SaltCritters.com

Opinion on this clam?

th64

So I am considering getting another clam and this one is a 3''+ deresa. I really am considering getting it cause of the unique color. I currently have a blue crocea that is not 4''+ and has always done really well and my Ca levels are usually at 460. So opinions on the color? Price hes asking is $50. Advice is also welcome!

15e9x50.jpg

That's true... I have LED's so I think I am gona find out what lighting he has it under

EDIT: He is running a combo LED/T5 hmmm

If your lights can handle the clams, and you like the clam, and it doesn't make you overstocked... Why not! It will be beautiful either way.

Derasas get huge. What size tank is this going in?

Looks like you are right they do get big... its going in a 34 solana so I am not sure if it is a good idea anymore. I will be upgrading to a 60 in a year.I havent seen any in a reef bigger then 12'' though

th64. You can always sell it to a reefer with a bigger tank later on. How fast do they grow?

or... ya know... get a bigger tank :-D

Derasas do get big but thats just a good reason to upgrade. I used to have a derasa in my 3 gallon. That thing is beautiful, I'd do it before he sells it to someone else.

Alright going to pull the trigger and pick it up tonight I think it should be happy and when it gets bigger I will probably be in the process of upgrading. Thanks guys!

Looks like you are right they do get big... its going in a 34 solana so I am not sure if it is a good idea anymore. I will be upgrading to a 60 in a year.I havent seen any in a reef bigger then 12'' though

Youll be fine as long as you plan on upgrading as it grows. They grow pretty fast from my experience. Easy to care for just as long as you have good water params and give it good light. Feed phytoplankton as well.

Youll be fine as long as you plan on upgrading as it grows. They grow pretty fast from my experience. Easy to care for just as long as you have good water params and give it good light. Feed phytoplankton as well.

Yeah most people said they doubled or tripled in size in about a year so I am actually looking forward to this being a nice big centerpiece

May i ask which store in so cal you got that from i live in so cal and that may be worth the drive for me

Its just a local reefer selling it I think he has 1 more that is bigger. Send me a PM and I will give you the info.

I would buy it in a heartbeat:)

Im anxious to pick it up but hes not available till tomorrow so I have to wait!

Went to go check this clam out tonight at his house and I have to say I was very disappointed. There's no way he didn't photoshop the crap out of the pic cause in reality the clam was just tan/brown. Even under his blue LEDs or t5 actinics it didn't look like the pic so I told him no thanks... what a bummer

Did you look at the clam from the top down? Clams will look very different from top down then they do through the glass.

icedearth15324

What a shame, that clam looked amazing. Deresas are still very nice looking clams though, even though they don't have all the blues of Croceas and Maximas. They are also easy to keep.

Archived