Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

7.5g Deep Blue Rimless

MikeTR

Interesting, I wonder if they increased the potency. I treated my 20 when I moved it to a 29 and did the 4X dose ... lots of dead flatworms. My blue clove polyps have been looking odd ever since so I bet you're right that they tend to spawn after FWE.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to keep my eye on them to see if they do. Maybe just the toxins pissing everything off, there was a couple piles of yellow melted mush on the sandbed.

Tank looks great Mike, what kind of lighting are you using?

Thanks.. hopefully it still does after the fw exit. I'm using the deep blue solarflare 5 x 3w led. It's not super great, but it does the job and it's sleek.

I see. Well, good luck on that. Is it possible to get one that's more blue or is that the only version they have?

Dumb q but what happens if we let the flatworms go?

they're smothering my zoas. find a recent fts and look at the front 2 rocks.

Corals looked stressed when I got home from work. Did a 50% water exchange and that helped a bit. Sadly another dose will be needed in a week or so after everything recovers.

Wanna just buy a six-line to eat it all up?

No, that never works and the people who say it does I swear are lying. :) Seriously, it may work 10% of the time but I've been through 2 now and neither one liked them. I added a yellow tail damsel to my 40 and after the last big FWE treatment it has appeared to be flatworm free, but if you zoom in close you see very tiny flatworms here and there, which probably means he's eating the larger ones.

Only real cure, IMO, is 3 or 4 consecutive treatments to kill all flatworms and all newly hatched flatworms.

First off let me say your tank is beautiful.

I found that if I do a flatworm exit every 3 days for a couple of weeks you can get rid of most of them. I usually dose my tank then watch to see when they start dieing. Once I see just a couple floating I take an air hose tube and start a very slow water change. I know in a tank with a sump you can use a fine mesh bag and siphon the water through it right into the sump. http://www.melevsreef.biz/node/651 One other thing I do is fill a small hob full of carbon and run that afterwards overnight at least, If I am dosing a tank with a sump I put it in the middle chamber, I found it actually works to clean out the chambers of the sump.

I have had the best luck with a blue devil eating flatworms better than any sixline I have had.

I hope that flatworm exit don't make blue cloves spawn.

Latest update on the tank. Things aren't looking so sad anymore and most everything should be back to normal in a day or two. The only real impact was on some green striped candy canes which lost some tissue on the outer skeleton. They weren't super happy under the LEDs to begin with. Also have some green zoas that haven't reopened yet either. They were the ones completely covered in FW's so I'm sure they'll need some time to readjust.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything recovered well, just in time to dose again, only 1 drop more than the directed dose this time. This tank is fixin to be amazing, :ninja: though I need a new light.. nano box here I come.

custom nano mini tide on ordahhh... yuuhh.. Triple dosed the fw exit and waited a few hours.. I know I said I'd follow the directions.. :rolleyes: then gave the tank a good deep cleaning and 3 gallon wc.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived