Pod Your Reef

Carter's PicO S III

CarterNichols

Deleted User 4

It fogs up due to humidity between the water and glass.

This.....I had the same exact problem....not only does it fog up...but permanent water stains will grow not only on the top glass cover but also the top inward portions(exposed to air) of the side glass..

So best way to avoid this is to not use the glass cover....I had a glass cover for the picO as well.

I had to make sure I not repeat the same mistake with my latest rimless setup...diy mesh looks ugly. So if anything, I would go with picO clear mesh covers...but your cat...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CarterNichols

This.....I had the same exact problem....not only does it fog up...but permanent water stains will grow not only on the top glass cover but also the top inward portions(exposed to air) of the side glass..

So best way to avoid this is to not use the glass cover....I had a glass cover for the picO as well.

I had to make sure I not repeat the same mistake with my latest rimless setup...diy mesh looks ugly. So if anything, I would go with picO clear mesh covers...but your cat...

Might just take it to a local glass shop and have them drill vents in it.

Deleted User 4

Might just take it to a local glass shop and have them drill vents in it.

Yeah...how much you think that will cost?

CarterNichols

Yeah...how much you think that will cost?

I can imagine it costing too much. I'd be supplying the glass and I am sure it'd take 20 minutes to put 4-5 vents in the top.

Deleted User 4

I can imagine it costing too much. I'd be supplying the glass and I am sure it'd take 20 minutes to put 4-5 vents in the top.

Yeah....good luck with that man. Can't wait to see this tank stocked.

Haha it's not that hard it just takes time and a steady hand. If/when you do it, make sure you keep water running over the area you are drilling and do not put pressure on the drill, let the weight of it do the drilling.

PicO Aquariums

There is a window in the back for a refugium light. Just not on the side for the water level.

I quit pre cutting the viewing window on the side to give the end user a choice if they wanted it or not.

It can be cut using a razor and a straight edge.

Simply cut along the straight edge making a rectangle opening and peel back the vinyl to expose the chamber.

Once I get the stands and overflows done I will be working on a new setup guide for all the tanks.

Sorry for the confusion guys.

CarterNichols

I quit pre cutting the viewing window on the side to give the end user a choice if they wanted it or not.

It can be cut using a razor and a straight edge.

Simply cut along the straight edge making a rectangle opening and peel back the vinyl to expose the chamber.

Once I get the stands and overflows done I will be working on a new setup guide for all the tanks.

Sorry for the confusion guys.

This is why I'm happy I went with PicO. I doubt you could find similar customer service to this.

Thanks for the tip Chris. What do you think about potentially cutting vents in the top glass cover? Can it be done?

PicO Aquariums

Drilling holes yes. I'm not sure it would solve the issue though.

Ideally the glass covers should be cleaned weekly with your water change to prevent any etching but the condensation is going to occur either way.

I offer the glass covers because it is what a lot of customers ask for but admittedly I am not a big fan of them.

I feel there is a lot more to gain by running with a open or mesh top.

In your case with the cat I would just solve the problem with a big dog :lol:

kidding.... i'm sure I could figure out a braced version of the mesh top that would be more cat friendly/proof.

CarterNichols

In your case with the cat I would just solve the problem with a big dog :lol:

kidding.... i'm sure I could figure out a braced version of the mesh top that would be more cat friendly/proof.

Ha trust me, I agree. My girlfriend insists on the cats presence.

Please let me know if you come up with something, because I would be seriously interested in that. More than willing to be a test dummy for the cat proof mesh top. I feel like something resembling a square tennis racket would be ideal. Something that could be secured to the side like the glass top is but with high tension mesh wires that wouldn't snap under like 10 pounds of pressure. Although I think the mesh alone will be enough to keep the cats from trying to get on top.

CarterNichols

I will work something out and PM you a few pics.

Thanks a lot!

Better pictures!

L0iIAO3.jpg

k26M7kl.jpg

yS07pTu.jpg

FvgUD3Y.jpg

Deleted User 4

Love the rock work. ^Agree with Chris/picO

Btw, is that a mushroom attached to the live rock on the front right side?

If it is, you should probably exterminate it.

CarterNichols

Nice Rock work!

Love the rock work. ^Agree with Chris/picO

Btw, is that a mushroom attached to the live rock on the front right side?

If it is, you should probably exterminate it.

Thanks guys! It is a mushroom, why should I kill it? I don't know anything about it.

Deleted User 4

Thanks guys! It is a mushroom, why should I kill it? I don't know anything about it.

Lol...well, for most reefers out there. They consider it nuisance...because it grows big and quick and is more likely to over reproduce in massive quantities...but you can keep it if you want. :)

Just better hope it doesn't take over the tank.

CarterNichols

Lol...well, for most reefers out there. They consider it nuisance...because it grows big and quick and is more likely to over reproduce in massive quantities...but you can keep it if you want. :)

Just better hope it doesn't take over the tank.

It's been on that rock for a few months now. I guess the light in the fluval edge didn't really allow it to grow. I will keep an eye on it.

Deleted User 4

Not all mushrooms will become pests like IIX is saying.

He has the common one though. That one is known to grow faster than other mushroom species (rhodactis, ricordia).

CarterNichols

I think I may be killing it with my light. I haven't fine tuned my lights yet and have them peaking at 55%

Deleted User 4

I think I may be killing it with my light. I haven't fine tuned my lights yet and have them peaking at 55%

Peak higher for better results...or not....because those kinds are hardy as hell...Strong lights might make it grow faster if anything lmao....

Also they normally show immense growth when the water is more established, so may not show much for the 1st few months, but once it starts it starts alright lol.

Red_Blenny

The aquascaping is clean. I have those 'common mushrooms' IIX is talking about and they're not doing so good due to high lighting (4X T5s)

Deleted User 4

The aquascaping is clean. I have those 'common mushrooms' IIX is talking about and they're not doing so good due to high lighting (4X T5s)

Nice, I use to have those common green mushrooms in my 1st saltwater tank (10g cheap china made curved glass lmao) and they grew quick. Was running under t-5's.

Archived