Cultivated Reef

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimaster1138

Sigh. It was a decision on keeping the clams or fixing the bigger problem. Maybe when and if I get things stable I'll stick a couple clams in the front where there's a ton of space now. I miss the blue. Or I could just say screw it and get a regal angel. lol

I've kept all the shells. They are in the flower boxes on my balcony dispersed among the plants. It sorta looks cool. Until I think of what the clams looked like alive. And what they cost.

Screw you ESV Satan Salt, screw you with a chain saw.

As of this morning, just the big Derasa remains. All maximas...shells only.

:(

Sigh. It was a decision on keeping the clams or fixing the bigger problem. Maybe when and if I get things stable I'll stick a couple clams in the front where there's a ton of space now. I miss the blue. Or I could just say screw it and get a regal angel. lol

I've kept all the shells. They are in the flower boxes on my balcony dispersed among the plants. It sorta looks cool. Until I think of what the clams looked like alive. And what they cost.

Screw you ESV Satan Salt, screw you with a chain saw.

Jack said he bought one dozen Dr Macs at a swap. :blink:

His wrasse killed them all, would flip them over to get to the bristle worms under them and under any corals he had on the sandbed. I asked if maybe the clams had pyramids, he didn't think so but it's possible I guess.

jedimaster1138

:(

Jack said he bought one dozen Dr Macs at a swap. :blink:

His wrasse killed them all, would flip them over to get to the bristle worms under them and under any corals he had on the sandbed. I asked if maybe the clams had pyramids, he didn't think so but it's possible I guess.

What kind of wrasse? My yellow wrasse kills worms, but leaves the clams alone.

Sigh.

HarryPotter

What kind of wrasse? My yellow wrasse kills worms, but leaves the clams alone.

Sigh.

My Yellow Coris Wrasse leaves the clams alone as well, just occasionally annoying them by picking a pod off their shells.

jedimaster1138

Having a hard time maintaining calcium and alkalinity levels. Magnesium is 1400 ppm. Dozens and dozens of growth tips on the top of purple stylophora, yet the bottom is all dead. hah Safe to say we have calcification happening everywhere. Increasing dosages. Will monitor closely.

Nitrate is undetectable. Phosphate is, I dunno, high? Or something. Cyano is a little less, sorta. Color still isn't great, depending on the color and the coral. All in good time...baby steps are baby.

Not really inclined to back off the NOPOX dose still. Maybe a hair. Still haven't chucked the sand from the refugium.

Biggest problem right now remains the aiptasia scourge. I need something like 99 peppermints from 9 different sources. Some of them have to eat the buggers. Stupid aiptasia. There's one way in the back the size of a golf ball.

Good to hear growth is returning! Berghia worked well for me in the past but this latest round failed in the 29, they died before killing all of them. Peppermints, the right kind in mass numbers, also kill AEFW. Olddude on RC used a hundred in his big SPS tank to solve the AEFW issue.

jedimaster1138

Good to hear growth is returning! Berghia worked well for me in the past but this latest round failed in the 29, they died before killing all of them. Peppermints, the right kind in mass numbers, also kill AEFW. Olddude on RC used a hundred in his big SPS tank to solve the AEFW issue.

It may come to that. There's big aiptasia, medium aiptasia, tiny aiptasia. BAH They don't grow one at a time, they come in by the forest. I don't dare add another Copperband with my Yellow Tang getting bigger and more ornery. I don't know what to do about this short of giving up on my zoanthids and getting a File Fish. Mutter.

There's always some calamity.

I measured potassium last night. Off the scale low. That might explain the Brown Planet and Pro Corals [brown] Rainbow. Maybe. I have some of the Red Sea potassium. I guess I should use a little of it. Appears my salt doesn't have a lot of potassium, or it's getting consumed insanely fast.

Odd about potassium. I occasionally dose but it never really falls much and right now it's high. I really wonder about the accuracy of the test kits. I've read as long as you add it slowly you can have insanely high potassium without any issues.

jedimaster1138

Odd about potassium. I occasionally dose but it never really falls much and right now it's high. I really wonder about the accuracy of the test kits. I've read as long as you add it slowly you can have insanely high potassium without any issues.

Yeah I found it odd too. Unless I performed the test incorrectly, but I don't think so. I'm a pretty smart guy. Sometimes. The difference between the purple and blue solution is obnoxiously close. I have 2 more Triton tests I can send out. I might send one out tomorrow but was waiting to get someplace good with calcium and alkalinity first.

jedimaster1138

Increased calcification explains your low levels as you noted, are you still using Kalk?

Yup. Calcification good. I definitely see some growth. Encrusting and vertical growth. And the one clam that's left -*sniff* - albeit very big, can't be eating all that. So, yay coral growth. Hopefully more color will follow as the months go on.

Kalkwasser and 2-part. I increased the 2-part some last night. I can't increase the kalkwasser anymore without overfilling the sump level. The amount of kalkwasser I'm putting in is right at the evaporation amount.

jedimaster1138

What about pictures? Where are those? :mellow:

The aiptasia ate the pictures.

I found a bunch of them in the teeth of some of one of my overflows. Ugh. I need to figure out a solution to this before I have to give up on the reef.

jedimaster1138

Who here has experience with Salty Underground? They seem to be into the Berghias and I need ... a lot. What worries me though is my wrasses taking them out. The big hunters are the Leopards - Macropharyngodon meleagris - and Yellow - Halichoeres chrysus.

Who here has experience with Salty Underground? They seem to be into the Berghias and I need ... a lot. What worries me though is my wrasses taking them out. The big hunters are the Leopards - Macropharyngodon meleagris - and Yellow - Halichoeres chrysus.

I've ordered from Salty Underground before. Think I got 8 of the smaller ones. Would certainly order again if I ever had to. Took care of every aptasia in the tank and I had some that were pretty large.

jedimaster1138

I've ordered from Salty Underground before. Think I got 8 of the smaller ones. Would certainly order again if I ever had to. Took care of every aptasia in the tank and I had some that were pretty large.

That's good to know. How big is your tank? Any problem with fish gobbling them up?

Archived