Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aqueon 8 Temperate/Coldwater Marine Tank. Got a Fringehead in here now ;)

AquaticEngineer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

I've actually got some time available to go personally collecting for own tanks soon! So I'm sure I will find another one of the Rockweed Gunnels, maybe a green one and red one this time.

I

I've actually got some time available to go personally collecting for own tanks soon! So I'm sure I will find another one of the Rockweed Gunnels, maybe a green one and red one this time.

I

How cool is that? You actually have time to collect for yourself instead of everyone else this time!

AquaticEngineer

How cool is that? You actually have time to collect for yourself instead of everyone else this time!

Totally! Its been a while since I've got to go out and just look for things I want :) I've gotta find a bunch of bigger stuff for my new display tank, but I love looking at a 2 ft square area for like 30 minutes and find all the little tiny things that most people don't even notice for my little tank :)

Totally! Its been a while since I've got to go out and just look for things I want :) I've gotta find a bunch of bigger stuff for my new display tank, but I love looking at a 2 ft square area for like 30 minutes and find all the little tiny things that most people don't even notice for my little tank :)

That just sounds so pleasant. What a great opportunity that you have to do that.

AquaticEngineer

Decided to take a new pic of the tank since the inhabitants have changed so much over the summer. Since the Coolworks chiller isnt quite enough I decided to go with only animals that can handle the 60-68 range the tank swings.

7857_601695203215310_1005287986_n.jpg

I don't know anything abt the temperate tanks but I can still say I like your selection of fish and anemone colors. Do the anemone colors sway to certain colors when the water is colder?

AquaticEngineer

I don't know anything abt the temperate tanks but I can still say I like your selection of fish and anemone colors. Do the anemone colors sway to certain colors when the water is colder?

I'm not sure if they do or not. I know that the vast majority of temperate anemones are all non-photosynthetic where as most of the tropical one are photosynthetic. The species that are photosynthetic tend to have more blues, greens, and purples in them where as the deeper you go out and less photosynthesis is occurring the more reds, yellows, oranges you tend to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhh look what I just got 20 of today? How many should I keep for myself......hmmmm decisions decisions.....

1237080_611430538908443_1241355160_n.jpg

You could just say that they're the last of an extremely rare species and you're not sure if they'll breed, then jack the price up to $1,000,000,000,000,000 each so you can keep 19 of them for yourself! :D

AquaticEngineer

Just curious, how many fish do you have in here cause it seems like a ton.

Right now I have 5 small fish. I rotate them in and out as I see conflicts, or if someone buys one :)

Currently there is:

Junenile Copper Rockfish (too tiny for the holding system)

Black Eye Gobie

Fluffy Sculpin

3 Spine Stickleback

Saddleback Gunnel

AquaticEngineer

Decided I was tired of the poopy stock LED fixture, so I built myself a 50W 10K LED Cannon :) Total price.....$57.

Based on the PAR readings I got off of the old ones this should be right about the same as a 250W halide, but with no heat exchanged to the tank.

Basically a prettier, slimmed down version of my old LED projects I did in the past. Higher flow fan, lower profile heatsink, and a better quality LED, with a nice clean housing.

temporary_zps8864db18.jpg

Then I made one to run 24/7 on my phyto-fuge project on the holding system :)

temporary_zpsb3b28593.jpg

temporary_zps022e86ab.jpg

temporary_zpsa2daa95d.jpg

Archived