Innovative Marine Aquariums

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the reign of the Toyota 86 (Scion FRS) is over :(. Crashed it not a hour ago dropping a friend home and trying to avoid a stray dog on the road. Just what I need.

:( :( :(

Going to replace it with the insurance or get something different or have you even thought that far head?

Damn man that really sucks she was a beauty.... but definitely glad to hear you and your friend are ok, the car can be replaced ;)

Thanks Chris.Yeah cars can be replaced I know, I'm more dissapointed at myself I guess. I made a rookie mistake and it has cost me something I worked so hard to obtain.

:( :( :(

Going to replace it with the insurance or get something different or have you even thought that far head?

All depends on how things go tomorrow I guess. Public holiday today being father's day over here so once the insurance company assesses my claim tomorrow (Monday) and they get the report from the crash repair we will go from there. If they give the the repair or replace option I will order in a new one. There isn't much else in that price range that I can get brand new that I really like and I would like to avoid second hand if possible. I don't think the insurance would pay out on a second hand car either.

NorthGaHillbilly

Thanks mate. I'm fine but the car has definitely seen better days, may be beyond repair. I'm just glad that my friend and I weren't hurt and that I managed to miss the parked cars.

Glad your both alright, thats whats important

Glad your both alright, thats whats important

Thanks mate.

sorry to hear about the car, but glad you are ok. hope insurance comes through.

Thanks Ninja, yeah I hope it all works out also.

Nice tank! That sucks about your car. I know the feeling of having your "baby" damaged. I was pissed when someone backed into my BRZ.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it :). I am extremely protective of my car, I followed the 86 concept for the 3 years prior to its production announcement and then waited two years post initial launch before making the purchase. I have had the car just over 6 months now and am literally crushed today over what happened last night. I worried so much about it last night that I only got 3 hours sleep and the anxiety that built up made my physically sick. What's done is done I guess, I'd be even more angry if the damage was done by a total stranger, I'm just disappointed in myself for what happened I guess. I'd like to think I would have been better off hitting the dog but I would feel even worse knowing that I potentially killed someones pet intentionally.

The result of the damage:

https://imageshack.com/i/ipNtYca2j'>NtYca2.jpg

Doesn't look like much but I hit the tree dead on on the drivers side (front right) wheel trying to get my friend in the passenger seat out of the danger zone. I almost made it past the tree entirely but I guess it wasn't my night. The front right lower control arm has buckled and been pushed back shifting the front right wheel back about 6 inches. As a result the front right shock snapped, the sway bar snapped and the alignment of the front left wheel has been thrown out. Front bumper and right front quarter are gone, drivers side door has shifted back, hood is visibly cracked, front right headlight is cracked and the front right rim is buckled on the inside. The rear bumper will also need to be replaced as it has been scratched up pretty bad and cracked and the roof will need a respray due to scratches from the branches. I wasn't able to get the hood open to see how badly things have shifted but my guess would be damage to the front right motor mount and a buckled radiator support bar. I am hoping that the chassis rail is still OK which will give grounds to repair the car, especially considering the airbags didn't deploy.

That sucks man! Hopefully the money from the insurance will be enough.

Thanks mate. I still haven't heard back from the insurance company yet but I will keep you all posted on the outcome. Looks like my sump isntall is going to be put off again.

Finally trying to get caught up! I love the new scape. I really like the new bonsai pillar and how you included those barnacles in the base. Also, I'm super jealous of where you live :) I always love your outdoor photos!

Finally trying to get caught up! I love the new scape. I really like the new bonsai pillar and how you included those barnacles in the base. Also, I'm super jealous of where you live :) I always love your outdoor photos!

Thanks for catching up Felicia :). I thought the barnacles really finished off the pillar nicely. My blenny really seems to appreciate the extra hidey holes also. I do complain about where I live a lot (having to work on the vineyard) but at the end of the day the view makes it all worth it.

Just for you Felicia, here is a shot I took a few years back of a storm front mixing with a sunset:

7169223981_6d8a1073cb_o.jpg

Thanks for that photo, Jase! What a stunning sunset and great photography skills on your part. I absolutely love going up to wine country in Northern California. Its just so beautiful and relaxing. I'm sure it has its drawbacks living on a vineyard, but its definitely pretty!

Thanks for that photo, Jase! What a stunning sunset and great photography skills on your part. I absolutely love going up to wine country in Northern California. Its just so beautiful and relaxing. I'm sure it has its drawbacks living on a vineyard, but its definitely pretty!

My pleasure Felicia, glad you liked it :D. The photo took a bit of photoshop wizardy to get it to that stage but I'm happy with how it turned out. I had to split the image in half so I could alter the brightness of the grass to make the sunset really pop. The original picture was really dark with the grass being almsot black in comparison the the sky. Can't argue with that, it is really pretty in the summer time and in spring around where I live. Out of the way of all the hustle and bustle of the big city also which is great.

#### the car, glad you're ok. A lot of people don't walk away from these kinds of accidents!

At the end of the day I guess that's all that matters Mark. I'm glad that no one was hurt and I'm thankful that I was able to react fast enough to ensure my friend was unharmed and try to limit the damage to the car.

Oh gosh...sorry about the car. But I am too glad you are ok. Cars can be replaced...but still sorry for your loss :(.

Thanks Gena. Now I just have to deal with the insurance company which I feel to be more painful then the loss of the car.

The result of the damage:

NtYca2.jpg

Doesn't look like much but I hit the tree dead on

Damn, Jase!

Glad you're OK man.

-I see how that happened though. I'd file a lawsuit against the manufacturer. They obviously installed your steering wheel on the wrong side of the car :rant:

Damn, Jase!

Glad you're OK man.

-I see how that happened though. I'd file a lawsuit against the manufacturer. They obviously installed your steering wheel on the wrong side of the car :rant:

Cheers mate. I think you may be on to something though, guess I should also confront them about the fact that a Toyota was delivered not a Scion haha.

Cheers mate. I think you may be on to something though, guess I should also confront them about the fact that a Toyota was delivered not a Scion haha.

Have you heard anything yet....they going to total it out?

Have you heard anything yet....they going to total it out?

Just got a call from my friend’s younger brother who cleans cars at the dealer my car was taken to from repairs, same dealer I purchased from also. The mechanics have given the car a quick visual assessment (they aren't allowed to touch the car until insurance gives them the OK) and apparently they are saying 10K plus in damage. This could be higher once they start pulling parts off the car to see the extent of the damage.

As for the insurance company, I have not heard anything from them. I called them yesterday to provide them with the police report number and they let me know that the claim had been assigned to a case manager. I should hear from them by the end of the week I guess.

Ya....I'm guessing it's a total. You know that was some serious impact.

Hopefully they take care of you......or you may be riding a postie.

I figure the same. They will either classify it as a write off or a repairable write off and give me the option to repair if I want. I have already started looking at alternatives so I can cover my bases. I absolutely love this car and would gladly drive another one but I'd like to know what my options are. I could get a 370Z second hand or even a BMW 135i for similar money to what this is insured for, both options with 20K or so Kms on the clock. Either that or a 6L V8...

I figure the same. They will either classify it as a write off or a repairable write off and give me the option to repair if I want. I have already started looking at alternatives so I can cover my bases. I absolutely love this car and would gladly drive another one but I'd like to know what my options are. I could get a 370Z second hand or even a BMW 135i for similar money to what this is insured for, both options with 20K or so Kms on the clock. Either that or a 6L V8...

Hmmm, I'd get what you had....or the Nissan Z.

Hmmm, I'd get what you had....or the Nissan Z.

Dad has been eyeing off a 350Z and now the 370Z for close to a decade now. I think he would disapprove even more of this choice haha.

Archived