ReefCleaners.org

hey's custom pic0... small fts update

hey

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

You have placed your tank in a locale that draws for attention, your living room. It is here that this reef will blossom and take form of the natural beauties of the ocean.

Most reefers begin their tanks in such a similar manner, beautiful location and everything is super clean. But as time passes they forget to clean the back and it just gets this much undesirable un natural look that kills the reefs, that is my opinion.

Two ways to get around that:

1. once a week clean the back, very simple since you have open top!

2. place enough live rock that your back is completed occluded!

I enjoy seeing NUB tanks take off! I'm watching for your success, you are off to a good start!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have placed your tank in a locale that draws for attention, your living room. It is here that this reef will blossom and take form of the natural beauties of the ocean.

Most reefers begin their tanks in such a similar manner, beautiful location and everything is super clean. But as time passes they forget to clean the back and it just gets this much undesirable un natural look that kills the reefs, that is my opinion.

Two ways to get around that:

1. once a week clean the back, very simple since you have open top!

2. place enough live rock that your back is completed occluded!

I enjoy seeing NUB tanks take off! I'm watching for your success, you are off to a good start!

haha yeh I am definitely going with option 1, although that may be difficult as the backs of pic0s are textured so it'll need to be scrubbed.

As someone with more than a bit of experience with this, should i just suck it up and let my cycle take place naturally or would you dose ammonia?

I only ask that because the only live rock I have in the tank is on the right side and it is quite small. I am almost expecting an 8 week cycle.

You could throw in some fish food to help it along, or dose ammonia, whatever is easier. Patience is key though so I would let it do it's thing, no matter how long it takes.

You could throw in some fish food to help it along, or dose ammonia, whatever is easier. Patience is key though so I would let it do it's thing, no matter how long it takes.

yeh I feel like the dosing ammonia would somehow overcomplicate things... a bit of food may be simpler although take slightly longer

I'd just wait it out hey. Take a couple of weeks and keep browsing threads / annoying your LFS. That's what I'll be doing so we'll be in the same boat.

I definitely annoy my 2 lfs's on a pretty frequent basis. One is Fuji's sushi and reef shop... makes me laugh every time i see the sign.

The other is your typical aquarium based lfs... humid not very pretty and guys with a lot of knowledge that they can share... but won't unless you prove yourself to be interested in the hobby and not just a guy thats going to mix up some saltwater throw a nemo in a 10 gal and come back demanding refunds for a dead fish.

It's good that you have some good LFS around. Out of 5 shops in my area there are only 2 that I will visit as well. One they are super helpful, and the other they are trying to make a quick buck for overcharging for EVERYTHING, but have the nicest livestock :wub:

What are your stocking plans? Decide on any fish yet?

It's good that you have some good LFS around. Out of 5 shops in my area there are only 2 that I will visit as well. One they are super helpful, and the other they are trying to make a quick buck for overcharging for EVERYTHING, but have the nicest livestock :wub:

What are your stocking plans? Decide on any fish yet?

My stocking plans are pretty simple 2 clowns to start and I will see how the bioload fairs from there... going to take it very slow fish wise

as for coral, I plan on soft coral/lps tank. I want tons of movement and honestly the muted colors of many of them appeal to me. SPS can be pretty cool looking but honestly in a lot of cases sps tanks look like big coral collections with no theme. I really feel like the bang for your buck aswell lies with lps and softies aswell.

There is a lot in SoCal but I just have to find them lol. I go to 3 on a regular basis.

You're quite lucky on that end. I would love to have a bigger variety. The sushi one is located about 3 mins from my house so I just get my water from there aswell as try to get info from the owner, a bit difficult as he is japanese and I sometimes have difficulty conveying what I am looking for or have a question about.

The other lfs is setting up a massive 600g acrylic tank at the moment which is fun watching them get stuff in for. I think they had 6or so mp40's waiting on it and have an order in on 12 kessil a350s aswell. I am quite excited to see what else they do with it.

My stocking plans are pretty simple 2 clowns to start and I will see how the bioload fairs from there... going to take it very slow fish wise

as for coral, I plan on soft coral/lps tank. I want tons of movement and honestly the muted colors of many of them appeal to me. SPS can be pretty cool looking but honestly in a lot of cases sps tanks look like big coral collections with no theme. I really feel like the bang for your buck aswell lies with lps and softies aswell.

Kewl. I am trying to find something lately with movement and nice color, but won't overgrow my small 10g I'm having a heck of a time deciding, any suggestions? B)

I hear ya about LFS, it's good you seem to have some decent ones within your range. I wonder if the Sushi one with the Japanese guy can order anything special from Japan? They have some awesome stuff there :)

Kewl. I am trying to find something lately with movement and nice color, but won't overgrow my small 10g I'm having a heck of a time deciding, any suggestions? B)

I hear ya about LFS, it's good you seem to have some decent ones within your range. I wonder if the Sushi one with the Japanese guy can order anything special from Japan? They have some awesome stuff there :)

haha yeh, I need to see about a mame for a freshwater project I am working on at a snails pace

haha yeh, I need to see about a mame for a freshwater project I am working on at a snails pace

Do tell...

What is the footprint of the display area? AND.... Still waiting for an update.

lol sorry I have been awol ya'll I am still waiting for the tank to cycle. The footprint of my display is 18x14 and is 16 inches high.

So what's going on? Did you figure out your wire management?

Wires have all been contained with zip ties, if i can get a weekend off I am going to build a false wall in the cabinet to hide all the equipment and mount my controllers to the front of the wall for a very clean look.

Do tell...

My snails pace freshwater project is an ada mini m with an aquasky light hoping to do a mame overflow to a pretty obsurdly sized sump area for all my equipment. It will be co2, currently building a custom dual stage regulator assembly for it just need some sexy stainless steel gauges to go with the rest of the stuff.

The only inhabitants with be crystal red shrimp and I am hoping to be able to dial the co2 in low enough for them to breed.

Thanks for the update :)

I feel like i'm at a snails pace too right now waiting for the tank to cycle... :closedeyes:

I like the ideas of the false wall in the cabinet ;)

Thanks for the update :)

I feel like i'm at a snails pace too right now waiting for the tank to cycle... :closedeyes:

I like the ideas of the false wall in the cabinet ;)

It definitely gives you a cool place to mount the controllers for the mp10 and apex and osmolator and well anything else

• 2 weeks later...

Archived