Cultivated Reef

Aqueon 8 Temperate/Coldwater Marine Tank. Got a Fringehead in here now ;)

AquaticEngineer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

what color leds are in there? it looks really really white

Its a single 50w chip that is 10k. They make the white 50w chips from 6500K all the way up to 20K. They aslo make one that is 1/2 blue 1/2 white, as well as an RGB one, and a solid blue one.

AquaticEngineer

Green Surf(Anthopleura xanthogrammica) and Strawberry(Actinia fragacea) anemones in my 8 gallon with the new light overhead this morning :)

temporary_zps9cd28eea.jpg

I love those white flecks on the strawberry one and the limegreen on the other.. I think they're more beautiful than the regular saltwater ones.

AquaticEngineer

I love those white flecks on the strawberry one and the limegreen on the other.. I think they're more beautiful than the regular saltwater ones.

The white flecs are actually pale green in person (or with a better camera, lol) and they fluoresce under actinic light :)

The Green anemones also react under actinic, but I light their natural colors more than anything which is why I went with the high output 10k and no blue. This makes them look just like when you see them on a nice day uin the tidepools :D

AquaticEngineer

Ended up adding a 60 degree optic onto the DIY imitation kessil I made :)

It eliminated a lot of the wasted cast out light and makes it not so blinding from every angle, just blinding straight down at a 60 degree one now.

Pics in a bit.

AquaticEngineer

I still love the fact that this light setup only has cost me a little over $60 now with the optic :)

temporary_zps45ca6104.jpg

temporary_zpsebcefc66.jpg

temporary_zps41db0158.jpg

temporary_zps85bf8b59.jpg

Wow that is bright. How many hours a day do you run the light? Do you have any problems with algae with the bright light? And finally do you have anything photosynthetic in the tank?

Thanks for the information, I hope to have mine set up soon and this information really helps.

Mike

AquaticEngineer

Wow that is bright. How many hours a day do you run the light? Do you have any problems with algae with the bright light? And finally do you have anything photosynthetic in the tank?

Thanks for the information, I hope to have mine set up soon and this information really helps.

Mike

I've been running it when ever I am home so its been on for 12-14 hours a day usually. I have the same light I built running 24/7 over a refugium on the main holding tank that grows sea lettuce and tigriopus californicus and phytoplankton as a free recirculating food automated food source.

I've actually been trying to grow more algae in this tank to keep all my jeweled top snails happy :)

As for the photosynthetic animals I have the green anemones and the aggregating anemones that are.

Smart idea using the CPU heatsink for the LED cooling. Looks very slick. Where did you get the LED itself?

You can get em off eBay for about $20 shiped for the driver and LED chip. Then just source all the other parts locally and put it together :)

• 3 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

Few more pics with the new colorations of Aggregating Anemones I found last trip out and one of a crazy big turban snail completely covered in corraline algae........yes from the oregon coast, lol.

temporary_zps2de1a5a5.jpg

temporary_zpsdbd0006c.jpg

temporary_zps3c29f307.jpg

temporary_zps869d311d.jpg

temporary_zpsc6665cb3.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Dude your tank rocks! I finally finished all the tanks that slowed me down from starting my cold water bookshelf! I'm finally ready to design my tank for me! :)

• 4 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

Some new pics to update :)

I changed over my 50w LED to an RGB 50w setup, just liked the mixed color a little bit better.

My little Yellowfin Fringehead poking out :)

temporary_zps44e0048e.jpg

Jeweled Topsnails out for a cruise.

temporary_zps9c8dc43f.jpg

FTS with the new RGB 50w light

temporary_zpsfeaca85d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

Scored a deal on a boat load of chillers and happen to get a random little half finished nano skimmer with a tiny venturi pump in the deal as well.

I got a little crazy with the free upgrades so it feels a little cluttered to me now, so I may end up putting this hole thing on a stand and moving it off the desk.

Turned out okay visually, but the skimmer is kicking butt and the chiller is keeping the tank at a constant 56-57F while the inside house temps are between 65-70F.

Mostly just started screwing around with it because I anticipate swapping over all the hardware into the Micro-Reefs 12x12x12 AIO made out of 1/2" when Mike releases them ;)

Anyways, more pics :)

temporary_zps065ba9c0.jpg

temporary_zps801c87a6.jpg

temporary_zps73a7f4ad.jpg

temporary_zpsecc5569f.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Stu,

December 10th I pick up 4 x 8 sheet of 1/2 inch material from my distributor which will yield 12 x 12 x 12 for half a dozen tanks. I am going to make an announcement shortly about pre-orders.

I am taking the plunge into the material without any orders, so help spread the word! :)

The build should only take 1 week to complete and will have all the bells and whistles.

AquaticEngineer

Couple new residents now that the tank is sitting steady at 57F

Little bitty Irish Lord :)
temporary_zpsa2112876.jpg

Little Rainbow Scorp :)

temporary_zps94f377f2.jpg

Archived