Innovative Marine Aquariums

ALNs-Piece of reef

ALNN

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got some time this morning to do some tests and water top off before heading out.

6d4b2592-a74b-49e6-98ac-a8cf814aa9bb_zps

Temp - 80F
Salinity - 1.026sg - 34ppt i believe that's what i saw if i read it right :)
Amm- 0.25ppm
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 0

At least i know something is happening in the tank :)

how the tank looks now with the LR ( still need to do something about the background tho )
736b15e1-e85d-4f49-848f-e11d61901d29_zps

Is that GSP on the live rock?

I'm jealous of the tank. My wife just got a Spec V to set up a planted FW tank, and I convinced her to let me turn her old Chi into a reef, but I'd really rather have gotten the Spec ;)

umm i have no idea whats on the live rock, i got it on monday, and the only thing i seem come out was a little featherduster. If you went back a few post you can see a clear picture of the LR.

The purple looking thing looks like it has polys in it but then again i have no idea, nothing came out of it.

any tips?

Is that GSP on the live rock?

I'm jealous of the tank. My wife just got a Spec V to set up a planted FW tank, and I convinced her to let me turn her old Chi into a reef, but I'd really rather have gotten the Spec ;)

Yah the spec v is every fun to play with, but needs a few upgrade to be sw ready

If that purple stuff is kind of rubbery, then it's probably Green Star Polyps. How long have you had the rock? They should be showing their faces soon.

Umm im not sure if its rubbery, i got the rock on tuesday from a LFS it was given to me to help start my tank up

here is a close picture of it, i have never seen anything come out of it yet, if it really is gsp..how do i encourage it to come out?

4c8990e3-674c-43f8-9c94-bb9cb889d013_zps

Yeah, that's definitely GSP. Should look like this:

large_8701_green_star_polyps.jpg

If it's not opening, something about your tank is making it unhappy. Maybe your ammonia levels.

0.25ppm would stress it out? Would it be wise to do a water change? I might just have to let it be and let the tank cycle first :( hope it survives

Just looking at the tank and I believe I found a bristle worm its orange one 1/2 and brown the other its like 1/2 long

I might just have to let it be and let the tank cycle first :( hope it survives

Such is the plight of the live rock hitchhiker. It's hard out there for a pimp.

lnglostsurfer

Hm, I just thought that was coralline algae on the rocks...nice hitchhiker! Sometimes GSP can be finicky, mine didn't open today for no reason whatsoever, but it is pretty resilient so hopefully it survives the cycle.

Clownin_around29

Don't stress if the GSP doesn't live. They are a cheap coral and can buy it for five or ten bucks a frag. Id take the sponge out asap from one Canadian to another! They are huge nitrate traps and won't do that much for filtration. Get a small sponge or cut the one you have.

went to look for my baby feather duster today after not seeing it at all yesterday, to my surprise it has moved to a new place in the dry rock in my scape, Sweet! :P

i taking this as a good sign that it will grow bigger cause its moving to a bigger hole.

the so called "GSP" that i have seems to be getting worst, it doesnt look healthy with that plump purple look. stuff happens i guess during cycles.

Really thinking about changing the back chamber into a fuge, but i have no idea where to begin as there are 2 pumps in the back with a heater.

any advice would be great!

did my weekly test
Temp 74F O_O!
PH-7.8-8.0
1.026 SG
amm - 0.25ppm
nitrite- 0
nitrate - 0
31ae9bc3-e8a3-47de-a456-f0bf1d7a89a8_zps

Was about to do a water change but figured that nothing changed i'll leave it for next monday if i start seeing some nitrite and nitrate.

Also found out that the heater in the back chamber being set at 80F and the temperature in the display side is totally different.

i measured that in the back it is 79-80, but after the pump, pumps out the water the display tank loses like 6 degrees F. so i upped the temperature on the heater and will check how the temperature in the display looks

O yah since i got some time today i went a built a small chamber to change the back into a fuge. its nothing fancy and pretty noob :P but it should work for now. Will make a acrylic one in the future though :)

So there is finally some action in the tank as i believe im getting diatoms bloom in the tank.(my photo is bad with white balance so its whitewashed but there is alot more diatoms in there then it looks)
a1f7d956-30fe-491c-a3f3-e73e5ae2729c_zps

I believe the GSP is dead that came with the live rock and that the feather duster also received the same faith :(

But i found out i have some VERMITID SNAILS and was tripped out at that was happening and found out that they spit out this mucous net thing that looks like a spider web to catch food. very neat indeed!
b03df13f-38c0-43fa-805a-2b97d623d3f6_zps

another thing that i find a bit weird and im not sure what it is, is that when the rubbery stuff of the gsp started falling off, this white branching thing started getting bigger and bigger.

can someone tell me what it is or is it bad?...

20130407_143821_zps4decdcf1.jpg

I'm 100% positive it's GSP looking at the newer photos.

Yea I think you're right looking back, didn't catch where he said it was rubbery. My bad.

lol seaapple? i dont think it could be one, well...it showed itself around a week ago but it was alot smaller.

Rockchalkreef

Im thinking about making my back chamber into a fuge too.. ill be interested to see if you do and how you do it/what you put in it. keep us posted.

As of now im working with a member at another fourm where I live and we're designing and building a fuge insert to keep thr clean look. From his expertise he advised me that cheato and live rock rubble would be thr best choice, so I can at least grow some pods in the back. Ill keep you posted

lnglostsurfer

Still looking good man, can't wait to start seeing this thing stocked. Diatoms are usually a good sign that the cycle is about done so hopefully you can get some good stuff in there soon. Good luck man

if the gsp isnt opening try blowing the algae and detritus off it, it wont open up if its got gunk on top of it. It likes to have flow over it to keep crud off its body.

Archived