SaltCritters.com

DIY Oxydator experiment.

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

Oh yeah, and even at a mere 7% concentration, here's what hydrogen peroxide does to your skin...

It turns it white.

7830D453-orig_zpse0d2b4f0.jpg

Hand lotion more or less mitigates the white marks.

Half an hour later, all marks have vanished.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel

Oh yeah, and even at a mere 7% concentration, here's what hydrogen peroxide does to your skin...

It turns it white.

Hand lotion more or less mitigates the white marks.

Half an hour later, all marks have vanished.

Yes and that was only at 7% !

Hydrogen peroxide is a bleach what do you expect putting or getting bleach on your skin. :P Try 35% see and feel the difference. :lol:

having said that people do drink it although GREATLY diluted down. It's also used to disinfect, clean wounds and bleach hair that's where the term bleached blond comes from. ;)

You got to love the stuff though. :)

albertthiel

Basically, peroxide will F up your day, don't play around with it. :P

Not if used properly Ben .... as in the Oxydators ...

Hydrogen peroxide is a bleach what do you expect putting or getting bleach on your skin. :P Try 35% see and feel the difference. :lol:

having said that people do drink it although GREATLY diluted down. It's also used to disinfect, clean wounds and bleach hair that's where the term bleached blond comes from. ;)

You got to love the stuff though. :)

Drink Drink Bruderlein Drink ... as the German song goes :)

albertthiel

Thought Brandon posted something about Niacin ... but I guess the post was deleted ..

And as he said ... oh yes it makes you turn red and hot .... that's for sure ... :-o

Islandoftiki

Ok, so the super fizzy Oxydator used up all of the H202 in about 3 days. That was obviously overkill in terms of the number of bubbles. Also, I want to try to get the bubbles even smaller than you get with the limewood air stone. Obviously the amount of pressure that can be generated by the reaction could feed a more restrictive air stone. Does anybody know of an air stone material that would make even smaller bubbles?

albertthiel

Ok, so the super fizzy Oxydator used up all of the H202 in about 3 days. That was obviously overkill in terms of the number of bubbles. Also, I want to try to get the bubbles even smaller than you get with the limewood air stone. Obviously the amount of pressure that can be generated by the reaction could feed a more restrictive air stone. Does anybody know of an air stone material that would make even smaller bubbles?

Try an oak one but that will require a lot of pressure to get the O2 to get through the oak wood but it is worth trying I think.

I saw this thread the other day and realized I had all the stuff at home to set up one of these for my 10g.

I tossed one together using 3% peroxide and a crappy plastic airstone. Its been running for about 24h and my water definitely looks much clearer. The bubbles are HUGE, but I've put the stone so they end up getting blown by the powerhead which breaks them up a bit.

Thanks a lot for the info on these, I would never have thought of this.

That IMO is not your main problem with your DIY Oxydator. IMO its the fact the O2 is exiting out the top and the H2O is left behind diluting the remaining peroxide. I doubt you will find anything to make bubbles as small as that produced by my Oxydator some bubbles (if you can call them bubbles) you just cannot see they are so small. When a bubble hits the waters surface its not being used efficiently and a lot of the O2 is lost into the atmosphere. With my Oxydator I can witness tiny bubbles exit it and leave it horizontally as well as some leaving it vertically. To be supper efficient you need to produce bubbles that will migrate around the aquarium as the Oxydators do rather then quickly reach the surface and pop. Size of bubble and contact time is what you need to aim for as well as solubility of the O2 into the aquarium water.

Quote "Ok, so the super fizzy Oxydator used up all of the H202 in about 3 days. That was obviously overkill in terms of the number of bubbles. Also, I want to try to get the bubbles even smaller than you get with the limewood air stone. Obviously the amount of pressure that can be generated by the reaction could feed a more restrictive air stone. Does anybody know of an air stone material that would make even smaller bubbles?"

Albert you have fast eyes. I did post about my friend getting me good by giving me niacin tabs when i didnt know what it would do to me and how I thought a little peroxide 15% in a hand sanitizer would be a funny get back. :) then I erased due to youths on the site but I guess its nothing they couldnt find online anyway lol

I think it might be worth trying out a co2 bell used in planted tanks for extra diffusion time

will the op please add some mentos to the soda pop bottle Im dying to see what happens. please use a robotic arm remote delivery system and rope off your street before proceeding.

What about feeding the output of the DIY Oxydator into the intake of a powerhead to "chop" the bubbles up? I mean, most of us have something like that in the tank already...

Very fascinated by this.

albertthiel

That IMO is not your main problem with your DIY Oxydator. IMO its the fact the O2 is exiting out the top and the H2O is left behind diluting the remaining peroxide. I doubt you will find anything to make bubbles as small as that produced by my Oxydator some bubbles (if you can call them bubbles) you just cannot see they are so small. When a bubble hits the waters surface its not being used efficiently and a lot of the O2 is lost into the atmosphere. With my Oxydator I can witness tiny bubbles exit it and leave it horizontally as well as some leaving it vertically. To be supper efficient you need to produce bubbles that will migrate around the aquarium as the Oxydators do rather then quickly reach the surface and pop. Size of bubble and contact time is what you need to aim for as well as solubility of the O2 into the aquarium water.

Quote "Ok, so the super fizzy Oxydator used up all of the H202 in about 3 days. That was obviously overkill in terms of the number of bubbles. Also, I want to try to get the bubbles even smaller than you get with the limewood air stone. Obviously the amount of pressure that can be generated by the reaction could feed a more restrictive air stone. Does anybody know of an air stone material that would make even smaller bubbles?"

I think that all the DIY ones will basically generate the O2 reaction and one will see bubbles in the tank, but the key IMO is what you are saying Les and that is are those bubbles actually dissolving in the water and raising the O2 saturation level ... I am sure that the DIY ones do, maybe not as well as the real ones, but the issue is the one you point out and that is that since the water from the breakdown is not released but stays in the container used, the H2O2 gets more and more diluted as the water generated mixes with the H2O2 ,,, and so slowly but surely the reactive effect will diminish .... and eventually stop.

I have not figured out yet how the oxydator from Sochting manages to release the water so that the level in side the container goes down and down, but that "bell" shaped part at the bottom has to be part of it ..

If one could duplicate that in a DIY unit then one would basically get close to what the real ones do ..

FWIW

Albert

albertthiel

Albert you have fast eyes. I did post about my friend getting me good by giving me niacin tabs when i didnt know what it would do to me and how I thought a little peroxide 15% in a hand sanitizer would be a funny get back. :) then I erased due to youths on the site but I guess its nothing they couldnt find online anyway lol

Well I saw the notification but then when I logged in to NR the message was not there, so I figured you deleted it ... but you are right all that info is obviously available on the Net ... and indeed Niacin can give you a serious flush ... but I think that is really all it does, I am not familiar with effects of what certain compounds do when take in excess and to be honest I do not really want to know as it is not the kind of info that I am interested in .. never have been, never will ...

But the hand sanitizer improved with H2O2 would have given that friend a shock for sure :-o

Albert

What about feeding the output of the DIY Oxydator into the intake of a powerhead to "chop" the bubbles up? I mean, most of us have something like that in the tank already...

Very fascinated by this.

I guess you could try that indeed and see how well it dissolves the O2 in the water and if you do, keep us posted pls ... thanks ...

This is a very informative thread :)

I was wondering if there are any potential problems with running one of these. I am now concidering building one for my 29 gallon BioCube. But I would like to know if there are any real risks involved before I dive in.

Also many have made referace to a bought oxydator, but I have been unable to find on line. Anyone know where to look :)

Hooking one up to deliver gas into your tank has no documented injury to anything

The liquid itself can kill in tank if used incorrectly, used correctly its great. The danger exists to your eyes when using higher dilutions

If it doesn't work in this thread, no harm w be done it just won't kill algae due to lack of orp boost.

Here is a rough sketch (OK VERY rough sketch) of a DIY Oxydator a friend of mine made some years ago which seemed to work for him OK. You might need to weight it down with a rock placed on it but if the jar is made of glass you may not need to. The pin hole needs to be just that and the catalyst was a brass pin head as I recall.

DIYOxydator.jpg

albertthiel

Here is a rough sketch (OK VERY rough sketch) of a DIY Oxydator a friend of mine made some years ago which seemed to work for him OK. You might need to weight it down with a rock placed on it but if the jar is made of glass you may not need to. The pin hole needs to be just that and the catalyst was a brass pin head as I recall.

DIYOxydator.jpg

Thanks Les ...

Curious to see the parameters after 24 hours. especially the ph sorry I am stuck on Ph guys because introducing that much o2 should raise your ph some and stabilize it.

albertthiel

Curious to see the parameters after 24 hours. especially the ph sorry I am stuck on Ph guys because introducing that much o2 should raise your ph some and stabilize it.

Have not seen any major change in the pH in my 20 ... Maybe others can chime in and let us know what they found ... TKS

O2 doesn't affect pH it's only an oxidizer.

Good read : http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/water/oxygen/oxygen-and-water.htm

I wonder if you could slow the reaction by changing not only the size, but the material of the catalyst.

Islandoftiki

O2 doesn't affect pH it's only an oxidizer. Good read : http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/water/oxygen/oxygen-and-water.htm I wonder if you could slow the reaction by changing not only the size, but the material of the catalyst.

Yeah, I'm sure different metals have different reaction rates. I'm sure just making the catalyst smaller will do the trick. I have a much smaller catalyst in the 2 gallon tank and it's still making bubbles.

albertthiel

Yeah, I'm sure different metals have different reaction rates. I'm sure just making the catalyst smaller will do the trick. I have a much smaller catalyst in the 2 gallon tank and it's still making bubbles.

Use a lower concentration and a smaller or less of a catalyst and the reaction will not be as strong as what we saw ... but you still have the issue that after a day or two or three the reaction will stop because as the peroxide gets diluted eventually the reactivity is no longer there and the O2 production will stop .. but then this is more of other readers as I know that islandoftiki knows this

Albert

The size and materials the catalyst is made of will affect O2 production. The Oxydators catalysts are made of ceramic of some sort and impregnated with silver.

On the issue of PH the makers of the Oxydator say it's use does not affect the PH of the aquarium. In my 20 plus years using Oxydator's I have never seen any evidence that any of the Oxydator's I have use have had any noticeable affect on PH.

Les.

sorry slightly off topic but have you guys thought of using the same setup to produce pure oxygen for shipping corals and fish? Seems like itd be perfect for that

and doesnt this release h2o2 vapor into the tank as well? I know its dissociating into water and oxygen but theres still some in vapor form mixed in there right?

Archived