Coral Vue Hydros

ALNs-Piece of reef

ALNN

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lnglostsurfer

Most likely detritus, forms kind of a dust over everything. Pretty much no getting around it in a new tank. As long as you have a decent cleanup crew it should start clearing up and whenever you do your next water change just hit it with the turkey baster to suspend it then suction it all out. Nothing to worry about at all. Good deal on getting rid of the cyano though, I'm actually cutting my light cycle back quite a bit too from some bad algae so maybe I'll actually update my thread again too...

im guessing my CUC isnt really big enough atm..with 4 nass snails and 3 ceriths lol... i'll be getting more :P

lnglostsurfer

It might be for the future, but all tanks have somewhat of an outbreak of detritus after the cycle is over and as you start adding new things. It should subside slowly. You'll never completely get rid of it, just normal tank maintenance will control it though. (#1 reason people use turkey basters)

i c :D i do like the baster tho :D i siphoned some out yesterday and when all the corals close for bed i blast the rocks and the sand lightly to not to stir up the sand bed and let the overflow suck it up a bit.

Went to SUM (local shop) to get a few more snails and a brittle starfish then got some Chaeto from Reef Aquarium(local shop) :) love that place they're sps frags look soo healthy and tempting. The Brittle Starfish i got from SUM is around 4" from tip to tip, would that be to big for my tank?

when i got home i found out that the chaeto came with a little brittle star i believe and 2-3 STOMATELLA VARIA. that i found on the hitch hiker list
http://www.worldwidereefers.com/forums/showthread.php?4768-Hitchhiker-id-guide

no pictures yet tho.

andi.rahl

well brittle stars tend to find holes to sit in with their arms out....What kind of brittle is it? or color rather. Mine were red and white.

Pics soon, I hope? :D

mine is just the brownish colour one nothing fancy :P

i just hope it isnt to big, cause i want a yasha shirmp pair in the future dont want the brittle to take over

So here are finally some pictures :) used a guppy breeding box to hold the brittle star and chaeto in atm. Still thinking about added the brittle or not since its kind big. The other starfish that i thought was a brittle starfish might be a serpent star instead, not to sure, need to get a clear look at it.

but heres how the tank looks like atm (cloudy since i just blasted it with the turkey baster :P)

http://s210.photobucket.com/user/aL-n/media/20130508_185423_zps4f93c255.jpg.html'>20130508_185423_zps4f93c255.jpg
http://s210.photobucket.com/user/aL-n/media/20130508_185500_zps878acb3d.jpg.html'>20130508_185500_zps878acb3d.jpg
http://s210.photobucket.com/user/aL-n/media/20130508_190553_zps3c3177e9.jpg.html'>20130508_190553_zps3c3177e9.jpg
http://s210.photobucket.com/user/aL-n/media/20130508_190353_zpsb1d0fc48.jpg.html'>20130508_190353_zpsb1d0fc48.jpg

hmm is this size brittle star okay for my 5g tank?

also got the other testing kit for cal, pho, and dkh

awesome close up of the brittle star, but I would be really hesitant to keep it in such a small tank. I'd only get micro brittle stars since they stay relatively small.

http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?p=Q&lbc=liveaquaria&uid=915491212&ts=custom&w=brittle%20star&af=cat1:marineinverts&isort=score&method=and&ts=results

yeah...thats y i have it in the breeder box atm i was debating if it was the right move, i might send it back to the LFS

andi.rahl

yeah...thats y i have it in the breeder box atm i was debating if it was the right move, i might send it back to the LFS

I'd bring it back and see if they have some micros around somewhere, but that's just me. I'm curious what mine will do, when I get more, with an open top (I have the fluval edge and just removed the top so I could do things in it easier) since they always liked to hang out in the top corners at night.

i asked and they dont have any macro ones i believe, i'll have to call tomorrow and see if they will take it back for a credit or refund

andi.rahl

i asked and they dont have any macro ones i believe, i'll have to call tomorrow and see if they will take it back for a credit or refund

damn. if I still had my micros, I'd find a way to get them to you. x_x hopefully they'll give you at least a credit!

Why can brittle stars not be kept in a 5 gallon? :huh:

Its not that it cant, it was just way to big for my tank I thought, and I also have 1/2" starfish which im pretty sure is also a brittle star :)

That looks full sized already so it shouldn't be an issue. Green serpent stars are known to eat fish so if you do decide to swap it don't get one of those.

And yes that is a micro brittle (unless it starts growing, then it would just be a baby brittle ). :)

Why can brittle stars not be kept in a 5 gallon? :huh:
I didn't say they couldn't.I said that I wouldn't keep a regular size brittle star in a small tank. They can get really big from what i've seen. Thats why I posted the live aquaria link so he could decide for himself.

HOpefully it's a micro brittle - looks like the handful I had!

lnglostsurfer

Every time I've gotten live rock for past tanks I've ended up with the tiny brittle stars. Or serpent stars as I called them/heard them called. Not sure if there's a difference but they are awesome little additions to the clean up crew. The second you put food in the tank you'll see their little legs appear out from under the rock to swoop up whatever they can.

Archived