SaltCritters.com

jcusmarine's PicO S III Starphire Rimless Lagoon Build

jcusmarine

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have the same tank and light. I need to post some recent pics up lol

A word of advice on the AI nano:

Get a piece of frosted acrylic and use it to diffuse the light (You will still have shimmer). I noticed that the AI nano bleached all of my softies within 4 months. The light is way too powerful for a shallow tank.

I keep mine at 40RB 35B 30W I've had the most success keeping the light below 50% and with a diffuser on the lenses. Trust me, you will burn everything you put under it if you go over 50. I suggest starting out at 20% everything before getting close to 50%

I'll be following your build ;)

Deleted User 4

We have the same tank and light. I need to post some recent pics up lol

A word of advice on the AI nano:

Get a piece of frosted acrylic and use it to diffuse the light (You will still have shimmer). I noticed that the AI nano bleached all of my softies within 4 months. The light is way too powerful for a shallow tank.

I keep mine at 40RB 35B 30W I've had the most success keeping the light below 50% and with a diffuser on the lenses. Trust me, you will burn everything you put under it if you go over. I suggest starting out at 20% everything before getting close to 50%

I'll be following your build ;)

I ran out of likes....

The light is way too powerful for a shallow tank.

I keep mine at 40RB 35B 30W I've had the most success keeping the light below 50% and with a diffuser on the lenses. Trust me, you will burn everything you put under it if you go over 50. I suggest starting out at 20% everything before getting close to 50%

I wouldn't put mine even close to 50% on a shallow tank. I've dialed it down to 15w/25b/25rb on my shallow pico. If you're putting new un-acclimated coral in first, I'd even recommend starting at 10%.

jcusmarine

Fills up the tank better then I thought from the pictures!

Thanks!

Added a small rubble piece with coralline from my LFS to help seed the tank today.

Time to sit back and wait.

jcusmarine

Going to try out the Jebao WP-25 and if I am not happy will go with the MP-10 again, which I like. I have time before I will be adding any corals to figure out the water movement. The koralia 240 is fine for now. Will use that in my SW mixing bucket.

That's where my Koralia 240 ended up, haha. Did you get in on the Phoenix wp40 and wp25 group buy? The organizer has said I should qualify for the "teaser" shipment of 10-20 wp25s, so I should be one of the first people in the country running it.

jcusmarine

That's where my Koralia 240 ended up, haha. Did you get in on the Phoenix wp40 and wp25 group buy? The organizer has said I should qualify for the "teaser" shipment of 10-20 wp25s, so I should be one of the first people in the country running it.

You AZ folks will be first. Will be looking forward to seeing when you get yours and hearing your feedback. I managed to get on a local GB for some time early/mid June and for the price it was worth a shot. Still got love for the MP10, but hey - money talks.

jcusmarine

Installed 1/2" long 10-32 stainless steel allen head bolts for the AI Nano to mount closer to the arm. Much better.....I need all the distance I can get with a shallow setup. Looks clean B)

Lowered the intensities per the above feedback also. Thanks folks.

jcusmarine

Okay, Okay....how many pics can you have of an empty cycling tank. Last one, promise.

Tis' the trouble with running your own company and working from home. The PicO just calls me for break time and my iphone magically appears in front of my face....ooooo shiny.

Plus, I especially love that the barnacles are driving iIlu crazy so there you go man - have it man. Barnacles Ahoy!

photocopy5.jpg

jcusmarine

You should replace that branch piece with about 7 barnacles, imho

Lol. "jcusmarine's rimless starphire barnacle land build thread", dedicated to illu of course.

Are you thinking about any fish? I kinda want one of those barnacles for my clownfish. They look like awesome homes for fish. Where did you get those?

jcusmarine

Are you thinking about any fish? I kinda want one of those barnacles for my clownfish. They look like awesome homes for fish. Where did you get those?

They came from Vida Rock....http://aqua-tecture.com/?wpsc_product_category=vida-rock-accessory-pieces

Thanks.

Regarding fish I have always planned on a pair of Black Clowns. I love clownfish, their personality and movement. I may also add a cleaner shrimp but I want to start with the clowns and access bio-load. I had a pair of Oscellaris for many years so this time going with the black Oscellaris for a change up. I am not a huge fan of all the designer clowns, although some of them are cool of course. The Black Phantom's come to mind and I have seen some Picasso's that were nice. I am going to buck the trend and go straight up Black Oscellaris unless I see some clowns that I just have to get.

Archived