Coral Vue Hydros

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the pillar, any troubles with the cycle?

Thank you :). No problems so far with a cycle. I soaked the rock for about 2 weeks in fresh water, replacing the water every few days before putting the pillar together. Once it was assembled I soaked it for a few extra days incase the epoxy was leaching anything. Definitely let the rock dry before trying to epoxy it together, makes a huge difference. Before putting it in the tank I restocked both my carbon and GFO just to be safe. There were a few diatom patches on the pillar here and there for the first few days before they dissapeared. It has been about a week and a half since I installed the pillar and it is already full of bristle worms and I am hoping the pods follow.

Very nice. The SPS will love it up there!

They seem to be enjoying it so far. I placed the MP10 slightly further back in the tank and it blows water over the face of the pillar so I definitely think they are enjoying that also. I snapped a few pics last night without the tank lights on, was about 10.30pm and got some really nice shots showing the true colour of the pieces as well as some good PE shots. I'll post them up when I get the chance.

I might have to push my sump install date back yet again. I will have no time to do anything to the tank over the next few weekends besides the water change I will do on Sunday. On the upside, the sump is now 100% complete! I finished making the last few pieces I needed last weekend. Now I just need to fill it up and test test it and pray that the almost 10 month project hasn't been a waste of time. A few weekends ago Dad helped me drag the tank off the wall 6" or so so I could access the rear of the tank for plumbing. I will have to modify the light bracket slightly as I require a pit more depth now but that will be an easy fix. Once the hardlines for the drain and return are done I can do the final install of the sump and hopefully get it all wet. My control box for the lights and fans in hte stand has hit a roadblock. I wired it all up and it doesn't work as intended. I believe the issue is with the switches I used. I am essentially splitting a 12v 2a current into 2 channels and have used a 12v 2A switch on each channel. When both channels are under load I think the current isn't enough to trigger the switches. I have a few 12v 1A switches laying around that have been hacked appart to a degree. When I have time I will mock a pair of them up and temporarily install them to see if that fixes the problem. Realistically in a stand as enclosed as mine I really need the fans working before the sump goes in otherwise the moisture will kill all the electronics.

I might have to push my sump install date back yet again. I will have no time to do anything to the tank over the next few weekends besides the water change I will do on Sunday. On the upside, the sump is now 100% complete! I finished making the last few pieces I needed last weekend. Now I just need to fill it up and test test it and pray that the almost 10 month project hasn't been a waste of time. A few weekends ago Dad helped me drag the tank off the wall 6" or so so I could access the rear of the tank for plumbing. I will have to modify the light bracket slightly as I require a pit more depth now but that will be an easy fix. Once the hardlines for the drain and return are done I can do the final install of the sump and hopefully get it all wet. My control box for the lights and fans in hte stand has hit a roadblock. I wired it all up and it doesn't work as intended. I believe the issue is with the switches I used. I am essentially splitting a 12v 2a current into 2 channels and have used a 12v 2A switch on each channel. When both channels are under load I think the current isn't enough to trigger the switches. I have a few 12v 1A switches laying around that have been hacked appart to a degree. When I have time I will mock a pair of them up and temporarily install them to see if that fixes the problem. Realistically in a stand as enclosed as mine I really need the fans working before the sump goes in otherwise the moisture will kill all the electronics.

That's quite a list. GL getting it all done!

That's quite a list. GL getting it all done!

Thanks Ark. Realistically not that much work do do, probably 2 hours or so of plumbing and them some messing around with the control box but it is 3-4 hours I can't seem to find lately :(.

Thanks Ark. Realistically not that much work do do, probably 2 hours or so of plumbing and them some messing around with the control box but it is 3-4 hours I can't seem to find lately :(.

Ya, that's the thing. GL finding the time! :D

So I had a spare half hour tonight so I tidied up those shots of the tank I took the other night trying to catch the SPS in some natural light.

These are the best of them:

https://imageshack.com/i/iqa0Y0EJj'>a0Y0EJ.jpg
https://imageshack.com/i/kpCbywJIj'>CbywJI.jpg
https://imageshack.com/i/kqS2nzrej'>S2nzre.jpg
https://imageshack.com/i/knI7x17Wj'>I7x17W.jpg
https://imageshack.com/i/iqHLoM53j'>HLoM53.jpg

I saw something in one of my SPS colonies tonight during feeding, thought it was some food or something so I hit it with the turkey baster and this popped out:

https://imageshack.com/i/iq6UyM0Hj'>6UyM0H.jpg

https://imageshack.com/i/iqMsAYNkj'>MsAYNk.jpg

I forgot that the colony had a resident acro crab, I have never seen one molt before. I guess taking Nanotopia's advice and target feeding them was a good idea :).

The fungia got a nice snack also:

https://imageshack.com/i/p8N3KTOCj'>N3KTOC.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

really diggin the fungia, as well as the sps, any tips you could give me for a successful lps and sps tank? Im kickin ass and taking names as far as LPS growth goes, but acros arnt diggin things

really diggin the fungia, as well as the sps, any tips you could give me for a successful lps and sps tank? Im kickin ass and taking names as far as LPS growth goes, but acros arnt diggin things

Thanks :). I have always had success with keeping LPS, SPS on the other hand I have had a lot of trouble with over the last few months. Placement and flow is a big thing for both types, few LPS can tolerate high direct flow, SPS love it. Light is important also, if you want to keep SPS I reccomend tailoring the light to suit them and utilise your scape to provide shaded spots for LPS and softies. Nutrients can play a big part also, LPS seem fine with it but high nutrients can brown out SPS and stunt their growth. The biggest thing though would be stable parameters. LPS can take small Alk swings pretty well, it really stresses out SPS and can kill pieces within a few hours depending how drastic the change is. I'm by no means an expert on SPS but I have found these factors to be critical in my tank anyway. Hopefully you can tweak things a bit to really get the SPS going :).

That's a cutie little crab :wub:. Once my acros grow up, I'm gonna get a few of those :).

They sure are cute and very small haha, that is my pinkie finger. I'm lucky, most of my smaller bushier acro colonies have come with an acro crab or two. I have never seen them available for sale individually before, looks like Live Aquaria have some really nice ones for sale though. Some varieties can damage the host colony but the ones I have always had are pretty good. Specimen 2 and 9 in the below link look to be the ones I typically get:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/coral_crabs.html

They sure are cute and very small haha, that is my pinkie finger. I'm lucky, most of my smaller bushier acro colonies have come with an acro crab or two. I have never seen them available for sale individually before, looks like Live Aquaria have some really nice ones for sale though. Some varieties can damage the host colony but the ones I have always had are pretty good. Specimen 2 and 9 in the below link look to be the ones I typically get:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/coral_crabs.html

Awesome link! I bookmarked it :).

Big Big Big! mistake by me :(.

I was wondering why my Alk kept dropping down and stabilising around 7.8dKH no matter how many ml per day I dosed or how much extra manual dosing I did. Seems that for some reason the doser reverted from Auto mode back to Manual mode :furious: . I have put the doser back to the previous settings I had plus a few extra ml an I will test after work tonight. If the Alk has risen I have fixed my problem, again, if it doesn't rise I may have a faulty pump. My green stag has been looking bad as of late, looks like I found the culprit, hopefully it recovers.

The good news is 7.8 isn't bad for acros. :-) I love your new pillar and tiny crabs! Looking forward to seeing it grow out.

Yeah not too bad but it has still knocked them around a bit, Alk would have been swinging from around 9dKH for the last few weeks now. Still an improvement over the 6.6dKH I had before I started dosing. I really love the pillar, it makes me want to make two more of smaller sizes and transplant everything in a 3 pillar configuration (two front and one back) but I really need to stop messing around with the tank and get this sump installed!

Well, the reign of the Toyota 86 (Scion FRS) is over :(. Crashed it not a hour ago dropping a friend home and trying to avoid a stray dog on the road. Just what I need.

Ahh shit man. Sorry to hear. :( Hope you're OK though.

Thanks mate. I'm fine but the car has definitely seen better days, may be beyond repair. I'm just glad that my friend and I weren't hurt and that I managed to miss the parked cars.

Archived