Pod Your Reef

My Bonsai Reef

sam_the_reefer

sam_the_reefer

Just did some major trimming. The bigger red shroom to the lower left and the bigger green one to the lower right "detached" but left babies. I fished out the green one, but the red one disappeared from where it settled (maybe something ate it). I was able to borrow a Dremel and used the opportunity to frag the bigger orange yuma at the back. No FTS at the moment because the rubble filled petri dish with shrooms recovering and attaching is too distracting, but I do have baby pics. :)

In 4 days it will be a year since I got the carpet nem and I'm still conflicted whether I'll keep it or not.

• Like 2
sam_the_reefer

After a year, I finally decided to keep the nem.

DSC02740.thumb.jpg.9edd202e82099f314cf427618f89e9de.jpg 

This means I needed to rescape so it doesn't always get irritated by the big orange yuma. I'm trying to get some shrooms that decided to detach to reattach again, so pardon the baby bottles.

DSC02733.thumb.JPG.ae996efdd297c32c6fb83c3f5e2899ce.JPG

• Like 5
sam_the_reefer
3 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

so I CAN keep a nem in a 13,5 gallon? hmm

your tank is gorgeous. and little tree structure in the middle is *steals*

Thanks! Also, I wouldn't recommend this kind of nem in a small tank :)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

so I CAN keep a nem in a 13,5 gallon? hmm

your tank is gorgeous. and little tree structure in the middle is *steals*

Not if you don't have plans for a serious upgrade. ;) And a willingness to get rid of it if the upgrade doesn't happen.  RFA's or mini carpet nems are really the only appropriately sized ones for a 13.5 gallon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Nano sapiens
14 hours ago, xellos88 said:

After a year, I finally decided to keep the nem.

DSC02740.thumb.jpg.9edd202e82099f314cf427618f89e9de.jpg 

This means I needed to rescape so it doesn't always get irritated by the big orange yuma. I'm trying to get some shrooms that decided to detach to reattach again, so pardon the baby bottles.

DSC02733.thumb.JPG.ae996efdd297c32c6fb83c3f5e2899ce.JPG

Great to see that the anemone has done well.  I believe that part of the reason these types are considered difficult is that they suffer from shipping stress.  If I remember correctly, yours is locally sourced which would account for it doing well.

That is one big, colorful and bubbly Yuma!

• Like 1
sam_the_reefer
3 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Great to see that the anemone has done well.  I believe that part of the reason these types are considered difficult is that they suffer from shipping stress.  If I remember correctly, yours is locally sourced which would account for it doing well.

That is one big, colorful and bubbly Yuma!

Yup, the nem was locally sourced and was a rescue situation.

Yumas are the bomb!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
sam_the_reefer

Tank's still chugging along. I was expecting a big diatom/cyano bloom after taking out most of the ochtodes and vacuuming most of the substrate during my last rescape, but that didn't happen (yet?).

I noticed how full it looks from this angle while cleaning.

Also latest FTS

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

Left the tank on autopilot for a week during the holidays, and happy to report that everything is fine and dandy. :) Will post pics after I clean it up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • sam_the_reefer changed the title to My Bonsai Reef