Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ADA 60-F Build + Brand new Nano Frag Tank (5g AIO)

qualitycontrol

qualitycontrol

I will run pipes. I do not really want to drill as I hate the look of those black bulkheads. The guy I am talking with is building a glass overflow.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4

I will run pipes. I do not really want to drill as I hate the look of those black bulkheads. The guy I am talking with is building a glass overflow.

No I meant the stand not the tank. Aren't you going to place the canister/sump inside of the stand?? I have the same stand, and you would have to drill the stand.

qualitycontrol

Oh yes I will be drilling the stand. I have a 2 and 3" hole saw so I am currently looking for a nice brushed metal cover kind of like the screw on bulkheads. I can use a black tank bulk head, but would like a nice metal one.

I will be placing the scrubber and possibly canister in the stand along with various other items

• Like 1
qualitycontrol

Update: After building my algae scrubber and trying to incorporate it into my biocube, I found one major flaw that I should have seen. Basically my setup is running a maxi-jet 400 to my chiller and return again. I was going to empty the chiller in the algae scrubber and use another maxi-jet 400 to pump that back into the tank. I created a siphon with my chiller output so if the power ever goes out, I am in big trouble.

So until I can find a cheap check valve to incorporate into my 1/2" tubing I am SOL for now.

The 60-F is waiting on free rock I am going to pick up this weekend. I was going to use the rock from my biocube but its full of algae so I decided to leave that tank as it is until I can get rid of the algae.

qualitycontrol

Where you getting your rocks from? Dry or live?

Will a check valve prevent the problem if there were a power outage?

Rock is live, I found a guy who is getting out of the hobby and that is all he has left. I will go check it out and if I want it I can take it.

As for the check valve thats what it is. It is basically like a one way door. Positive pressure allows water to flow through one way, but as water flows the opposite direction the weight of the water closes the door against the seal and stops the water.

Looking at check valves they run anywhere from $16-50. So I actually had a better idea. I am going to put a 1/2" T in the line, and the T will have a 1/2" hose going up into the air 2 ft or so. Pump will pump into the tank, but if the pump stops, the T will cause a siphon break allowing air in and break the siphon. A lot cheaper solution to my problem. Should have the algae scrubber running tomorrow night.

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

Rock is live, I found a guy who is getting out of the hobby and that is all he has left. I will go check it out and if I want it I can take it.

As for the check valve thats what it is. It is basically like a one way door. Positive pressure allows water to flow through one way, but as water flows the opposite direction the weight of the water closes the door against the seal and stops the water.

Looking at check valves they run anywhere from $16-50. So I actually had a better idea. I am going to put a 1/2" T in the line, and the T will have a 1/2" hose going up into the air 2 ft or so. Pump will pump into the tank, but if the pump stops, the T will cause a siphon break allowing air in and break the siphon. A lot cheaper solution to my problem. Should have the algae scrubber running tomorrow night.

I see. :)

kriskristofferzen

I am guessing you've checked out ATS.net or whatever site that is? Interested in seeing how you plumb it into the setup. I might run one but plumb it separately and use a small pump in the sump. Right now my sump is a 20g H so it would easily fit another pump (no baffles). Good luck with the setup. There was a really cool unit that floyd (i think that is who was selling them) had made with LED lights and small

acrylic box but is a little expensive. Looks really cool and sleek though.

qualitycontrol

I have two pumps. One pumps water through my it's and the other returns water to the tank. I will put a T fitting in my supply line to break the siphon if my return pump ever fails or if power goes out.

qualitycontrol

Here she is up and running on my biocube. Now I have a a maxijet pumping water into the scrubber, and a return pump to the tank.

The return pump line is out of the water so no siphon here. But the supply pump creates a siphon, so I have engineered my own little take on a standpipe overflow without the overflow. This breaks the siphon and there is a ball valve to regulate how much water is delivered so it will not over flow. Now because it is so hard to match the pumps output, I have taken my ATO float switches and revered there operation so they stop the supply pump in the display tank if the water gets too high in the scrubber. As this pump shuts down, the return pump will remove the required amount of water, and once it does, the supply pump will resume operation.

Check it out.

I am guessing you've checked out ATS.net or whatever site that is? Interested in seeing how you plumb it into the setup. I might run one but plumb it separately and use a small pump in the sump. Right now my sump is a 20g H so it would easily fit another pump (no baffles). Good luck with the setup. There was a really cool unit that floyd (i think that is who was selling them) had made with LED lights and small

acrylic box but is a little expensive. Looks really cool and sleek though.

That is the site that had the most information but not the only place I got my ideas from. I Flloyd's units but at $340 I will build my own. Engineering is part of the hobby I love. Solving this problem was quite fun!

post-46904-0-86333100-1359425208_thumb.jpg

post-46904-0-82911100-1359425219_thumb.jpg

post-46904-0-87456000-1359425228_thumb.jpg

post-46904-0-82911900-1359425237_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
qualitycontrol

So I called my wife this morning and she had mentioned to me that the scrubber has some algae growth already. I guess I had high nitrates and phosphates. Very interested to see how it looks.

• Like 1
qualitycontrol

Update: I have been closely monitoring the algae scrubber hoping to see something and today to my surprise this is what I see!

Cannot believe I am growing algae already! Now I need to watch the display and see what happens.

Also I am going to pick up the sand and rock for the ADA on Friday evening. Hoping to put together a time lapse of me working on the tank this weekend.

post-46904-0-88688900-1359594729_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Canister gets you dead silence and a lot less risk in flooding.

Sump lets you grow chaeto, run a skimmer discretely, and can greatly increase your water volume. I've never been able to get a overflow be dead quiet though.

I run a sump for my high load FOWLR tank and I run a canister for my low bioload coral only tank.

• Like 1
qualitycontrol

Trying to get my hands on a Fluval G3 I found forsale locally. Nice and cheap so again, lets wait and see if I get a response.

The algae scrubber seems to be working nicely. So far there is stuff growing.

Deleted User 4

Trying to get my hands on a Fluval G3 I found forsale locally. Nice and cheap so again, lets wait and see if I get a response.

The algae scrubber seems to be working nicely. So far there is stuff growing.

Say what??? MMMhhhMMM I can't wait to see this fluval g3 in the works!!! :)

qualitycontrol

Haha, that is if it goes through. At this point I haven't received an email or response and I emailed about it on Monday, so I might end up with an Eheim 2217.

Time will tell.

qualitycontrol

Update: I scored big tonight with free rock and sand. I found a guy getting rid of it. I just had to make the drive to get it and without hesitation I did. Big score.

This is not all of it, these are the main pieces that were pretty nice. Also got sand too for free.

post-46904-0-49652000-1359759565_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
qualitycontrol

I was surprised to find such nice pieces. I was expecting ugly, algae ridden rocks but instead I got beautiful display pieces.

That big piece is about 15 lbs.

• Like 1
qualitycontrol

Ok so looking at the scrubber, I see more and more growth everyday. I guess I did something right because all the research I have done led me to believe I would not see anything for the first week or two. Well it looks promising.

Also starting working on the scape a little bit trying to figure out which pieces to use I have come up this. Setup my bucket for curing the rock before I get everything wet! Lets see how long that takes.

post-46904-0-85990700-1359768513_thumb.jpg

post-46904-0-19804100-1359768524_thumb.jpg

post-46904-0-75002500-1359768542_thumb.jpg

post-46904-0-92214900-1359768566_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
qualitycontrol

No real updates as I am cooking some rock for the tank. It was dead so I am trying to get rid of all the die off and get it back in shape.

The algae scrapper is working well. I cleaned off the screen after 7 days so lets see what she does now. No new pics, but they will come.

Archived