Cultivated Reef

jcusmarine's PicO S III Starphire Rimless Lagoon Build

jcusmarine

jcusmarine

After a two year break from the hobby, I am returning with a shallow rimless nano build.

Tank Specs: 12.5 Gallon Shallow 18x18x9 PicO S III w/ Starphire Glass and Starphire Glass Top

http://picoaquariums.com/en/pico-s-s...ico-s-iii.html

Lights: AI Nano Super Blue (Black) w/new controller

Stand: Modern Espresso 18x18x34 w/Marble Top

Still working on the other equipment spec but the rest is on order.

Glad to be getting back into the water.

Will post pics as soon as the tank arrives. I have the AI Nano just sitting there looking sorry for itself.

LATEST FTS:

image-15.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jcusmarine

Equipment specs:

SpectraPure® CSP RO/DI System w/ Manual Flush - 40 GPD

Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 75 Watt Aquarium Heater w/ LED Display

Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump/Powerhead 240gph (May upgrade to MP10 after cycle)

Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand 10 lb

Two Little Fishies NanoMag

Vida Rock Branch AT355

Tunze Nano Osmo ATO

Nice!! Looking forward to your build. Just a heads up I had a 75w neotherm and it couldn't keep up with my tank. Ambient room temp is low to mid 70's (so cal), it may work out for you but I had to go up to 100w.

jcusmarine

Thanks man!

Just did the Mac OSX update of the new AI nano controller and it went flawlessly.

Trying to keep myself occupied playing with all the EQ to help me be patient. I can't wait for the aquarium to ship!

dhartmann

You are going to love it. You sound a lot like me, I had a biocube 14 about 4 years ago and had no idea what I was doing, that and having three kids drove me to sell it. Fast forward to present day and I am really enjoying getting back into it with my PicO II. Buying the best equipment you can afford and being patient is a luxury I did not have 4 years ago...makes a difference. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures along with the other members of club PicO :)

jcusmarine

Funny you mention that. I too sold my previous setup. Was moving house and had a 1 year old and I had no idea how much I would regret it. Had no idea what I was doing....

My previous setup was awesome. My few tanks before we're representative of my knowledge at the time. After over a decade in the hobby with a two year layoff I will make sure this PicO is perfect.

My daughter is 3 now and we can enjoy the hobby together.

jcusmarine

My old setups, oldest to newest...ahh, memories.....

The same clownfish were in all the setups. Had the pair for 12 years or so.

My 55 Gallon:

tankoctober006.jpg

_test009.jpg

My old 28 JBJ:

2ndattempNovember1Tank026.jpg

My Last tank before this.....45 Gallon Custom LED Cube (I was an early adopter of the first US Maxspect LED's):

Cubeupandrunning2007-1.jpgJuly31FTS.jpg

Deleted User 4

Here is the stand with mat, ready for the aquarium to arrive.....

photo.jpg

Nice. Where did you get this stand? Thanks

jcusmarine

It took me forever to come up with an 18x18 stand. Almost went custom built, but then I had an idea to search for bathroom cabinets. After hours of searching using different search terms I found this stand alone unit on EBay, water resistant finish no less with the marble top - sweet.

Worth noting I could not see in the image but when it arrived the edge of the marble was tapered in the front and so the leading edge of the PicO would have nothing to rest on. So, I went to HD and bought some hardwood to make up an extra 5/8 inch on the back and stained it to match. Now the tank will have support. Added the yoga mat to be 100% sure the weight is distributed correctly.

Message me if you want me to find a link to the seller.

jcusmarine

Yeah. It's a perfect 18x18 slab of Marble with a taper, now with a 5/8 inch extension on the back in wood but luckily you really don't notice. Especially since I stained the wood to match so it does not stand out. I am happy and it saved building from scratch. It is pre-built and solid, way sturdier than most aquarium self assembly stands.

jcusmarine

Nice branch piece. Did they send you two free barnacles!? I only got one and my centerpiece was broken when I received it! lol

Sorry to hear, yes - they sent a free barnacle which was a nice surprise. I had several in my cart but removed them to conserve cash and when I opened the box and saw the freebie! Sweet. The packing was well done. I was a little worried about damage. I have everything except the PicO now, which should ship in a few days or so, just before I travel for work.

Nothing a little (lot) of superglue didn't fix. I was surprised, because like you say, the packaging was well done. My piece was fully spray-foamed. The VidaRock barnacles look better then real barnacles imo :happy:

You going to wait to start the tank until after your trip or are you going to start the cycle and see what you come back to?

jcusmarine

Not sure on when to start since Chris may ship the PicO Friday or Monday and I don't know how long it will take to arrive, nor have I confirmed my work schedule. Trying to hold off until I have an ETA on the tank so I can be here for its arrival.

Archived