Pod Your Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it kinda sucked tho, she paired up with my male blue throat. They were inseparable.... To the point that he stopped eating and I actually found him dead locked in his cave a couple weeks later.

jedimasterben

The third black bar chromis started coming out and looks good, so that means all eleven fish are accounted for and doing well so far, adjusted! The Kupang and yellowtail damsels are all kind of clustered together, and all the chromis are still kinda chilling out in the back of the tank. A few of them are pecking at pellets already. The Starcki is still hiding under the maxi mini rock, but I see it poking its head out some and looking around, and it has a good appetite.

Also noticed that my Springeri damsels, wrasse, and chalk bass are all out in the open more now. Not sure if it's because there are more fish or if it's because the trigger isn't there. Hmm.

I'm glad to hear they're all accounted for. I have to confess that when I dream of a bigger tank, it's really mostly just so I can have more/bigger fish :)

jedimasterben

That one fish order brought me from 15 fish to 26 :lol:

The wife walks up to the tank today and is like uhm, there are new fish. That's new. And that's new. Where did those come from? :lol:

jedimasterben

"I swear, they just showed up on the front porch!" :lol:

:lol: She was cool with it since they are all really pretty lol

jedimasterben

Yes you do!

So the week that I have zero spending money left, my LFS not only gets in some small yellow longnose butterflies, but also has a large shipment of maxi minis for $16. Grrrr.

NirvanaandTool

:lol: She was cool with it since they are all really pretty lol

That's the saving grace lol

Only 5 fish here, wait make that 6. Always forget the baby tang in her growout tank down the basement. Was fattening her up before she hit the DT.

Yes you do!

So the week that I have zero spending money left, my LFS not only gets in some small yellow longnose butterflies, but also has a large shipment of maxi minis for $16. Grrrr.

$16!!?? they are between 60-80 here if you can even get them.

jedimasterben

Just goes to show the markup some stores put on things that are not only cultured in mass quantities but are also almost always readily available.

jedimasterben

On Monday I put a 15% peroxide solution into the Oxydator (this is, according to the patent on the Oxydator submitted by Sochting, the minimum amount for it to work properly). Shit went downhill lol. One of my gorgonians began to recede, my magnifica anemone shriveled up and just looked bad, one of my maxi minis bleached, my big colony of palys bleached (never seen that before, even when I was straight up peroxide dosing almost a liter of it per day). Safe to say that 15% is too much, and this is with the Oxydator being in my sump which is 'not recommended' since it would be less efficient. Malarky ;)

Not sure if I'm going to continue on with the Oxydator. I might give it another go with a smaller percentage, but honestly my water isn't any more clear than it was before, corals never had more polyp extension, I couldn't see 'fish breathing easier', etc.

Also noticed that my Springeri damsels, wrasse, and chalk bass are all out in the open more now. Not sure if it's because there are more fish or if it's because the trigger isn't there. Hmm.

Not likely a coincidence. Your trigger is a dick ;)

They eat fish, better off without them lol

That one fish order brought me from 15 fish to 26 :lol:

Damn, I'm in double digits I think but not nearly that many...... yet lol

jedimasterben

They eat fish, better off without them lol

Fish that are already dead or dying, yes. Same with any other anemone or large LPS.

Fish that are already dead or dying, yes. Same with any other anemone or large LPS.

I've read many accounts that claim otherwise, I've never owned one but I do know them bitches are sticky as #### so it wouldn't surprise me if they can take down a healthy fish that is dumb enough to get close enough/ land on it.

jedimasterben

I've read many accounts that claim otherwise, I've never owned one but I do know them bitches are sticky as #### so it wouldn't surprise me if they can take down a healthy fish that is dumb enough to get close enough/ land on it.

The only fish I've lost to them are mollies that didn't survive the acclimation.

The only fish I've lost to them are mollies that didn't survive the acclimation.

I also remember you saying something about Red Tail Triggers weren't that aggressive :lol: You also have alot more room for fish to avoid them then most people on this site that would try housing one or more ;)

Just goes to show the markup some stores put on things that are not only cultured in mass quantities but are also almost always readily available.

Found several for $40 each yesterday. All baby shit brown color except for one real pretty lime green. Couldn't pull the trigger on it though as it was only about the size of a quarter and the tank didn't look real healthy.
jedimasterben

Lost one of the black bar chromis somehow, it died and is caught in one of the gorgonians. Weird.

Archived