ReefCleaners.org

ADA 60-F Build + Brand new Nano Frag Tank (5g AIO)

qualitycontrol

qualitycontrol

Update:

I put my sand, rock and water in the 60F. Added a small Koralia Nano and heater to help with any cycling as the rock was once live but dead when I got it (free).

Been cycling the rock in a bucket for about 2 weeks and the ammonia is almost at 0. I will let it sit in the aquarium a couple more weeks before I start anything new.

Here they are.

post-46904-0-83644100-1360975056_thumb.jpg

post-46904-0-85485300-1360975068_thumb.jpg

post-46904-0-34742900-1360975078_thumb.jpg

post-46904-0-30431000-1360975086_thumb.jpg

post-46904-0-07979800-1360975094_thumb.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
qualitycontrol

I will, so far the tank is just sitting idle as I am waiting for my levels to drop to 0.

I am really digging the scape. I spent almost 2 hours trying to piece together a few nice flat spots for a few different corals. I am hoping a clam will dig my shelf in one of the rocks.

I put down egg crate underneith it all to ensure I would not scratch the bottom glass. Not sure how a shrimp will do with the crate, but I tried to put enough sand in their to keep someone happy.

So far I have a clown and a pygmy goby in my other tank that will be finding their new home. I might do a shrimp goby pair but time will tell on how crowded it looks with coral. I want the fishes to have place to swim. The clown is the only one that really swims. The goby purches himself on a rock and relaxes most of the day.

• 2 weeks later...
qualitycontrol

Well, nothing new to report. I have added a nice stainless handle to the door of my stand. Other then that I am working on my plans for the bottom. I will post pictures this week.

I am also working on my plans for the inside of the stand. I ordered a lovely glass auto top off container. Why glass? Well I figure its scratch proof and very easy to clean, and it was pretty cheap.

With that I am thinking of making a hybrid refuge/algae scrubber. I am thinking of making a two compartment tank. One with DSB and macro algae with a nan-glo. Then the second compartment with my scrubber.

qualitycontrol

Anyone have any experience with the Two Little Fishies Kalk reactor? I heard the stirrer nozel clogs as it does not run all the time. I was hoping to run this reactor in an auto top off resevoir with the osmolator and leave the maxi-jet for the kalk reactor running continually. Is it possible to over concentrate your top off water with kalk?

qualitycontrol

Update:

While the 60-F is cycling, I found a buyer for my biocube. Now because I have some live stock in there, I decided I needed a storage solution quick and here is what I ended up with.

It is a 5g frag tank that is 30"L X 10"W X 5"T made with 1/2" acrylic. It is an AIO and will receive a return pump, and some mechanical/chemical filtration. Thought about a mini fuge, but it looks kind of small.

So here I go setting up tank number 2.

P1200185_zps9d9309cc.jpg

P1200202_zpsa470a062.jpg

P1200192_zps3532b471.jpg

P1200190_zps5f1e2808.jpg

P1200204_zpsd31169e5.jpg

qualitycontrol

should be good to keep my 60-F stocked. Quarantine/frag tank. I am going full NANO.

Now I have to find equipment for it all.

qualitycontrol

Any suggestions for the light over that 36" X 10" X 5"?

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a light for this tank. Primarily a frag tank so would a two bulb T5 be enough? Or should I use to nuvo 8 14K 8w fixtures?

qualitycontrol

Well I decided to put an AI Nano over it. Because it is only 5" tall, I should be able to live the AI Nano high enough to cover it and get good coral growth from the shallow depth.

Here is what I bought today.

Two little fishes Kalk Reactor

Tunze Osmolator 3155 top off

MP10ES Wireless - Wet, dry and driver with RF

MP10 Dry and ES driver

Have a spare wet MP10 and another full old version blue box MP10

I will have two AI nano's. One over the ADA and the other over the frag.

Both will get MP10's

Kalk reactor will go with ADA and I am hoping to put together a do!aqua mini M 5g fuge with ATO floats and kalk reactor.

I will go to my warehouse in Niagara Falls and pick up all the new equipment on Friday.

Exciting developments. You have two fun builds going there. It should be enough to keep you busy for quite a while.

That 5G AIO is gonna rock w/ that equipment list. Don't forget the MP10 Pico Shield :)

qualitycontrol

I know I have to get them to send me another one. I only have one for my 60-F right now.

So here is an update. I finally finished my cycle on a very large lot of rocks and slowly going through them to find out what i like. So far I am happy, but I am not sure about the rock on the right. It might be a tad big, but ok for some small SPS as they will be lose to the top.

Just waiting on my MP10's, and my ATO resevoir. No bare in mind, alll that equipment will be gone when I finalize a sump.

finallc.jpg

qualitycontrol

So here is my update. The ADA is running, but trying to figure out whether to run a sump or canister filter. Will figure that out. Also need to make a light hanger.

But my addition of a frag tank is really nice. I just purchase a 4 bulb aquaticlife T5 fixture to go over this tank. It will give me 28.3 watts of power per gallon.

Here are a few pictures with my AI Nano that I am going to sell as I got the T5.

Now I had a hell of a time finding a return pump. I originally tried a maxi-jet 1200. Way too much flow, which was blowing water over the side and all over my laundry room floor. I then tried a maxi-jet 600. This seems to be the ticket with great flow but not too much.

Add an MP10 into the mix and my corals will be blowing all over the place.

frag5.jpg

frag4i.jpg

frag3.jpg

frag2.jpg

frag1.jpg

So here is my update. The ADA is running, but trying to figure out whether to run a sump or canister filter. Will figure that out. Also need to make a light hanger.

But my addition of a frag tank is really nice. I just purchase a 4 bulb aquaticlife T5 fixture to go over this tank. It will give me 28.3 watts of power per gallon.

Here are a few pictures with my AI Nano that I am going to sell as I got the T5.

Now I had a hell of a time finding a return pump. I originally tried a maxi-jet 1200. Way too much flow, which was blowing water over the side and all over my laundry room floor. I then tried a maxi-jet 600. This seems to be the ticket with great flow but not too much.

Add an MP10 into the mix and my corals will be blowing all over the place.

frag1.jpg

HOLY MOLIE! That looks crazy good! Yea the 4 bulb T5 was the best choice. You'll get great even spread and it will finish off the look of the whole setup. Wow, so that MP10 must blow water over the sides with a Pico guide on it?

I would almost think you could go with just the maxi jet 1200 with split 'Y' loc line. One pointing where it is now and the other bent around pointing to the return side of the tank if the MP10 proved to be to much?

Dang man, to many people want to see this AIO, it deserves it own thread. Thanks for sharing, looking good!

Just buy the damn thing and review it for us! That way you can put the haters to rest.

How about I get it for my ADA that I will be setting up in the comming weeks.

qualitycontrol

HOLY MOLIE! That looks crazy good! Yea the 4 bulb T5 was the best choice. You'll get great even spread and it will finish off the look of the whole setup. Wow, so that MP10 must blow water over the sides with a Pico guide on it?

I would almost think you could go with just the maxi jet 1200 with split 'Y' loc line. One pointing where it is now and the other bent around pointing to the return side of the tank if the MP10 proved to be to much?

Dang man, to many people want to see this AIO, it deserves it own thread. Thanks for sharing, looking good!

OK OK, I will setup a thread for this tank. Was trying to combine them so I did not have to keep responding to two threads, but you might be right.

As for the Maxi 1200 vs MP10, you might be right. I will do some trial and error, its just with the Maxi 1200, I had noticable water over the edge. Because the MP10 is set further back, it pushes water down the front nicely. I need to get the light and some corals and see how it fairs.

Deleted User 4

How about I get it for my ADA that I will be setting up in the comming weeks.

Lolol you're buying the fluval g3? Sweet.

What lights will you be using over the ada 60f? Qualitycontrol?

qualitycontrol

Right now I have a AI Nano over that tank at a height of 10" over the water line.

Works out quite well and good colour.

qualitycontrol

So here is an update.

As I scour North America to put together a final setup, my tank is running. I got the bug for some corals so instead of spending hundreds on equipment for the aquarium. I bought a new DJ mixer for my DJ setup and splurged on some corals. just a few.

As for the frag tank, well that will have to wait until I buy more coral. I just don't have the funds to fully stock two tanks right now, nor do I want to spend a boat load to stock. It is really hard to find good pieces cheap here so filling up a tank isn't easy.

Oh and I bought a trochus snail to take care of a little algae I have. If he eats it all which I am guessing he will, I will have to buy him some food.

ada1p.jpg

zoas4.jpg

zoas3.jpg

zoas2m.jpg

zoas1.jpg

zoa5.jpg

lps1.jpg

trochus.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
qualitycontrol

Well there has not been much of an update really because nothing has changed, UNTIL NOW!

I found someone who made me a glass overflow, and it is not from Japan. It is in transit so as soon as it gets here, I will hopefully setup if not broken. I can then start my mini M sump setup with kalk dosing into sump from custom ATO resevoir.

I will also be making a custom light stand, and am thinking about producing these for the public to order if I get enough interest.

Pictures will come in the next few weeks as things roll in.

As for the 5g AIO, I have everything needed except coral. I was thinking of getting rid of the AIO but decided to start fragging my zoa's and set this thing up.

Archived