ReefCleaners.org

DIY Oxydator experiment.

Islandoftiki

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

Sorry, the oxydator experiment got put on hold for a short while while I organized and transferred a tank with a peacock mantis to our home. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/325983-islandoftikis-peacock-mantis/

Both oxydators are still running with smaller catalyst pieces (and a few less bubbles) and still going well after about 4 days like that. No pH changes for those of you wondering, but I think we already established that O2 levels shouldn't really affect the pH.

• 1 year later...
Islandoftiki

OK guys any updates on either DIY Oxydator's or Oxydator's themselves?

I used the oxydator for a couple months on the 2 gallon pest tank and saw results. Nothing earth shattering, but a number of positive improvements, water clarity improved, less algae on the glass, etc.

One thing I did learn is that I'm lazy and forgetful, so I kept forgetting to refresh the hydrogen peroxide consistently. At that time I had about 5 tanks running. I learned that two tanks is my maximum, and in the future, I'll probably stick with one single high end tank that has all of the automated bells and whistles on it so I don't have to do as much maintenance.

Regardless of my laziness, I do think this is a helpful addition to a pico tank. However, all of my current tanks have skimmers, so I don't think this is a really necessary addition for those tanks, they get plenty of aeration.

I used the oxydator for a couple months on the 2 gallon pest tank and saw results. Nothing earth shattering, but a number of positive improvements, water clarity improved, less algae on the glass, etc.

One thing I did learn is that I'm lazy and forgetful, so I kept forgetting to refresh the hydrogen peroxide consistently. At that time I had about 5 tanks running. I learned that two tanks is my maximum, and in the future, I'll probably stick with one single high end tank that has all of the automated bells and whistles on it so I don't have to do as much maintenance.

Regardless of my laziness, I do think this is a helpful addition to a pico tank. However, all of my current tanks have skimmers, so I don't think this is a really necessary addition for those tanks, they get plenty of aeration.

Thank's for your reply and your input. However a Oxydator does much more than just aerate the tank and will work with a skimmer not meant to replace it. Good to hear you noticed positive results when using it.

I should refresh the peroxide in my oxidator also I guess.

You should try to remember to do it weekly along with whatever other maintenance you do at the same time. Just top it up if not empty.

albertthiel

oh! I did not know that.

It is a good way not to forget to refill it .. I do the same that way there is always peroxide in the Oxydator

So has anyone seen noticeable improvements on corals, algae and clarity over long term?

In a word yes, I have and others have reported similar in the past. The odd few have reported they noticed no difference but the vast majority on the various forums I am on both here and the UK have all but the odd couple very complimentary and have reported various corals as showing better polyp extension and general improvement in health. Not only corals but fish as well. As in improved coloration and activity. Of course none of these have been done in laboratory conditions etc just general observations since adding an Oxydator.

Thank you for telling me, I've never refreshed the peroxide in my oxidator. Been a year I think. :blush:

It's only the catalysts that are ever lasting more or les,s the peroxide is broken down to O2 and water which is expelled into the aquarium water. Your Oxydator will have been empty anything from around 7 to 14 days depending on the strength of peroxide used the number of catalysts and a few other factors.

It's only the catalysts that are ever lasting more or les,s the peroxide is broken down to O2 and water which is expelled into the aquarium water. Your Oxydator will have been empty anything from around 7 to 14 days depending on the strength of peroxide used the number of catalysts and a few other factors.

I'm glad I know this now. Thank you.

In a word yes, I have and others have reported similar in the past. The odd few have reported they noticed no difference but the vast majority on the various forums I am on both here and the UK have all but the odd couple very complimentary and have reported various corals as showing better polyp extension and general improvement in health. Not only corals but fish as well. As in improved coloration and activity. Of course none of these have been done in laboratory conditions etc just general observations since adding an Oxydator.

Assuming I understood this correctly. ORP would be the form of measurement for our oxydator and how it effects the aquaria.

Assuming I understood this correctly. ORP would be the form of measurement for our oxydator and how it effects the aquaria.

In terms of actual measurement then ORP and the white card test would given you the hard data. However IMO the best test kits we possess are our own eyes.

In terms of actual measurement then ORP and the white card test would given you the hard data. However IMO the best test kits we possess are our own eyes.

I am going to try this on my 20, is there a recommended catalyzer size for different tank sizes? I will probably go with 6%

I am going to try this on my 20, is there a recommended catalyzer size for different tank sizes? I will probably go with 6%

Nope all the catalysts are the same size however you can use more than one. I would start with just the one catalysts. Which Oxydator are you thinking of going to use? .

Nope all the catalysts are the same size however you can use more than one. I would start with just the one catalysts. Which Oxydator are you thinking of going to use? .

Most likely a DIY one with food grade 6% H2O2 and a catalyzer. I am not sure what the catalyzer should be though besides lead and brass

Most likely a DIY one with food grade 6% H2O2 and a catalyzer. I am not sure what the catalyzer should be though besides lead and brass

I have yet to see a DIY one that works as well as the real Oxydator. They either put too much O2 into the water or not enough and or the right size bubbles. I would not use lead as a catalyst but I know people have used small items of brass like a drawing pin head.

I have yet to see a DIY one that works as well as the real Oxydator. They either put too much O2 into the water or not enough and or the right size bubbles. I would not use lead as a catalyst but I know people have used small items of brass like a drawing pin head.

I didn't even realize there was a company. It looks like all their products are on backorder as of today so I will order one. I will go with the D one.

My question is how does the oxydator not leak. It doesn't look like theres a seal or anything, the ceramic must not let liquid through.

I am sorry to have to say forget the US seller as they have never had any for sale for a very long time. Albert has tried to contact them with little success. With the "D" model the cap makes the seal. With the "A" model a small locking plug you pour the peroxide through makes the seal. There is just a pin hole the O2 escapes through.

I didn't even realize there was a company. It looks like all their products are on backorder as of today so I will order one. I will go with the D one.

My question is how does the oxydator not leak. It doesn't look like theres a seal or anything, the ceramic must not let liquid through.

I am sorry to have to say forget the US seller as they have never had any for sale for a very long time. Albert has tried to contact them with little success. With the "D" model the cap makes the seal. With the "A" model a small locking plug you pour the peroxide through makes the seal. There is just a pin hole the O2 escapes through.

Any idea where I can get one then?

Try Ebay UK and seahorse breeder (same person) many from the US have ordered from Adrian aka seahorse breeder. I wilk be away for the weekend and may not be able to post until my return.

Archived