Top Shelf Aquatics

ALNs-Piece of reef

ALNN

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i know i shouldnt be thinking about this right now but i just want to plan for the future when i do see a good deal.This is about stocking the tank with fish. :P what can i put in a 5.5g? i know its very very limited and what i have in mind is probably a yasha gobie pair with a banded shrimp and a small clown (that will be moved to the 37g in fall or sold when to big for the tank)i was thinking a tank this size should be limited to 1 fish but since the gobie wont be swiming around much and will be burrowing more often i can give him a try.what are your thoughts on this? and any other recommandations? maybe a benny or some sort? :P
There's a thread somewhere on this site about stocking recommendations. Let me switch to my laptop and find it for you.

It's not about how much they swim, it's about how much food and poop you end up with in the tank.
Also not to contradict you, but swimming is also a bit of a factor. :P some small fish do need a ton of space.

You're welcome good sir.and thank you for not calling me new girl! I'll take shiny over that any day.

so, should I turn my 20g into a saltwater tank, too?

Hahaha y not?! more stocking options :D this summer im building a 37G already...well...more like finishing what i started 2 years ago :P i can finally finish the stand when its warmer outsider here in canada LOL

not much of an update but the snails are doing its job quickly and i can see that my dry macro rock is also getting some colour on it :D some green red and purple :)

will be on the hunt for coral now! and probably going to get another testing kit for cal since i will love to start growning a monti cap or even a small acro sps :P at the end of summer.

well i did my testing today and did a bit of maintenance.

Temp 78.2 (ranging from 78-80, 80 around afternoon)
PH- 8.0-8.2
SG of 1.024-5, i dunno y the sudden drop but im trying to get it back up to 1.026 -35ppt by the weekends. gradually topping off with ro water and saltwater
Amm- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0

So i guess my cycle is done! after 5 weeks! :) on the safe side, i believe it was done last week already.

Love the Kent marine scraper i got thatd 12"-24" my tank looks very clear now :D. one bad thing though...i knocked my gsp rock and it totally shifted places. Spent like 30mins getting it back into its spot...still seems off. Thats saltwater for you though. Also thinking about getting it a new spot in the tank when its starts growing so it doesn't invade my other rock.

Here are some picture :)
http://s210.photobucket.com/user/aL-n/media/20130423_204603_zpsa636c889.jpg.html'>20130423_204603_zpsa636c889.jpg

green red and purple :D ( photo a bit washed out
http://s210.photobucket.com/user/aL-n/media/20130423_204619_zps33f2f04c.jpg.html'>20130423_204619_zps33f2f04c.jpg

lnglostsurfer

Looks like you're ready for some goodies! Be careful how you have the rocks stacked, if they aren't stable snails can knock them down pretty easy, I've had it happen before. I've seen cases where rocks have broken glass from shifting. I've always done the stacking thing before but I just started rebuilding my tank and I'm slowly working on an epoxied rock scape. Have your star polyps still been opening like they were before? I'm really excited to see this thing stocked, love the rockwork in there. These fluval tanks are really starting to grow on me...

I want to do an epoxied scape, but it's hard with the opening of my tank. maybe when I move, I can glue them together in the empty tank, how I like them?

lnglostsurfer

Yeah, I think that's the only reason I don't like the edges. Really cool idea but as far as getting your hands in there and getting stuff done I feel like I would just get frustrated and throw it across the room haha. I'm actually measuring mine up now and I'm a little worried about how close it will be to the sides...might be tough to clean around. I'll figure something out though. With the stuff I have you can even do it underwater though. It's the JB Waterweld. I use it to attach my coral frags also. Great stuff to have laying around. Takes awhile to cure underwater but it does set up pretty well. I also use a little bit of super glue gel on either side of it to help things adhear.

oh, I wanted to. my fish died earlier (can't figure out why) and koralia blew its body under a freaking rock. so I had to move everything to get it out. I sometimes consider just giving away what little I have in it and chucking it in the garbage.

that sounds good...I need to look into that.

Well the middle piece is just one big rock I chiseled to get a "c" looking shape. Everything else is just small piecez of rock on eachother just incase I have coral growing to fast I can seperate it.

There is one little nook I couldnt clean with the kent scraper but a got a fine piece of cloth and just went in there with my hand and its all fixed.

Someone local have some plusing xenia and a pink monti cap I can pick up and try so im excited about that. Do you thinm I need to does for the monti? Sps intimidates me since im still nee in the game.

As for the gsp I see more polyp every day. Therr are around 30 polyp now I believe :D but after yesterday ill see if they will open up today

Well the middle piece is just one big rock I chiseled to get a "c" looking shape. Everything else is just small piecez of rock on eachother just incase I have coral growing to fast I can seperate it. There is one little nook I couldnt clean with the kent scraper but a got a fine piece of cloth and just went in there with my hand and its all fixed. Someone local have some plusing xenia and a pink monti cap I can pick up and try so im excited about that. Do you thinm I need to does for the monti? Sps intimidates me since im still nee in the game. As for the gsp I see more polyp every day. Therr are around 30 polyp now I believe :D but after yesterday ill see if they will open up today

I'm not sure. I was told just high up in the tank, decent flow - no one said anything about dosing. I have an undata that I've only had for 4 days now, but I personally love the tiny little flower like polyps of mine.

I'm sure they'll open as long as they didn't scrape off. They might be made for a bit, but hopefully most, if not all, will come back. Plus, gsp spreads quickly. the front of of my frag plug was covered, and after a few weeks the whole thing is. I'm waiting for it to start spreading onto the rock so that I can pull some of it off and place it somewhere else XD if it dies then I'll just buy more, it was pretty damn cheap.

take pics as soon as you get the xenia and monti? and damnit, I still need to get xenia, but I absolutely cannot find any locally for whatever reason.

I always loved the pulsing xenia :) really gives life to the tank :) jus picked up all my soldering equipment before work so hopefully this weekend im going to try out my lighting combonations :)

Ps undata is on my wishlist for the longest time! ! Are they hard to keep? Your just doing water changes to keep everything up?

lnglostsurfer

I've been keeping corals off and on for like 6 years now but never ventured into the world of SPS. Couldn't help you much there other than the general rule of thumb is to not dose for anything you don't test for. I've kept pretty much every type of softie and LPS that's in this hobby and never had to supplement, just regular water changes and feedings with a good light.

I always loved the pulsing xenia :) really gives life to the tank :) jus picked up all my soldering equipment before work so hopefully this weekend im going to try out my lighting combonations :) Ps undata is on my wishlist for the longest time! ! Are they hard to keep? Your just doing water changes to keep everything up?

I love it, it's so cute. You should get one, one day. So far it seems okay. I'm only doing water changes and watching it, really. I don't dose because as the other member mentioned, you shouldn't dose for something you don't test for. :) ugh falling asleep as I type this.

luke-skywalker-nooooo1.jpeg

LOLLL!!!! i'll have it on a seperate rock :P unless it starts spawning.....then frags for all! :D LOL

I love it, it's so cute. You should get one, one day. So far it seems okay. I'm only doing water changes and watching it, really. I don't dose because as the other member mentioned, you shouldn't dose for something you don't test for. :) ugh falling asleep as I type this.

LOL go sleep! stop staring at the tank late into the night like i do :P

Update:

Picked up my solder stuff since i cant find my old set, probably been 2-3 years ago when i was still in school. So i went to Sayal right when they open and picked up what i needed before work.

40W soldering iron, 22AWG black and white (soild wire), 63/37 tin/lead rosin core electrical solder

http://s210.photobucket.com/user/aL-n/media/20130424_213537_zpsd6551456.jpg.html'>20130424_213537_zpsd6551456.jpg

and im surprise that under the current light my GSP is doing pretty good (white and blue on at the same time) it looks plump so im guessing its healthy. The reason for it now growing faster or having longer polyp extension is probably cause the stock light is a bare minimum requirement.

As you can see there are alot more polyp :) and for sure they got bigger

http://s210.photobucket.com/user/aL-n/media/20130424_183532_zpsfd5cbb42.jpg.html'>20130424_183532_zpsfd5cbb42.jpg

lnglostsurfer

I've found a lot of corals can actually grow under almost any light. I had GSP and mushrooms and some really crappy zoas under a shop light when I first started a 55 gallon a long time ago and had no idea what I was doing. Once you get your fixture together it will look so much better though. The extra blue will really make it pop. There's something about green corals under the blues that always stand out.

seeing alot more green on the rocks, im kind of thinking if it might be green coraline algae or just algae LOL

i might put the tank in a blackout on saturday and then one sunday do a water change smile.gif other then that everything looks great and i cant wait until i get some coral

actually with my light fixture being weird I've had the light on less than normal -especially not on late at night, because I don't want algae to grow and take over.

Archived