Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

Polarcollision

I guess mine wasn't as grumpy as yours :lol:.

I'm familiar with the PITA'ness of maxi minis too. I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of them.

I just get eye rolls from my husband :lol:.

Got them all :happydance: Here they are in jail LOL.

btas_zps87eeed40.jpeg

Waiting to hear back from my brother to see if he wants one or all of them. I know he was wanting to get a BTA for his maroon clown tank.

So I'm going to go with SPS as replacements. Any suggestions on a MUST HAVE SPS? I've always loved ORA spongodes so I definitely will try to find that. What else is really nice?

I went through this exact same thing earlier this year. Everywhere I looked were grown in SPS reefs with hammers and bubble tips tucked into the rocks. It seemed like a done deal. So I got a gorgeous rose bubble tip. It found a happy place on the back of a rock where I couldn't see it. And the clowns couldn't have cared less about it. Then it tripled in size over just a few months, threatening the duncan. Yikes. 3 months is all I tolerated it's shenanigans. You will love Spongeodes. it grows fast and won't let me kill it. Considering the last few months that's a hearty coral. You might also like these: ORA's green bird (the big one in my tank). Strawberry shortcake, GARF bonsai, red planet, and the neon magenta poccilopora.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm going to go with SPS as replacements. Any suggestions on a MUST HAVE SPS? I've always loved ORA spongodes so I definitely will try to find that. What else is really nice?

Old school tried n trues are always good... bunch of different ora and tyree pieces (Pink lemonade, red planet, miami orchid....), reef raft (before RR USA lost their connection to real RR shit..... so like yellow mamba, wolverine,avengers, etc if you don't mind dropping a nice chunk of coin and can actually find them.... cherry corals gets a ton of nice stuff not the cheapest but well worth it IMO. ALL their corals get properly quarantined, observed, dipped, and inspected constantly before going in their sale vats, unlike most other retailers that dont quarantine or hold them long before hacking and trying to flip stuff.

I'll take 'em. I've got nine so far and they have not strayed from their rock. Only had one that has ever been a wandering soul, and it was just pissy because it didn't like where I put it temporarily.

I would have but my brother is going to take them...sorry!!!!!!

Well, you went on the nem adventure. If it's not your bit at least you can say you have some experience with them. How did you go about the removal? Sounds like you used the dangling method? Good luck with the new island!

Yeah, I can say been there, done that :D. The first 2 I did the dangling method. The green one dropped right off, the pink one took about 20 minutes. The final pink one was walking and wandered right underneath the purple monticap. It was hardly attached so I was able to get my fingers under the foot and it came off so easily. I got lucky :D.

I went through this exact same thing earlier this year. Everywhere I looked were grown in SPS reefs with hammers and bubble tips tucked into the rocks. It seemed like a done deal. So I got a gorgeous rose bubble tip. It found a happy place on the back of a rock where I couldn't see it. And the clowns couldn't have cared less about it. Then it tripled in size over just a few months, threatening the duncan. Yikes. 3 months is all I tolerated it's shenanigans. You will love Spongeodes. it grows fast and won't let me kill it. Considering the last few months that's a hearty coral. You might also like these: ORA's green bird (the big one in my tank). Strawberry shortcake, GARF bonsai, red planet, and the neon magenta poccilopora.

Boy, when they say they get big, they aren't kidding!!!!! Yep, spongodes for sure. I've always loved the color and looks of that coral so now is my chance to have it :).

Old school tried n trues are always good... bunch of different ora and tyree pieces (Pink lemonade, red planet, miami orchid....), reef raft (before RR USA lost their connection to real RR shit..... so like yellow mamba, wolverine,avengers, etc if you don't mind dropping a nice chunk of coin and can actually find them.... cherry corals gets a ton of nice stuff not the cheapest but well worth it IMO. ALL their corals get properly quarantined, observed, dipped, and inspected constantly before going in their sale vats, unlike most other retailers that dont quarantine or hold them long before hacking and trying to flip stuff.

I've made my decision and already purchased it LOL. Strawberry Shortcake :wub:. I ordered it from Reef Gardener. She has a gorgeous one! I think all I really have room for is two SPS pieces so it will be the SS and the Spongodes. Although, my brother has the Pink Lemonade I sent him over a year ago. I may ask him to frag me a piece and I'll squeeze that in there too. But nothing else :lol:.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!! :D

Not your BTAs, I wanted maxi minis :)

Hah...brain fart. Sorry LOL.

Got the rocks all rearranged and ready for some SPS :happydance:

IMG_8080_zps83f670dd.jpg

anemone jail

IMG_8081_zpsa45f7e29.jpg

Lawn...do they look healthy enough to ship them out tomorrow?????? :)

IMG_8082_zpsceaf5dca.jpg

nevermore1701

Why is it that no matter what you add, remove, or re-arrange, your tank always looks fantastic?

*ikindofhateyoubutnotreally*

Yes they will be fine. I like to ship my BTA's late afternoon so they are in the tank longer and transit shorter. You sending them to your brother?

I'll take 'em. I've got nine so far and they have not strayed from their rock. Only had one that has ever been a wandering soul, and it was just pissy because it didn't like where I put it temporarily.

If you are local, I would have you come over and pry them off the rocks and give them a good home. I am going to try and catch them on the move one night when the light is out.

I've made my decision and already purchased it LOL. Strawberry Shortcake :wub:. I ordered it from Reef Gardener. She has a gorgeous one! I think all I really have room for is two SPS pieces so it will be the SS and the Spongodes. Although, my brother has the Pink Lemonade I sent him over a year ago. I may ask him to frag me a piece and I'll squeeze that in there too. But nothing else :lol:.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!! :D

just make sure they dont block "our" views of the montis! I may have missed this but do you not like torch / frogspawn / hammer?

Why is it that no matter what you add, remove, or re-arrange, your tank always looks fantastic?

*ikindofhateyoubutnotreally*

:lol::flower:

Yes they will be fine. I like to ship my BTA's late afternoon so they are in the tank longer and transit shorter. You sending them to your brother?

Great! Thanks! Yep, sending them to my brother in Texas.

just make sure they dont block "our" views of the montis! I may have missed this but do you not like torch / frogspawn / hammer?

No, I do like them. But they take up a lot of space and I end up getting bored with them. I can't explain it. Torches are my favorite, but they have such a far reach for stinging and I have no patience for that lol.

I'll be sure to make it so that the SPS do not block your monti view :). It's a small SS frag so it will be awhile before I will even have to worry about that. I hope LOL. Things grow so fast in this tank so who knows. Well, everything BUT the Slimer. I don't know what it's problem is. Maybe the montis are bothering it too much. Instead of using all of it's energy to grow, it's having to use some to fight the montis. Maybe????

Well, everything BUT the Slimer. I don't know what it's problem is. Maybe the montis are bothering it too much. Instead of using all of it's energy to grow, it's having to use some to fight the montis. Maybe????

Could be, could also be that it can't encrust enough to branch out and grow as much because it can't support itself. Typically corals will grow like crazy when competing for space, but the montis won the encrusting war.... Another thing you could try to stimulate growth tho.... cut like 1/4" off the tips.

Go to Vivid and get a piece of the pink lemonade from their show tank. It is a great strain that they have. I would also suggest maybe starting with red setosa, ORA purple nana and pearlberry, miyagi tort, red planet, red dragon.

Every time I know I remarked on your tank it was just my shock at how fast the btas grew. Oh well, your tried and liked them for a while and now it's time for another adventure and they'll find a better home.

Could be, could also be that it can't encrust enough to branch out and grow as much because it can't support itself. Typically corals will grow like crazy when competing for space, but the montis won the encrusting war.... Another thing you could try to stimulate growth tho.... cut like 1/4" off the tips.

I'd be afraid to cut off the tips :). I'm curious to see if keeping my alk at 9dkh and calcium at 420 will make any difference.

Go to Vivid and get a piece of the pink lemonade from their show tank. It is a great strain that they have. I would also suggest maybe starting with red setosa, ORA purple nana and pearlberry, miyagi tort, red planet, red dragon.

Oh...thanks for the tip! I'll check out their pink lemonade next time I'm there. I'll be making the trip before summer's end. I always go once during the summer :). Last year it was in August and that's when I got my first clam. I'll have my gold maxima clam a year next month :happydance:.

Every time I know I remarked on your tank it was just my shock at how fast the btas grew. Oh well, your tried and liked them for a while and now it's time for another adventure and they'll find a better home.

They grew SUPER fast. I have the box and bags ready to go for tomorrow. I'll be shipping them off to Texas :).

Looky what I did this evening. My favorite, rhubarb pie :)

Before:

pie_zpsc7182c12.jpeg

After:

14ecda77-e03b-4602-bf12-cbc70b90f48e_zps

How big is your clam, Gena? It looks huge!

& I see your firefish out a lot in your pics, but usually can't spot the wrasse. Does he hide a lot or am I being blind? :P

Cameron6796

I love all euphylia basically if you want a torch then do an eco reef one type thing lol whats one more tank lol

Polarcollision

I'd be afraid to cut off the tips :). I'm curious to see if keeping my alk at 9dkh and calcium at 420 will make any difference.

After:

14ecda77-e03b-4602-bf12-cbc70b90f48e_zps

Since I just did a ton of research tonight on that, I was going to suggest Ca at 424 instead of 400 to balance 9 dKH. But then I thought, what test kit is THAT accurate?? LOL I'm lost in the detail forest.

Must have that pie. :wub:

Don't be scared, it is a common thing to do to stimulate growth and no different then fragging ;)

Keeping the #'s steady is more important then keeping them at a set number for the most part.

jedimasterben

If you are local, I would have you come over and pry them off the rocks and give them a good home. I am going to try and catch them on the move one night when the light is out.

It would be significantly harder at night when they shrivel up a bit. To get mine off of the rock they were on when moving tanks, I had to take a hammer and chisel to it.

Mr. Microscope

Wow! I can't believe you got that one out from under the cap so easily. So lucky!

Do you have any thoughts on what SPS you want to add?

Since I just did a ton of research tonight on that, I was going to suggest Ca at 424 instead of 400 to balance 9 dKH. But then I thought, what test kit is THAT accurate?? LOL I'm lost in the detail forest.

Thanks Gena,

I read your thread last night before I went to bed and woke up this morning craving pie!

Might have to go out to lunch today?!

David

pie! OH MY! I bet I would love that.

I wish I could give you a piece of this! It turned out AMAZING!!!!! Best I've ever had. The rhubarb is perfectly tart and mixed with the sweet....it's heaven :wub:.

How big is your clam, Gena? It looks huge!

& I see your firefish out a lot in your pics, but usually can't spot the wrasse. Does he hide a lot or am I being blind? :P

Gosh...probably about 5"???? I think it was under 3" when I got it :).

The PSW is a tiny bit elusive. He comes out a lot more now than when I first got him though. I'll try to take some photos of him today for you.

I love all euphylia basically if you want a torch then do an eco reef one type thing lol whats one more tank lol

I had a torch when I first set up this tank. It was a gorgeous gold/yellow one. I can't handle another tank :D.

I know right? Would love a test kit that is 100% accurate. I can test my calcium twice and both results are different. It gives me a general idea though.

Pie is the best :).

Don't be scared, it is a common thing to do to stimulate growth and no different then fragging ;)

Keeping the #'s steady is more important then keeping them at a set number for the most part.

I'll try it as a last resort :).

Wow! I can't believe you got that one out from under the cap so easily. So lucky!

Do you have any thoughts on what SPS you want to add?

It was in the process of moving when I grabbed it so it wasn't set and dug in at all. I waved at a bit to see what the grasp was like and it was almost nothing. Plus the underside of the monti is pretty smooth :).

Thanks Gena,

I read your thread last night before I went to bed and woke up this morning craving pie!

Might have to go out to lunch today?!

David

Go get some pie :).

I can't wait to have a piece today :happydance:

I wish I could give you a piece of this! It turned out AMAZING!!!!! Best I've ever had. The rhubarb is perfectly tart and mixed with the sweet....it's heaven :wub:.

Gosh...probably about 5"???? I think it was under 3" when I got it :).

The PSW is a tiny bit elusive. He comes out a lot more now than when I first got him though. I'll try to take some photos of him today for you.

I had a torch when I first set up this tank. It was a gorgeous gold/yellow one. I can't handle another tank :D.

I know right? Would love a test kit that is 100% accurate. I can test my calcium twice and both results are different. It gives me a general idea though.

Pie is the best :).

I'll try it as a last resort :).

It was in the process of moving when I grabbed it so it wasn't set and dug in at all. I waved at a bit to see what the grasp was like and it was almost nothing. Plus the underside of the monti is pretty smooth :).

Go get some pie :).

I can't wait to have a piece today :happydance:

I might just do that. They had a online auction for my son's school foundation. The only thing I could afford was a pie-a-month for a whole year at a local diner. So far I have only cashed in for two pies.

BTW, my calcium tests are never the same either. I have the Hanna tester and a Salifert test kit. It thought the Hanna tester was off.

Here's some of my favorite SPS:

Tyree Purple Monster

PC Superman Table

$500 Efflo

PC Rainbow Acro

Strawberry Shortcake

Cali/Oregon Tort

Bali Tri-Color

Ice Fire Echinata

Pink Panther

ORA Pearlberry

Pink Lemonade

Most encrusting montis (Sunset, Pokerstar, etc)

Green Slimer

Joe the Coral

RR Jawdropper/others

Most millipora

I guess mine wasn't as grumpy as yours :lol:. I'm familiar with the PITA'ness of maxi minis too. I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of them. I just get eye rolls from my husband :lol:.Got them all :happydance: Here they are in jail LOL.http://s711.photobucket.com/user/genae1971/media/btas_zps87eeed40.jpeg.html'>btas_zps87eeed40.jpegWaiting to hear back from my brother to see if he wants one or all of them. I know he was wanting to get a BTA for his maroon clown tank.So I'm going to go with SPS as replacements. Any suggestions on a MUST HAVE SPS? I've always loved ORA spongodes so I definitely will try to find that. What else is really nice?

I've got a couple.of spongodes frags available. Let me know if you're interested :)

Archived