Cultivated Reef

Carter's PicO S III

CarterNichols

CarterNichols

As you can see from the picture, these are a maroon color, but they have a bit of florescent green to them under the actinic lighting.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CarterNichols

Got a refractometer and discovered my salinity is crazy low! Not sure how everything is surviving but I am trying to correct everything now. I'm assuming I shouldn't do a large water change to correct the salinity but more of a gradual correction.

Passaggper

Got a refractometer and discovered my salinity is crazy low! Not sure how everything is surviving but I am trying to correct everything now. I'm assuming I shouldn't do a large water change to correct the salinity but more of a gradual correction.

What refractometer? How low is it?

Make sure it's correct before you start making big changes in your system. Carefully calibrate it, test it on RO/DI and NSW, and post the results here :)

CarterNichols

It was a matter of calibration it seems. It was reading at 1.021but the tank is actually at 1.023 so not as big of a crisis as I thought.

Oh ok, well at least it wasn't as low as you thought. I calibrate my refractometer every other water change, never hurts to be 100% sure.

timothybui

I haven't used my hydrometer for months. And continue to do water changes every 2-3 weeks.

I had a hydrometer.. Never used it.

CarterNichols

I can not, for the life of me, tell how the water level is changing in the tank. I feel like it only goes down in chamber 2 and 3 in the back, not the display or chamber one. Any PicO owners have any tips on this? I need to get an auto top off but it will be a few days.

On mine if you move the bio baffle it definitely changes the dt water level.

It rather is. From my excessive laziness.

Which is why your trying to build a tank that will pretty much maintain itself. Reefing isn't for the lazy lol.

CarterNichols

Which is why your trying to build a tank that will pretty much maintain itself. Reefing isn't for the lazy lol.

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant when water evaporates. Without an ATO I have to top off myself but I am having trouble establishing a reference.

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant when water evaporates. Without an ATO I have to top off myself but I am having trouble establishing a reference.

Oh ok, sorry i misunderstood. Maybe try putting a magnetic algae scraper, or something like it, in the last chamber as a water level marker. You could use tape, but i probably wouldn't want it sitting in the water lol.

CarterNichols

Oh ok, sorry i misunderstood. Maybe try putting a magnetic algae scraper, or something like it, in the last chamber as a water level marker. You could use tape, but i probably wouldn't want it sitting in the water lol.

Good idea, I have an extra mag float sitting around

My chamber 3 has that viewing window Chris talked about. I just keep the window submerged as a reference point (I think this is the intended purpose of the window, right? Showing evaporation?)

Good idea, I have an extra mag float sitting around

I think that would be your best bet until you get that ato installed.

My chamber 3 has that viewing window Chris talked about. I just keep the window submerged as a reference point (I think this is the intended purpose of the window, right? Showing evaporation?)

But with our nifty auto top off systems we don't deal with evaporation!! (lol jk)

Deleted User 4

Lolol true....I try to make it easy as much as it can be ahah.

CarterNichols

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-nano-3152-auto-top-off.html

Link above shows the current ATO that I'm using on my S III. So far, I'm loving it. Very easy to install and nothing to worry about (yet).

Was thinking about going with autotopoff.com but didn't know that the tunze came with a pump. Seems like a sleek and safe option as most other ATO use two sensors to protect from overflow instead of just one.

Red_Blenny

I use a 1gal watter bottle and use that as a ATO. Not bulletproof but it gets the job done...

Also, I just realized... Do you watch Battlestar Galactica (Re-Imaged)?

Archived