coral geek guy, and I honestly believe that neither the guys from Tanked or FTK truly mean to harm any aquarium inhabitant on purpose. They are dealing with people who have alot of money and are not informed enough and won't listen to the experts - they just want a tank that "pops & wow's" people when they look at it. I loved the tank that was all live rock/coral that Tanked did with the refugium -that was totally gorgeous and those people have hired an experienced aquarist to keep it running right. FTK had a show on last night about this guy with a gazillion dollars who wanted an all coral tank and when the geek guy saw that this owner already had a smaller 200 gallon coral tank and knew what he was doing was okay with it and suggested that this guy also hire an experienced caretaker to help him out. So what you see on TV isn't the full story - what you see is entertainment. The sad part is I wish they would put disclaimers on there that if you are interested in an aquarium please research it before you buy. The good thing is they get more people interested in what can be a very wonderful additon to their lives. As for the sharks in this story - it's so sad that this has happened but sharks eating fish are what they do, and I think the one that died wasn't completely well either. Should they have been in that kind of tank NO but look at it this way maybe Brett & Wade thought if these people insist on sharks lets try to do it so that they have a chance. Well we all have killed fish by our own fault one way or another. I put a gorgeous Mandarin in with what I thought was a docile Coral Beauty and it killed the Mandy in one day. So as it would happen their bad luck just happened to be recorded on camera. Sorry for the long comment but let's lighten up people - we all have had bad luck and I really don't think that these guys mean any harm. A good day working for those guys beats sitting at my desk job all day :)

These guys know their stuff, but full on fish nerd would make boring TV for 90 percent of their target audience, remember this is a tv show. They have even explained that much of it is edited to look like they are rushing livestock into a brand new tank, Etc.. They have expressed their concern for livestock both on and off air, and they've tried to squeeze in more information and show more of the proper processes on the show. Mistakes happen, I'll still watch.

Yeah they are REALLY experienced, ask them what Cirrhilabrus earlei is

No answer

I'm a ####ing 12 year old and it took me 3 years to know more than these idiots

Latin genus genius huh. lol. please

Yeah - FTK is no better than tanked. The only reason it is maybe a little better is because you got to see that new girl trying out recently (who incidentally was absurdly hot) in a bikini spilling out.

Tanked did a tank a half hour away from me in a place called the Cowfish in Raleigh (I live in Durham and my LFS is in Raleigh) and basically everything died within a few days. It was pretty big news around here and on the local forums. What is sad is Cowfish has other restaurants with big tanks - and all of them are beautiful reef tanks behind the bar (though they are just standard box-shaped aquariums).

Yeah - FTK is no better than tanked. The only reason it is maybe a little better is because you got to see that new girl trying out recently (who incidentally was absurdly hot) in a bikini spilling out.

Tanked did a tank a half hour away from me in a place called the Cowfish in Raleigh (I live in Durham and my LFS is in Raleigh) and basically everything died within a few days. It was pretty big news around here and on the local forums. What is sad is Cowfish has other restaurants with big tanks - and all of them are beautiful reef tanks behind the bar (though they are just standard box-shaped aquariums).

that bikini was awesome! She had lots of.... Uh.. Knowledge..

Ever heard of a disclosure. If someone chooses to imitate entertainment, its of their own doing. The show is about massive tanks; not about how to keep fish and corals. They do give facts though when they choose the selections.

I think you missed my point. But right on

that bikini was awesome! She had lots of.... Uh.. Knowledge..

more boobies, less gags and fake drama

Don't cuss bro, you're only 12.

No talk about their skateboard ramp tank?!

I saw that episode and was nauseated by it. And that was before I ever got into keeping marine tanks. I thought how terrified the tank inhabitants would be with their tank being slammed and banged by skate boards. Repeatedly. And when that acrylic cracks........Retard idea. And ugly azz tank to boot!

^ +1 No truer truth has ever been spoken.

Shows like Sons of Guns talk about "Don't do this at home without proper training".. They should have that for these types of shows too.

"Dont do this at home unless you want to spend thousands while making mistakes"

oldSWseamomma

I wondered how long that tank would last - Cowfish need REALLY - experienced care. Sorry to hear about the loss :0( One of the restaurants in the tourist area here in the Smokies (Isle Mirada (sp?) Has a gorgeous SW tank behind the bar and they had a couple of little cowfish in it - well when the cowfish got hurt the toxins killed the rest of the fish in the tank. Plus, I think whoever they had taking care of it didn't know what they were doing :( The restaurant has changed owners now and the tank is sad.

Shows like Sons of Guns talk about "Don't do this at home without proper training".. They should have that for these types of shows too.

"Dont do this at home unless you want to spend thousands while making mistakes"

Absolutely agree. That won stop every stupid person with spending money from trying it anyway, but it might slow down enough of them to make a difference in the lives of some very nice fish.

On another note....I'd give my right arm if I could visit that livestock store they use in LA. What's it called....exotic reef imports? Anyone ever been in there?

Tanked did a tank at the Florida Aquarium for.... The "deep sea" stuff I believe it was... I remember looking at it and then thinking, "this tanks kinda ehh" and then turning around to a beautiful coral aquarium.

Absolutely agree. That won stop every stupid person with spending money from trying it anyway, but it might slow down enough of them to make a difference in the lives of some very nice fish. On another note....I'd give my right arm if I could visit that livestock store they use in LA. What's it called....exotic reef imports? Anyone ever been in there?

I looked into that place. They are only for businesses sadly. That place looks gorgeous. I can't imagine they let people just come in and point to what they want though. There has to be some sort of "this is for tv so lets fly out there and show them off" to it.

Tanked did a tank at the Florida Aquarium for.... The "deep sea" stuff I believe it was... I remember looking at it and then thinking, "this tanks kinda ehh" and then turning around to a beautiful coral aquarium.

I looked into that place. They are only for businesses sadly. That place looks gorgeous. I can't imagine they let people just come in and point to what they want though. There has to be some sort of "this is for tv so lets fly out there and show them off" to it.

Man that place makes me drool. It's affect (effect?) on me is very unladylike. I've looked at them online but can't see anything cuz like you said it's for retailers or something. I'd also like to visit AquaSD some day. They have some stunning stuff. Next time I'm in Cali I'm hitting some of these places. Anyone know what the airline rules are for flying live fish/corals cross country?

Man that place makes me drool. It's affect (effect?) on me is very unladylike. I've looked at them online but can't see anything cuz like you said it's for retailers or something. I'd also like to visit AquaSD some day. They have some stunning stuff. Next time I'm in Cali I'm hitting some of these places. Anyone know what the airline rules are for flying live fish/corals cross country?

My mom brought me her clownfish in a little baggie of water. They looked at it, said "welp, theres a fish in there" and let her on her merry way.

Archived