Cultivated Reef

hokiefisherman

hokiefisherman

Does anyone have any experience with this particular kind of clam? I was looking at getting one, but want to know what I am getting in to. I was going to purchase one larger than 2" to eliminate supplemental feeding. Would a T5HO with 216W over a 55gal be adequate lighting for them, and if so how should I acclimate it to the light?

Deresa clams are by far the easiest to keep, and require less light than any other Tridacnid, so you are fine. Don't worry about feeding it, you don't have to. Feed your fish well, as their waste is the best clam food, and maintain low levels of nitrate. Not zero, but 1 - 2 ppm.

and enjoy because they can outlive even YOU.

=))

icedearth15324

I've had a Deresa in my 12 gallon for about 2.5 months and I've seen about half an inch in growth so far. I don't ever feed it, unless it sucks up the cyclopeeze I feed my tank.

I've had a Deresa in my 12 gallon for about 2.5 months and I've seen about half an inch in growth so far. I don't ever feed it, unless it sucks up the cyclopeeze I feed my tank.

THey can eat Cyclops, indeed. Lots of people think they can only eat phyto, but they are just as good as eating zooplankton and small crustaceans ( Fatheree).

I've had my derasa in my BC14 for about 2 months and I've also seen about .3/8" growth. When it closes up I can see the new shell growth. Pretty cool. Never feed it directly and it is doing great!

Archived